The Usage Of The Word- "BLOODY" In Tourism Ads. (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Cultural Cringe?

Regarding the 'bloody' controversy surrounding the tourism ads:

Bloody has always been a very common part of Australian speech and has not been considered profane for some time. The word was christened "the Australian adjective" by The Bulletin on 18 August 1894. In the 1940s an Australian divorce court judge held that "the word bloody is so common in modern parlance that it is not regarded as swearing".
I dont see what the fuss is about to be honest.

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC

The adds will work however they should have considered that 'hell' is a swear word in more conservative parts of the USA.

Personally I think the older Hoges adverts were able to convey Aussie cheekiness without the need for course strine. And you know how much some people hate course strine.

http://blogs.smh.com.au/newsblog/archives/your_say/003667.html

Also I tend to agree with some of the posts in SMH blogs. The advert is ok but I think they could have done a better job.

Generator

HSC
N/A

erawamai said:
The adds will work however they should have considered that 'hell' is a swear word in more conservative parts of the USA.
According to the head of the tourism body (yesterday on 702), the ads will not be shown in such areas given that most Yankee tourists tend to be from California and the north east.

davin

HSC
N/A

hmmm....seems like a good commercial to me.

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC

I rekon the ad does a great job of portraying the laid back attitude of Aussies in general, and Australia as a holiday destination known throughout the world. All this fuss is just basically contradicting this.

kiteblood

HSC

The commercial is stupid. 'Bloody' may be a widely accepted piece of colloquial Australian language, but as far as I know, it has no positive connotations.

The words 'bloody hell' are almost exclusively used to express anger or frustration. It is not a jovial expression. I mean, read that sentence; "Where the bloody hell are you?" To me it sounds more as though we're berating people for not being here, rather than extending a friendly invitation to visit. The 'context' seems forced.

I don't see the point of using a 'distinctly Australian' expression in a tourism campaign targeted at other countries, with entirely different sets of idioms and expressions. (I don't think it tells so much about our culture, as our apparent tendency to swear)

The film features scenes of everyday Australians - not actors - pulling schooners of beer, swimming on deserted beaches and walking camels.
Who the bloody hell walks a camel?

stainmepink

HSC

we ride kangaroos and camels all the time mate!

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
There has been controversy over the use of "bloody". So far, there have been stories from where these ads have been aired.
So what do you bloody think?

volition

arr.
HSC
I reckon they're ok, I don't think the word "bloody" is really that bad

Nesty

Proud TB =)
HSC
just leave the bloody word alone... the only swear word i know is fuck.. oppss.. did i say it again..

davin

HSC
N/A
my question, why bother with camels? no one is gonna follow that

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
I don't understand how they can have Ali G sa whatever he wants and they don't wanna hear bloody. Confuses me to tears even though it is a half decent advertisement.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I'm more annoyed it's perpetuating a stereotype of Australian people. Using bloody is fine, the bugger ads were good as well (the one with the dog, I think it was for aami or something).

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
The ad where the Bold and Beautiful actor impersonates the "ossie", with the jist being 'nothing beats the original' was brilliant.
The bloody ads arent even funny. That's my beef with them.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Xayma said:
I'm more annoyed it's perpetuating a stereotype of Australian people. Using bloody is fine, the bugger ads were good as well (the one with the dog, I think it was for aami or something).
The Bugger ones were for Toyota. They were banned because the religious Nazi's got all offended because it was celebrating gay-man-sex (seriously, whoever knew that 'bugger' meant anal sex? Not me!)

I don't mind the Bloody ads either. Not the greatest thing I've ever seen, but they portray a relaxed vibe, which is good.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
celebrating gay-man-sex (seriously, whoever knew that 'bugger' meant anal sex? Not me!)
Its funny cause my friend did not know this and used to say "bugger me" and also "bugger me up the ass"

I think the controversy is a GOOD thing. More publicity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)