The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

asdads333

Ive finished my training now and i'm hired as permanent part time but after 3 weeks they only give me 4 hrs (one shift). 2 weeks ago they said they made the roster so i had to wait till monday, and now the new roster they give me just Saturday a 4hr shift.

so what im wondering is if im counted as casual since im on probation because shouldn't i get a min of 15 hrs as permanent part time?

HSC
KaaN10 said:
Ok well I'm 15 and been working in produce for about 2 months and the past 3 weeks I have done a total of 0 hours. I am being offered register shifts but I don't want to do register at all and decline them. Grocery is packed and they wont let me do that. Should I be looking for a job at food places like McDonalds, KFC, Red Rooster, Hungry Jacks etc? That might be better for a 15 year old... What do you guys think?

PS: I know some of you are going to say talk to your produce manager but I'm pissed off at him. I lost my hours become some fag joined produce hes older and more experianced and he gets the shift I'm supposed to be getting.
The thing is though, is that at this time of the year, many stores divert wages to checkouts in order to keep the queues moving (as has said my store manager). Departments such as grocery, perishables and produce tend to have less turnover (in my experience anyway). I know that checkouts suck, but maybe doing a few shifts there may look better to produce than you refusing them alltogether.
Alternatively, transferring staff to checkouts is an alternative to firing them. So read into this what you want. :uhhuh:

HSC
asmums said:
Ive finished my training now and i'm hired as permanent part time but after 3 weeks they only give me 4 hrs (one shift). 2 weeks ago they said they made the roster so i had to wait till monday, and now the new roster they give me just Saturday a 4hr shift.

so what im wondering is if im counted as casual since im on probation because shouldn't i get a min of 15 hrs as permanent part time?
Definately check this with your department manager. Even on probation you should be entitled to a minimum of 10 hours if you are PPT.

HSC
If you were hired for cashier, then you really should be accepting cashier shifts. I understand that you hate it, but its likely that you were only placed in produce to cover a gap til they hired someone. Other departments get annoyed when their staff get moved around too much, you know, this is probably more of front ends doing than produce.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
KaaN10 said:
Ok well I'm 15 and been working in produce for about 2 months and the past 3 weeks I have done a total of 0 hours. I am being offered register shifts but I don't want to do register at all and decline them. Grocery is packed and they wont let me do that. Should I be looking for a job at food places like McDonalds, KFC, Red Rooster, Hungry Jacks etc? That might be better for a 15 year old... What do you guys think?

PS: I know some of you are going to say talk to your produce manager but I'm pissed off at him. I lost my hours become some fag joined produce hes older and more experianced and he gets the shift I'm supposed to be getting.
Really if you're 15 and haven't been there long you haven't got much room to move re: what you get to do or not do at your job. If they want you for checkouts you should probably accept the shifts or start looking for another job imo. I used to dread checkout shifts when I had a retail job too but I always thought about it this way: would I rather work checkouts and get paid for it or stay home and get nothing (and probably no shifts for a fortnight in revenge for turning them down)?

If you hate it that much look into a non retail job. Fast food will still involve register work just not the whole scanning and bagging part.

hallelujah.

HSC
I resigned from Woolworths last week and they left messaage on my phone today saying i needed to ring them to do an exit interview. I really don't want to do this. Can I refuse? Has anyone ever done this before?

asdads333

babikakez said:
Definately check this with your department manager. Even on probation you should be entitled to a minimum of 10 hours if you are PPT.
Well what i meant was the first 2 weeks they said they did the roster and i needed to wait for them for that one to finish, then now that time is up they said they did the roster AGAIN so now they go theres no hours for me till Christmas.

So what i think they did was meant to put me in the shifts but they forgot again since ive only just finished training and therefore new to the roster, so now i wont have any hours for 4 weeks in a row.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
asmums said:
Well what i meant was the first 2 weeks they said they did the roster and i needed to wait for them for that one to finish, then now that time is up they said they did the roster AGAIN so now they go theres no hours for me till Christmas.

So what i think they did was meant to put me in the shifts but they forgot again since ive only just finished training and therefore new to the roster, so now i wont have any hours for 4 weeks in a row.
r u sure your PPT, did you sign a contract at all?

