• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

Roga

HSC
Wow some of your stores are really small! We had our refurb last year and got pretty much everything done, self-serve, smokeshop, lights/fittings, paintjob, deli/seafood/bakery/produce, backend LED lights and aisles switching around. Though the negative of this was that considering I work in Longlife, I had to remember where everything had moved to!

I'll also do another aisle list since I have no life.

1 - Cereals, School snacks, Health foods, Canned fruit
2 - Confectionary, Bread, Water, Juices
3 - Biscuits, Tea/Coffee, Magazines, Party supplies
4 - Chips, Soft drinks, Leisure drinks, Stationary
5 - Noodles, Asian Food, Pastas, Canned vegetables, Soups, Plastic containers
6 - Sauces, Eggs, Sugar, Flour, Kitchen stuff, Oil, Salt
7 - Medicinal stuff, Personal care, shampoo, Bathroom stuff
8 - Nappies, Paper towels, BBQ stuff, Car stuff, Electrical stuff, Baby stuff
9 - Dog/Cat food, Laundry stuff, Gardening
10 - Half the aisle is Perishables, other side has Toilet paper, Chlorine, Gloves, Brooms

danberg

HSC
I may as well post our layout.

Enter and you hit Produce, Bakery, Deli, Flowers, general merchandise
Aisle 1 - Wine/Other drinks, water, energy drinks etc
Aisle 2 - Confectionary, Chocolate, soft drinks, chips, snack food
Aisle 3 - Biscuits, Spreads, Cereals
Aisle 4 - Cooking sauces, soups, spices, rice etc
Aisle 5 - Beauty/Cosmetics, Toilet paper
Aisle 6 - Cleaning products

Then we have Perishables, eggs & bread. Meat/seafood runs down the side of Aisles 1 - 3, Beer runs down Aisles 4 - 6. Checkouts run down Aisels 1 - 4.

No matter what department you work in I think it is important you know the layout of the store, or maybe that's just my way of thinking lol.
so how does it work having liquor (ie wine in aisle 1, beer aisle 4-6) in the actual store??? Do all checkout staff need RSA or something?

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
so how does it work having liquor (ie wine in aisle 1, beer aisle 4-6) in the actual store??? Do all checkout staff need RSA or something?
As of about a month ago, all liquor and cigarette sales now have to be approved by a supervisor. It's actually quite annoying in a smaller store as supervisors have no choice but to serve as well, so we could be waiting and waiting for a supervisor to enter their numbers.

@Roga - Yeah you could call my store 'small' lol....we average 240k NZD a week (which is around 194k AUD)

HSC
Um its not about having no life? After five years you do tend to know where stuff goes.
Exactly, and doing tickets for two years helps as well.

. Unfortunately however, I have a life, therefore won't be posting what each of them contains.
Would negrep this but must spread rep :haha:

@Roga - Yeah you could call my store 'small' lol....we average 240k NZD a week (which is around 194k AUD)
Lol we make more than that on Saturdays alone.

Last edited:

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Um its not about having no life? After five years you do tend to know where stuff goes.
Yes pet.

So I'm opening on Sunday morning for only the second time (and at a different store), what do? I know I have to do the weights book, sort out the grid, help put in tils and check the alarms and whatnot, but can others outline their morning procedures?

HSC
Yes pet.

So I'm opening on Sunday morning for only the second time (and at a different store), what do? I know I have to do the weights book, sort out the grid, help put in tils and check the alarms and whatnot, but can others outline their morning procedures?
Our opening procedure (I have an hour starting from 7/9am)

7-7.10: Weights book, collect reads
7.10-7.15: Trolleys in checkouts
7.15-7.25: collect and stamp papers
7.25-7.35: get tills from upstairs
7.35-7.45: tills in draws, order change
7.45-7.55: spot check any draws that cash office have asked for
7.55-7.59: tidy up everything, allocate registers
8.00- open

Adjust accordingly for a 10am open

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Mmm thanks babe...ikakez. roflmao.

I don't have to worry about trolleys in registers, stamping papers or spot checking so that should give me more time. I wonder if I'll have to put down the mats? They're always miraculously on the floor come open, but I dunno if the cleaners do it.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I have to get there at 6, which means waking up at 5 fuck me now.

Out of interest, because you have such wacked opening hours in WA, do have like three/four staff at open because sales are concentrated in lesser hours?

We have one at seven, one at eight, two at nine as well as another supervisor and then after that heaps.

ytrbut

HSC
Revisiting the aisle layout from the top of this page...for my store:

Aisle 1: Toilet paper, paper towel, laundry stuff, kitchen cleaning stuff
Aisle 2: Pet food, bbq goods, outdoor accessories, gardening
Aisle 3: Nappies, shampoo, cosmetics
Aisle 4: Tissues, toys, more cosmetics, other bathroom stuff
Aisle 5: Jars of pretty much everything! Sauces, antipasto, spices, etc.
Aisle 6: Soups, seasonings, more sauces (mainly the packet ones)
Aisle 7: Soft drinks and chips
Aisle 8: Biscuits and tea/coffee
Aisle 9: Stationery and confectionary
Aisle 10: Natural foods, breakfast cereal
Aisle 11: Canned fruit, fruit juice
Aisle 12: Bread at one end, spreads (eg. jams, peanut butter) and plasticwear at the other; open freezer bay on the other side
Aisle 13: The aforementioned open freezer bay on one side, a closed-door freezer on the other
Aisle 14: Perishables cabinet on one side, cheesebars on the other (ie. in the middle of 14 and 15)
Aisle 15: Cheesebars on one side, Perishables cabinet on the other

That's where the aisles end, then there's all the freshies on the other side of 15. Perishables runs along the back of the store as well. Store does just over 900k/week, as a point of reference.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Hope I didn't fuck my second interview up. I had it yesterday... Not sure what the outcome will be (bad im guessing, good im hoping!)

