The Woolworths Thread (3 Viewers)

BSammy

HSC
Yeah, wasn't sure how that would work, but the pay girl said she has no access to paymas after today, so i guess nothing can be changed after today without making it effective on next weeks wages. Makes sense now.

explore

HSC
N/A
Hi all

Just had a question about re-applying for a position at Woolworths. Almost a year ago to the day I resigned from Woolworths after about 7.5 years service, and I'm pretty sure it was on good terms. They supported me through high school, uni and whatever else and I supported them by taking up a number of temporary 2ic positions in whatever department needed them (although I'm a nightfiller through and through :p).

Regardless, I'd secured a job elsewhere and was ready to move on.

Fast forward 12 months and the new job didn't work out for various reasons and I've actually come to miss Woolies during the past year. My other job was a desk job and to be honest I much prefer a job like Woolies where I am active and moving around all day.

Anyway, was wanting to find employment pretty soon and wondering if there was any way to bypass the whole new employee merry-go-round? I know first hand that getting into the place can take months and months and it's really time that I don't have.

I'm thinking of ringing either some sort of HR rep or the SM, but I'm not sure the SM will be any good because the personnel seems to change every few months and the store I used to work at just had another new one start today who wouldn't know me from a bar of soap.

I guess I'm just looking for a bit of advice from you friendly and obviously knowledgeable lot. If ringing a HR/SM person will make no difference then please let me know so I can focus my energies elsewhere.

Thanks a lot!

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Look we have a girl in a similar position at my store. She resigned a few months ago but ended up coming back and got in quite easily (CSM organised it with HR and that was it).
However, 12 months exceeds the 'simple' return because you'll have to be re-inducted and such before returning to work.

My advice is to phone managers that YOU know in various stores to see if they can arrange something for you. If that fails for whatever reason, you can try to call HR but they'll probably just give you the "apply online" response. Definitely try before giving up though, you never know.
Hope this helps.

NNS7

HSC
N/A
Yes, i have also seen this done before but not for someone that has been gone for longer than six months. The dept manager/ASM/SM orgainised it with HR. I would say that given the length of time you have been away from the business you would have to be re-inducted. I would advise you to conact any managers you know, as iMathew said, that would likely be the only way. I wouldn't bother with HR (unless you actually personally know any of them).
Given that you believe you left the company under good circumstances you probably would have a good chance of being re-employed, just depends on when they are hiring in your area.

explore

HSC
N/A
Thanks for your replies and advice guys. I'm guessing by re-induction you mean the whole process of applying online and doing the numerous interviews and induction sessions.

I was told by a friend of mine who happens to be the night manager there that the store will be recruiting in July.

I'll probably ring him and see if he can pull some strings for me. Pretty much everyone else there who was a manager has since moved on.

the way to go

HSC
This Agreement shall take effect and have the force of law from seven days
after it is approved by Fair Work Australia and will remain in force until 30
June 2012
(1.3.1 - WOOLWORTHS NATIONAL SUPERMARKET AGREEMENT 2009)

with 5 days left, should we have seen or heard something by now?

BSammy

HSC
It's always late. Always.

We have a rough payrise of 1.5% (about 30c an hour for adults) starting soon until we know the actual amount.

If it turns out to be more than that there will be a little bit of back pay once the agreement is finalised I assume.

bensneddon

HSC
(1.3.1 - WOOLWORTHS NATIONAL SUPERMARKET AGREEMENT 2009)

with 5 days left, should we have seen or heard something by now?
No, it's pretty standard practice in industrial law for EBA's to continue on after their intended period of effect. Supermarket EBA employees will receive a 1.5% interim pay rise while the new EBA is negotiated, and in the event that pay rises are in excess of 1.5%, all employees covered under the EBA will be back-payed.

bensneddon

HSC
It's always late. Always.

We have a rough payrise of 1.5% (about 30c an hour for adults) starting soon until we know the actual amount.

If it turns out to be more than that there will be a little bit of back pay once the agreement is finalised I assume.
Bam... beat me to it ;)

BSammy

HSC
Ha sorry, not by much.

Still waiting for my group certificate.
No rush tho, etax isn't downloadable til the 1st.

last year i had mine lodged on the 30th of june.

nanakid12

HSC
I have a question about taking time off. I'm contracted to Fridays and Saturdays next week, so technically I am required to work. However, my family wants to head off for the weekend to śēē our cousins. I asked my CSM to have it off, she's like "ergghhhh, maybe, no promises."

I bet though, if it was anyone else, she'd be like "oh yeah, sure thing". I never take leave anywhere near the amount of times that anyone else does. My roster gets messed around with a lot (especially lately), and I've not worked some shifts that I've been contracted. I've had shifts cancelled and then I'm called an hour before they start to śēē if I can work again. I don't think I've ever taken a day off since the start of the year, (since my last holidays). And before that, I used to work even on my last ever day of school (which turned out to be one of the shittest nights ever). I was the only person in Year 12 that didn't take holidays for schoolies at my store. I've put up with a lot of what they don't have to.
This quickly turned into a rant. I am so annoyed right now, can't wait until EOFY is over :(

Anyway, I forgot to actually ask a question. Is it much of a drama to get this one day off, as it seems to be made out to be? I also remember them forcing me to find a replacing back when I was a casual operator for a shift, which I ended up working because I didn't know my rights. Fairly sure I'm the only one who has ever had to do that. Thanks everyone :)

Last edited:

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Replace it yourself, tell your CSM you replaced it with whoever, the end.
As a PPT, that's pretty much the expected/norm.

Your only other option is to call in sick but you'd need a medical certificate for that.

Mathy

HSC
Your only other option is to call in sick but you'd need a medical certificate for that.
From EBA:
"Not withstanding the Fair Work Act 2009, employees will be
entitled to 2 single shift absences per year without having to
produce proof of illness, except if the absence is before or after a
public holiday. On all other occasions of absence the employee
will prove to the satisfaction of the Company, and provide such
documentation as required by the Company, that he/she was
unable to attend for work on the day or days for which the
personal leave is claimed."

nanakid12

HSC
Eh, no one will do it if its me asking.

I'll probably just end up working...

And I'm not going to call in sick. I'd rather be honest about it.

I just read over what I've written up there, and realize how much of a whiny staff member I sound like.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)