The Woolworths Thread (8 Viewers)

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
20 hours for free I'm not sure that makes you serious about your job or just lonely!
Ahaha :p
Nah my manager is cool... I tend to stay back for a few hours when I have short shifts, coz I hate leaving when everyone else has heaps left to do lol.
Our department is severely understaffed at the moment and more or less if I don't stay back (when there's usually only 2 of us for the whole day anyway) then the one other person will be stuck there for hours upon hours. Sigh.

HSC
I allocate my registers by making them even, so all the operators are facing toward the service desk (me). So they can see how hot I am and also they can use eye and hand language to communicate things. It also just looks better when they are facing the one way.

I usually put people I like in express, good looking people and people who are fast/not annoying.
oh how i wish i could rep that post ;)

HSC
It was really weird. it was like, the size of a corner store and only had 2 checkouts and there was you and this younger guy there. and i bought something and you looked at me and realised i was from BOS. It was a "Mini-woolworths"
Thats so ironic, considering I work in the biggest store in the state :lol:

lacho95

HSC
Had the shittest night tonight.
Fucking customers had nothing to do because it was raining so they just came to woolworths... it was SO busy.
Finished at 5.30, about to put up a close sign when a lady with 2 full trolleys came to my checkout and i couldnt turn them away because my supervisor was near me.
Grr... can't wait till the 18th so i can finallyy get away from checkouts!!
Lacho.

DM Mike

HSC
Our SM made a change, that at all times, 1 be open. 1 is down the end, facing a wall, all you can hardly hear the bell or anyone yelling from up there, so it is very painful when you are on that register. :mad::mad:.
Maybe its region specific, but I thought national policy says that the checkouts have to be opened in specific order, IIRC its something like WheelChair accessable, then an Express Lane then the register that can see the Health and Beauty aisle...

Any BOS people take up the QANTAS club offer? and more to the point given the Share purchase plans over the last couple years and now this, does anyone think or know if their looking to implement a decent salary sacrifice plan? Seems their offering more things to salary sacrifice, would be nice if they let everyone SS a car/laptop and the like...

ytrbut

HSC
42 hours pw during exam periods. Gotta love Woolies for trying to hinder an employees' education.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
super idea for woolworths i just had, as well as having the RF running through the store, we should get WiFi as well.

Think about it, an RF gun costs something like $3000 ish, with WiFi you could probably bulk purchase little Netbook laptops for a third of that, and they could do so, so, so much more. Imagine instead say 4 laptops you could sign out from the office to be able to do work on.

Secondly, i fucking wish you could access the Gun's features on the computers, i can never get a gun, and sometimes i wish i could just take down a list of reference numbers and do a 5-5-1 on the computer instead of begging for a gun from somebody.

kahlanei

HSC
My application was completely different to the ones I've read in this thread.

I was called, had a phone interview, asked in for a 1-on-1 at 8am on Monday morning, started induction (with a total of 4 people: myself, two other checkout chicks, one nightfill) at 8:30am the same morning, finished at 5:30pm without a "phase 3" then started on the express lanes on Tuesday morning, was in big registers unassisted by Tuesday afternoon. Got 32.5 hours (inc. induction...) in my first week, and 35.5 in my second...

Or maybe my store was just really desperate?

Also have a question, in case anyone can answer for me...

Two days after I got the position at Woolworths, I got a job at Woolworths Petrol. I was assuming they would be classed as two seperate jobs for overtime, minumum hours, the little box that I tick for the tax threshold thing, etc. but someone said maybe not because they were the same company or something...?

EG: If I'm part-time at Woolworths at the moment, with a 15 hour roster - they can't give me 15 hours BETWEEN Woolies and Woolies Petrol, right? It means that I get 15 hours at WOOLWORTHS, and then whatever I agree with Woolies Petrol for that? :S

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Petrol is totally seperate from supermarkets, so it would be considered having 2 jobs. The easy part about it though is that payroll is done by the same person on site, so it would be easy to comply with the minimum standards e.g. no more than 38hrs per week, 10 hour breaks between shifts etc.

kahlanei

HSC
Petrol is totally seperate from supermarkets, so it would be considered having 2 jobs. The easy part about it though is that payroll is done by the same person on site, so it would be easy to comply with the minimum standards e.g. no more than 38hrs per week, 10 hour breaks between shifts etc.
I would rather have more hours than less... I'm not sure I understand the last sentence.

So, say I have 35 hours at the supermarket - can I then work whatever I want at the other job? Or only 3 hours? This is my first job(s) so I'm not sure how it even all works.... Sorry if I sound like a fool. :p

Black Heart

HSC
Thank you to everyone who replied (in some way) to my questions. :D
Really helped. :)

When I worked Saturday I was put on express (with my fav supervisor) and about 15 minutes till I finished I really started running out of notes. I had a bunch of 50's and 20's (I usally run out of 20's) and NO 10's or 5's.. I really hoped that people paid with card or pay with $10 notes or something.

Oh and just curious as to how to find out (very subtly) if a supervisor actually likes you or not. We have a lot of supervisors that act and look like they hate everyone. Would be wicked if supervisors could answer this :)

Oh and I have a story that isnt exactly that funny (it was at the time) but I'd never say it to any other supervisors but the one i like. Infact I just say "ok" and leave it at that.