Wish me luck :p

Craven

HSC
We badly need new express. We only have three staggered lanes and every single afternoon/busy period the line goes all the way down to the entrance and I have heart palpitations.
We appear to be downgrading...
Going from 16 large registers to 12
4 staggered express (plus 2 s/shop) to 3 staggered (plus 2 s/shop)
but adding 5 or 6 self-serve.
I doubt 12 registers will cut it at Christmas! Guess I'll just be telling our operators to scan faster, lol. *prepares whip*

And apparently our upgrade was meant to be tonight, but it's happening next week now.

HSC
Out of interest, because you have such wacked opening hours in WA, do have like three/four staff at open because sales are concentrated in lesser hours?

We have one at seven, one at eight, two at nine as well as another supervisor and then after that heaps.
You'd think that. But it doesn't happen.

Last Friday I did the 7am open.

So, 7am - I started
7.30 - smokeshop operator
8am - was meant to get two operators, but one called in sick
9am - two more operators
9.30- two more.

So, by 10am, I'm meant to have one supervisor, one s/s operator, and six operators. Opens are fucked, we have way too many staff between say 1 and 3.30, but we are so short in the mornings because there are so many parents who want to do 10-2.
I'd say something to my CSM, but my opinion clearly counts for nothing.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Lol our opening goes something like this:

6.30 Supervisor arrives, allocates daily jobs to operators, fluffs around for a bit
6.45 Supervisor gets bags from C/Office to start opening tills
6.55 All tills should be open now, cigarette cases unlocked
7.00 Store Opens
7.30 Another Operator arrives
8.00 Another Operator

Something like that.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
You'd think that. But it doesn't happen.

Last Friday I did the 7am open.

So, 7am - I started
7.30 - smokeshop operator
8am - was meant to get two operators, but one called in sick
9am - two more operators
9.30- two more.

So, by 10am, I'm meant to have one supervisor, one s/s operator, and six operators. Opens are fucked, we have way too many staff between say 1 and 3.30, but we are so short in the mornings because there are so many parents who want to do 10-2.
I'd say something to my CSM, but my opinion clearly counts for nothing.
Hmm i feel blessed now. It would suck being the only person on from 7-7.30.
But I thought your store was much busier than ours, we do 750k-ish a week?

And our smokeshop system is weird. The same person does it (and not on weekends) and they don't act as a supervisor at all. She spends one hour serving (on express, not even on the smokeshop register) and then another hour in the gen. office or drinking coffee or whatever. and the alternates. Is this normal?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Our open

7:15 collect drawers, newspapers, bring upstairs
7:20 collect reads, lay down mats, food safety checks, put in drawers
7:30 get cigarettes from cage, and unpack them
7:50 put out new newspapers, close off registers/express, paper work
8:00 Open, 1st operator
9:00 2nd Operator
12:30 3rd operator

Craven

HSC
And our smokeshop system is weird. The same person does it (and not on weekends) and they don't act as a supervisor at all. She spends one hour serving (on express, not even on the smokeshop register) and then another hour in the gen. office or drinking coffee or whatever. and the alternates. Is this normal?
lol, our s/shop lady annoys the shit out of me. She's always off doing something else. She does the magazine returns so she sorts out all the magazines and fills them etc but she hardly serves in express.

Our open is like:
either 5 or 6 or 7 s/shop starts, depending on which day
7 supervisor comes in does all the open crap
7.30 get the tills, do change orders
8 - 2 operators (one express, one large)
8.30 another operator
9 - 2 operators + second s/v
9.30 - another operator
10 - another operator
etc.
or there abouts.

ekul444

HSC
N/A
I got the job!
congrats! :D

EFT chip card launch yesterday! seems to work quite well, nice new animation on self-serve and instructions on all pinpads. most customers didn't have any problems, apart from not knowing that they could do it now. shouldn't be too much of a problem once everyone knows, it will be fine. only problem is they have to remember that we take chip cards, just gotta wait for everyone else to catch up :p

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Thanks mate.

Just quickly:

1) Is this "EFT Chip" a new way the machines read the EFTPOS cards (via chip instead of magnet)? I'm guessing it is.
2) Can you use staff discount cards on self-serve? If you can, then you won't have those problems with giving family members your staff discount card?

Thanks

Last edited:

ekul444

HSC
N/A
Thanks mate.

Just quickly:

1) Is this "EFT Chip" a new way the machines read the EFTPOS cards (via chip instead of magnet)? I'm guessing it is.
2) Can you use staff discount cards on self-serve. If you can, then you won't have those problems with giving family members your staff discount card.

Thanks
1) YEah, people who have a little square mettalic thing on the front of their card (the 'chip') now have to insert their card into the bottom of the pin pad instead of swiping - technology been around quite awhile overseas, but Woolies is one of the first retailers to finally accept it in Aus.

2) yes you can use staff discount cards on self-serve... im not goin to comment on what you should and shoulnt do hahah :p

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
Is anyone else having glitches with this new release of WoWPos? One of our problems is,when signed Off,Having to constantly bang on the screen to get the Sign on Screen to come on! Agh!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)