The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

HSC
Pilotdude said:
Also do you guys let parent use their kids d/c cards for smokes/alcohol as we dont, very strict on that policy!

PRE-SWIPE finally coming soon, watch this space, was suppose to come a few weeks ago but didnt due to issues again but apparntley its all ready to go now.
I only let my parents use my d/c when I'm with them, but not for alcohol as the only woolworths liquor in my area is attatched to my store, who all know that I'm underage. Besides, our liquor manager is a tad grumpy all the time. He also seems to work every single day. Weird.

There have been pre-swipe training videos in our training office since May. I had completely forgotten that it was coming, lol.

Priest

HSC
Re: Woolworths FAQ- how to get a job

Hey

10% of Staff Discount Weekend at Big W this week, I was thinking of buying an ipod touch. Can anyone tell me if the Staff discount will apply to ipods??

If not, i'll just lie my way through it and tell the home entertainment person that it does :p

Pilotdude

HSC
WA is getting Pre-Swipe on the 30th of November.

But it is only going to be active on Main Checkouts, not express, s/shop or Liquor which really defeats the purpose of saving time!

A typical woolworths thing to do! Should be in express as that is the only place where you will really save any time.

Also apparntley by 2010 the CEO wants almost every supermarket to have the 'Gourmet' look or the new woolies look.

Not a spec of green apart from unifoms, registers are grey/silver, walls are a really nice purple colour and signs done in a silver and a neat font like Deli, Bakery etc

And everything looks 10 times better and the stores will all have a wooden look floor.

Cant wait for that. Anyone else seen a store/video of a store in the new layout? Very nice and much better.

Might be transferring to Perth as an SSM and giving uni a miss at the moment will see how things pan out.

Rabbs81

HSC
can anyone tell me what the average salary of a longlife manager is? currently a grocery manager for a Supa IGA and ive heard woolies pay alot better and also have a good bonus scheme so considering switching sides

HSC
Pilotdude said:

But it is only going to be active on Main Checkouts, not express, s/shop or Liquor which really defeats the purpose of saving time!

A typical woolworths thing to do! Should be in express as that is the only place where you will really save any time.
Is it being implemented in all WA stores on 30th Nov, or just a few (ie how they did WOWPOS). Because the 30th Nov is on Friday, as in two days. And the only person who has said anything to me about preswipe is you. Although my store didn't get WOWPOS when it first went live (although we did have it soon afterwards), so maybe we won't have it on Friday.

I'm mostly on express and smokeshop as well, so I guess it won't have a huge impact on me anyway.

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
Re: Woolworths FAQ- how to get a job

What is the deal with Woolworths staff getting shares after 5 years? How much?

Steppenwolf

HSC
i work in the deli section, apart from the fact i always smell like prawns for ages after a shift. its not bad. good pay too

quiksilver102

HSC
Pilotdude said:
Also apparntley by 2010 the CEO wants almost every supermarket to have the 'Gourmet' look or the new woolies look.

Not a spec of green apart from unifoms, registers are grey/silver, walls are a really nice purple colour and signs done in a silver and a neat font like Deli, Bakery etc
That's interesting - our store in QLD recently got new s/steel aisle ends and produce displays with these black plastic boxes. Where did you hear about the 'gourmet look'?

HSC
Looks like we've got preswipe. Not that anyone (except Pilotdude) told us or anything. All of a sudden today we were getting screens saying EFT PRESWIPE INCOMPLETE. And we were like...what the hell. Even our supervisors and 2IC had no clue.

I had my "Back to Basics" training today. Has anyone else had this, and if so, was the eye contact exercise totally awkward. And I was partenered with someone I actually get along with quite well. But I must admit, I went back to my register and greeted every single customer, which is something I don't often do.

Oh well. Smokeshop and Tickets tomorrow. Today was my first whole day on checkouts since I started doing tickets 3 months ago. I never really appreciated how tickets broke up my day...but I certainly do now.

Pilotdude

HSC
Rabbs81 said:
can anyone tell me what the average salary of a longlife manager is? currently a grocery manager for a Supa IGA and ive heard woolies pay alot better and also have a good bonus scheme so considering switching sides
Grocery Manager is on about 60-70k depends on store size and experience as to how much you get but thats generally what most dept managers are on. But remember the grocery managers can take home 30k or more/less on top of that in bonuses!!!! Our grocery manager will earn 120K before tax this year with bonuses etc not bad for woolies lol

Really depends on store size and sales, but if you were to get a store that does a million a week you would be on an excellent pay rate.

quiksilver102 said:
That's interesting - our store in QLD recently got new s/steel aisle ends and produce displays with these black plastic boxes. Where did you hear about the 'gourmet look'?
National Conference DVD's was doing training and recruitment last week and got bored so watched them all and a DVD about how all stores are wanted to have this look etc. The back produce displays are now standard for all stores as it gives a 'Farmer to you' look.