Her: Hey, do you wanna do a pick up? (this isnt really a question but more like a do a pick up in a nice way - she was doing something at the register next to me)
Me: No, not really.
(walks behind me)
Her: *little gasp* I'll knee you :)
Me: Bring it.

Last edited:
HSC
Oh and just curious as to how to find out (very subtly) if a supervisor actually likes you or not. We have a lot of supervisors that act and look like they hate everyone. Would be wicked if supervisors could answer this :)

Oh and I have a story that isnt exactly that funny (it was at the time) but I'd never say it to any other supervisors but the one i like. Infact I just say "ok" and leave it at that.

Her: Hey, do you wanna do a pick up? (this isnt really a question but more like a do a pick up in a nice way - she was doing something at the register next to me)
Me: No, not really.
(walks behind me)
Her: *little gasp* I'll knee you :)
Me: Bring it.
Similar to me a few days ago:

Me - oi paige, come be my slave (handing her a closed sign).
Customer glares at me, then the operator
Operator - don't worry, she likes me really.

Quite embarrassing in hindsight. But really, this girl is the best operator in the store. If she had just a little bit more confidence she would be a supervisor for sure.

Craven

HSC
This sounds silly but I have a few operators that ask 1 billion questions when I ask them do to something. I mean, 500 customers will be bearing down on us at once and they will be bugging me with 20 questions about how I want something done... ok it's good that you're asking but really, I have 5 other operators to assist, angry customers at smokeshop, let's go let's go let's go!!! Some people have no sense of urgency or iniative these days. Or they will ask "there aren't any more cartons of long beach 30s in here, are there any more?" "whatever's in that cupboard is all we have" "..... *looks again for several seconds* .... so there's no more??" .... what, you think I have a stash hidden away?

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
I don't think I like my CSM anymore. She thinks she runs the store, and her 2IC isn't any better. I can just about live with the CSM but her 2IC is constantly coming up to me "You've got some fruit over there that's rotten" "Take those flowers off and put them out the back" "Clean the floor it looks horrible" I'M THE SAME FUCKING RANK AS YOU BITCH! I just want to tell her to fuck off but I'll probably get told off by the SM because everyone thinks she's perfect.

I also don't understand my CSM. She has chosen this really slow 17 year old kid as a Supervisor. His scanning rate sits between 11-12, he doesn't talk to the customers when serving and he's always frowning...So I have no idea how he's going to handle the stresses of Supervision. He'll probably give up after one or two shifts. (His money handling skills are terrible too...Guaranteed he drops a few notes and coins during his shift)

/end Rant.

On another note, I can go for my full driver's license in 23 days, which means I can then get my F Endorsement and finally drive the Fork Lift! My SM has already said it would be great for someone in Produce to be able to drive it, and seeing as how my dept manager has already turned it down, he says he's willing to put me on the course and get me all trained up.

I have actually driven it before, it was 6am in the morning and I had like 7 pallets of produce and they were all in the wrong order and it would have taken forever to move them by pallet jack, and I know where the store keys are, so I just jumped on and re organized my shit. Thank god there are no Cameras in the back yard because driving the FL unauthorized can be an instant dismissal.

Last edited:

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Ummm. If they chat to you about random stuff, like ask you questions about school/your life etc. Some people just click I suppose. For ages I used to think there were lots of supervisors that didn't like me, just because they always seemed serious, but after becoming a supervisor i realise its because there's too much to do on top of personally engaging with every operator. Probably also if they attempt little jokes with you, like above.
Flattery goes a long way also.

I'm always cracking jokes with my ops. E.g. "fill the smokes or I'll smash ya face off". And I've got into the habit of abbreviating everything. "Can you get some trol-trols before it gets bis-bis"

I don't think I like my CSM anymore. She thinks she runs the store, and her 2IC isn't any better. I can just about live with the CSM but her 2IC is constantly coming up to me "You've got some fruit over there that's rotten" "Take those flowers off and put them out the back" "Clean the floor it looks horrible" I'M THE SAME FUCKING RANK AS YOU BITCH! I just want to tell her to fuck off but I'll probably get told off by the SM because everyone thinks she's perfect.

I also don't understand my CSM. She has chosen this really slow 17 year old kid as a Supervisor. His scanning rate sits between 11-12, he doesn't talk to the customers when serving and he's always frowning...So I have no idea how he's going to handle the stresses of Supervision. He'll probably give up after one or two shifts. (His money handling skills are terrible too...Guaranteed he drops a few notes and coins during his shift)
Hey i drop coins too, but it's just cos I'm really uncoordinated. And my scan rate is always in the 11-13 range. Although I always smile broadly at my customers. But point being, those first two criteria shouldn't rule him out from supervision.

One girl has really recently been made a super, and she's very keen but lacks service initiative. E.g. Customer: Do you have any Pall Mall slims in the grey?. Her: No.
And the other day she was like "then I got asked to do the open, cos I can do that now I know how to supervise", and I was like arrhhhgg you've had you're numbers like four days, you don't know how to supervise after that long!!!!

langlece

HSC
Just if anyone was wondering, I just did the Qantas Club membership thing... it's still only $200.

If anyone's interested you call 13 11 31, enter your FF number then #, press 3 then 3. The Scheme number is 7280174

It's such a good deal!!! It would normally be like $775, but for us it's $200 and you can even salary sacrifice it :)
You do have to be a Woolworths employee though, if any randoms try this it won't work, as it's all approved by the company :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)