Peartie

HSC
hallelujah. said:
I resigned from Woolworths last week and they left messaage on my phone today saying i needed to ring them to do an exit interview. I really don't want to do this. Can I refuse? Has anyone ever done this before?
if ur PPT and dont do it then you won't get your Annual Leave payouts etc

you can also do it over the phone though.. they just tick a box on the thing saying iot was done over the phone

all they ask is

"why are you leaving Woolies"
"did you talk this over with anyone before you quit"
"would you [ the manager ] hire this person again if they were to apply for a job"

things like that...it isnt that bad - and if u really hate ur manager just do it over the phone...

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Fark...

Was working today. Was on my own for a while (30mins) serving customers.
Oven went off. Opened the door, went back to serve the customer, finished serving customer and then saw flames coming out of the oven. I'm like ... errr. WTF.
Called manager back to the dept (well 2ic) and then she called the store manager and SSM and got someone to get rid of the fire (I didn't want to do it). Then we had a store evacuation.

Went back in 15minutes later. had to do a massive clean up. and post-analysis showed that night staff didn't clean it properly, and there was a buildup of grease/oil which ignited.

So that was my excitement for the day.

AND OMG! customers are so dumb.
There's a fire. .. so they jsut stand at the counter and look at the oven on fire. And a guy wanted me to serve him. WTf?! There's a fire! get out of the freaking store.

HSC
shinji said:
There's a fire. .. so they jsut stand at the counter and look at the oven on fire. And a guy wanted me to serve him. WTf?! There's a fire! get out of the freaking store.
Yep, they just don't get it do they. My whole centre was evacuated in Jan, and we had customers whinging that they would lose their green bags if they were left at the checkouts mid-transaction. Seriously, just buy more green bags.

HSC
Ha shinji, people are so dumb. Ohhh noezzzz I'm not gunna get my foodz!!

One week till christmas, not cool. Found out today I'm doing supervision close on christmas eve ahh I'm gonna die.

Oh and I'm so angry about the whole being open on Boxing Day thing, is anyone gonna work?

mitch179

HSC
shinji said:
Fark...

Was working today. Was on my own for a while (30mins) serving customers.
Oven went off. Opened the door, went back to serve the customer, finished serving customer and then saw flames coming out of the oven. I'm like ... errr. WTF.
Called manager back to the dept (well 2ic) and then she called the store manager and SSM and got someone to get rid of the fire (I didn't want to do it). Then we had a store evacuation.

Went back in 15minutes later. had to do a massive clean up. and post-analysis showed that night staff didn't clean it properly, and there was a buildup of grease/oil which ignited.

So that was my excitement for the day.

I'm assuming your store is one with the bakery counter.

zs2912

HSC
Quick question,
I work in the Woolworths Deli up at Maitland, but have to move to Sydney next year for uni. Is there a way to transfer stores? Or is it easier to just resign and find another job?

Mark-AJ

Ncc Tardis
HSC
Wherebouts in Sydney will you be living?
Check to see if there is a Woolworths in the area, or a Woolworths Company, like Big W, DSE, Dan Murphy's (if you have your RSA that is)
Go talk to your manager... SSM or Store Manager, and explain the situation, they should be able to help you out

I've been wanting to transfer to a Dan Murphy's near my place, if your going between companies, you have to do another induction, but I'm hoping to stay within Woolies to retain benefits like Annual Leave, and God Forbid, if I'm still with them, LSL.... eeeep!

HSC
wiccanchilde said:
Ergh, young kids annoy the hell out of me.
Ours complain that they dont get enough hours, and then call in sick every weekend hungover. Wonder why you dont get offered more than 4 hours a week? There are perhaps 4 or 5 who don't, the rest are unreliable and suck.
Same at my store.

MjM2

HSC
Just a question. Is Christmas eve normal pay or public holiday pay?

asdads333

townie said:
r u sure your PPT, did you sign a contract at all?
Yeh i signed a contract that had information about my pay, where i was working and it also said i was PPT.

What i havn't signed since they havn't given it to me is the contract that shows my roster (which i believe only PPT/Full time have).

Also the induction trainer said they only pretty much hire PPT now and said all of us was PPT so im 100% im PPT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)