To add to that in the Xmas woolies ad's the Deli has a red background and the store has like a wooden look floor and wooden surrounds like how you have over confec and natura with the lights, look closely at the xmas ad's and thats the new gourmet look, god i sound like a nerd LOL

Babikakez

Yeah, i honestly dont think any store knew about it, i only knew about it because i read the upgrade bullitens that got sent though and i know systems so multibuys are automatically printed so got shown how that works but our service manager etc didnt know which is stupid. I saw the DVD in may when it first got sent out because we got told we had to watch it but pre-swipe never came lol

We have it on main registers and smoke shop so its all good but the customers dont press "sale amount" or "other amount" although some do and some can even give themselves cash out lol.

Hate how when u hit enter to go into tenders it throws a spasm then has a blank button at the top looks weird. :)

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
ugh, first shift alone in cash office today, i hate payroll

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
haha. how fun. =p.

almost finished my 36 hour week. ergh..
Part-time as well so that makes it even worse kidna... mm.

@stephen: i work in deli as well. Woolies seven hills. so tiring. haha. running all over the dept to serve customers. and the pay isn't that great. haha. i only get 11.4409 i think and im 18.

mmm.

good think about working in deli thuogh, i don't have to go up to the checkouts if they call for express alert. and im not checkout trained. haha. and omg . I hate my new manager. so sexist. ==;;
question, if i am contracted to work 18 hours (paid for 16), if i work more than 18 hours (22hrs i think) but not on the day i was contracted to work on, would i still get paid for the contracted day i missed?
and is there any penalty rates for xmas eve? haha

P

pLuvia

shinji said:
haha. how fun. =p.

almost finished my 36 hour week. ergh..
Part-time as well so that makes it even worse kidna... mm.

@stephen: i work in deli as well. Woolies seven hills. so tiring. haha. running all over the dept to serve customers. and the pay isn't that great. haha. i only get 11.4409 i think and im 18.

mmm.

good think about working in deli thuogh, i don't have to go up to the checkouts if they call for express alert. and im not checkout trained. haha. and omg . I hate my new manager. so sexist. ==;;
question, if i am contracted to work 18 hours (paid for 16), if i work more than 18 hours (22hrs i think) but not on the day i was contracted to work on, would i still get paid for the contracted day i missed?
and is there any penalty rates for xmas eve? haha
lol you're getting jibbed for that pay! wait you are part time? as in sick leave you get paid part time or casual part time? If you're the former then that pay sounds about right I work at big w and get 12.82 something and I'm 18 but I'm still on probation for another 3 months!

damn woolworths rejected me before lol so I went to another branch :)

Pilotdude

HSC
Lol im 18 and get paid 16.99 an hour, i was on salary but quote our area manager "They cant afford me anymore, as i dont really do much"
except for work my ass off, and get shoved from pillar to post. Yuck learnt how to do back dock the other day, how horrible is it. Especially when you have shit missing......... Was service manager but they bought someone up to replace me cause i was going to uni but now im transferring to Perth on the SMT program but have to manage perishables down there which is a bit gay.

But the thing that bumps our casuals up is our location allowance cause we are in the middle of friggin no where!!!

If they ever suggest you do backdock RUN....RUN away as fast as you can, horrible horrible job. Now i know why every dept/store manager smokes if they had to do backdock LOL

The uniforms are shocking when you sweat too, very embarassing lol. 45 degrees outside and about 50 in the part of the backdock that aint air conditioned the sweat pours off you fucking gross.

Last edited:
HSC
I can work preswipe now - i feel very clever indeed. But only have it on our main registers (not express or smokeshop) so I don't have to use it very often.

But my gripe for today is the affects of the redevelopments in our centre. I now have FULL AVAILABILITY and am getting rostered 5 hours a week. When I had the shittest availability I was getting at least 10 hours. Our sales are shit, and now my csm is sending staff home half an hour into their 7 hour shift because he can't afford to pay them.

I should have taken the opportunity to go PPT when it was offered to me.

pete_mate

HSC
i was at a woolies yesterday and they were trying to close the store.

therefore, large queues were developing. However, checkout operators were leaving to go and play with their balls, making checkout lines even larger.

like wtf, the stores about to close, i'm sure they can just work until the lines are small.

what was up with that?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
yes, they could of, but then they would have been yelled at by management for staying longer than their roster thereby having to be paid more and eating into profits, managers go apeshit if they have to pay you extra

jodi..1

is awesome
HSC
Probably because for the last hour they have been saying messages over the system that the store was closing, yet people still enter and buy a whole load of products. Fair enough that customers can still enter till closing time, but it is incredibly frustrating when you have worked a 9 hour day, its 5 to midnight, and a whole heap of people come in to buy crap that they for some reason can't wait till morning to buy, the night manager gets the shits at supervisors coz the store isn't closed on the dot of close time, theres a whole heap jobs still to do, when all you wanna do is go home and sleep to come in the next morning and start again.

Pilotdude

HSC
Ekim said:
Full bonus for salary is 20% of your wage...

I have to wonder sometimes, how much money are they spending on that expanded WowTV that goes for 18 hours a day? How much are they spending on that stupid bloody glossy woolies mag that comes out every so often? Kill it and put the money back into the stores!

I dont think backdock is too bad, at least you dont have to deal with customers, on the whole the drivers are pretty good and Ive found if you sweep the backdock before the managers rock up, or even better when they rock up, they tend to leave you alone...
Our drivers are great, have a chat to you etc your right about customers but its just so stressfull, i can handle stress but when the backdock is a mess, nowhere for the load to go, missing 2 pallets of stock sending all the perishable load back to Perth cause its over temp thats when you stress!!!!!! Our backdock is a mess, its really really bad actually so many cages, cleaned it up lately though but should be better.

hahaha yeah, they put it into some stores just not alot. Big W's new uniform looks pretty good though, wheres our nice flash silver name badges!!! instead we get shitty 2 dollar shop style.

The new brown tickets are certainly interesting, just finished changing out whole shop over to them in the weekend, was starting to look like a multicolour rainbow so changed them but it doesnt suit the green stores only the gourmet look stores.....why give them to the green stores i dont know.

What about the new ticket font, multibuy font and adhoc font its a bit weird and BIG lol anyone else hate it??

townie said:
yes, they could of, but then they would have been yelled at by management for staying longer than their roster thereby having to be paid more and eating into profits, managers go apeshit if they have to pay you extra
Yeah some managers are really anal over wages especially at this time of year, if they do well over xmas its a nice big bonus!! our store manager is getting a 50k bonus for this year ontop of the 100k salary, car, phone, house, electiricty, airfares not a bad package for woolies if you ask me!

babikakez said:
I can work preswipe now - i feel very clever indeed. But only have it on our main registers (not express or smokeshop) so I don't have to use it very often.

But my gripe for today is the affects of the redevelopments in our centre. I now have FULL AVAILABILITY and am getting rostered 5 hours a week. When I had the shittest availability I was getting at least 10 hours. Our sales are shit, and now my csm is sending staff home half an hour into their 7 hour shift because he can't afford to pay them.

I should have taken the opportunity to go PPT when it was offered to me.
Our preswipe is in smokeshop, how strange.........

If you have a store near you, you should find out if both stores can offer you hours untill sales are ontrack?? or even do 2 divisons like petrol and supermarket or big w and supermarket etc?

Wish our sales sucked!!! we done one of our biggest weeks this year last week and its only going to get worst :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited:
HSC
Pilotdude said:
Our preswipe is in smokeshop, how strange.........

If you have a store near you, you should find out if both stores can offer you hours untill sales are ontrack?? or even do 2 divisons like petrol and supermarket or big w and supermarket etc?

Wish our sales sucked!!! we done one of our biggest weeks this year last week and its only going to get worst :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
There are two more supermarkets within ten minutes of my house, and a petrol within 15 minutes. I know the csm at one of those stores, and a few of us are indeed thinking of asking to cover shifts at that store. We're just not sure how that would be received lol.

We've been unusually quiet for the last month or so, thus why hours have been cut. So yesterday, there were three checkouts open when I started (I was called in to close smokeshop), another operator was about to come back from lunch and myself and another supervisor were about to open. But within ten minutes I swear our checkouts were about eight trolleys back. This is when I start to have problems with our hours being cut - if we're not needed then thats one thing, but its not fair when the six registers that were eventually opened were eight trolleys back with customers. It is two weeks before christmas, we have hired NO new staff, and our casuals are getting between 3-8 hours a week, while full time staff are being asked to take holidays. Customers already don't want to come into our store because parking is horrendous and if they have to wait 10 minutes or more at the checkout then its no wonder that our sales have been badly affected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)