The Woolworths Thread (3 Viewers)

Mark-AJ

Ncc Tardis
HSC
townie said:
Only ever 2 people on at once at most, 4 regular people work liquor (manager, 2IC, me and some other dude) plus a dozen or so other people are RSA trained backups (but rarely work in liquor). we do about ~$50k per week sales (not much really)

i'm not officially 3IC, but i'm the most senior non-manager, and aside from the 2IC have worked in the department for longer than any1 else (almost 4 years now)
Heh, your place actually has a 2IC though, we've got a Manager... sort of, and then just me and another bloke, an I've only been there 2 months...

We're a tiny department, no idea about sales, but I found over two shifts, around $6600 worth of expired stock... gotta love rotation!

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
a Genuine Office Cashier should have Supervisor Numbers, and official woolworths policy is to give office cashiers supervisor numbers, this is for two reasons.

1) Office Cashiers need to be able to perform spot-checks to double check register results
2) The morning routine may require office cashiers to do Last-Settlement/Pre-Settlement of registers if EFT hasn't balanced overnight

(both these functions require supervisor numbers - or as WoW policy officials lists it i believe "Note: Office Cashiers must have Privellege Level 3 attatched to their Operator Number")

HOWEVER, if you do get supervisor numbers i would STRONGLY ADVISE that you ask your CSM to train you in:refunds, product recalls, dissections dumps etc. or not to use your supervisor numbers for these functions without first checking whether your CSM wants you to be able to do this.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Mark-AJ said:
Heh, your place actually has a 2IC though, we've got a Manager... sort of, and then just me and another bloke, an I've only been there 2 months...

We're a tiny department, no idea about sales, but I found over two shifts, around $6600 worth of expired stock... gotta love rotation!
wow, that is tiny, what store are you?

edit: let me try guess, your small, your locations lists inner-west......hmmmm, West-Penant Hills? i know your not West Ryde, Eastwood or Macquarie, Marsfield doesnt have liquor

Newington? Northbridge (if so, i hear the manager there is awesome)? Burwood? Leichardt?

Last edited:

Mark-AJ

Ncc Tardis
HSC
In between Northbridge and Leichardt...
The more... populated one, but not the recently revamped one.

As you can tell, I like speaking in riddles at 1.30 in the morning =P

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
more populated suggests the Westfield, althought i would have thought that one is more likely to have been revamped.

P.S. I'm Boronia Park (1360) if you were interested.

AHA! whats your store number? 1614 or 1332? or alternatively, does your store also house the area managers office

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
well there you go, now i know, now i can stalk you.......or not. huzzah for the Sydney LDC supplying Tooheys from today.

Mark-AJ

Ncc Tardis
HSC
Ahhh so all our deliveries will be from one source from now on?
Bout time! Should make things easier from now, right?

Doesn't matter to me, I'm the weekend guy basically, so I only usually end up doing the Friday deliveries....

mlee72

HSC
townie said:
a Genuine Office Cashier should have Supervisor Numbers, and official woolworths policy is to give office cashiers supervisor numbers, this is for two reasons.

1) Office Cashiers need to be able to perform spot-checks to double check register results
2) The morning routine may require office cashiers to do Last-Settlement/Pre-Settlement of registers if EFT hasn't balanced overnight

(both these functions require supervisor numbers - or as WoW policy officials lists it i believe "Note: Office Cashiers must have Privellege Level 3 attatched to their Operator Number")

HOWEVER, if you do get supervisor numbers i would STRONGLY ADVISE that you ask your CSM to train you in:refunds, product recalls, dissections dumps etc. or not to use your supervisor numbers for these functions without first checking whether your CSM wants you to be able to do this.

Thats what thought because all our office cashiers have numbers and (as there were rumors i was getting office cashier) the supervisors were showing how do to refunds and stuff whenever i needed one.

mlee72

HSC
babikakez said:
I don't think you do.
It depends.
When you say office cashier, are you up in the office for the whole day, or are you just there after close?
Because I (occassionally) do cashup/other close stuff, along with another girl, but we're only up there for 1.5 hours-2 hours max.
However, we also have people who are there for the whole shift.
One of our office cashiers has supervisor numbers, but she was a supervisor before being the office cashier. The girl before her didn't.
I wouldn't be expecting them, but they would be nice to have nonetheless.
I do cash office two nights a week (3 hour shift) and will be doing more over the christmas holidays

greekgun

HSC
^^^
Man, safeway hire there casuals really young. Everytime i go grocery shopping, i notice that the safeway workers are like little kids.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
First, TRY and get used to calling it Woolworths from now on, the Safeway name is being phased out (this will prove useful if your store gets a refit soon - not so useful if it isnt i suppose).

What do I do if I get accepted for "long life"? Presentation, capping and running stock (i.e. basically moving stock - a lot)
How long does the induction go for? When i did it it was 8hrs induction, 2 hrs fresh obsessions training, 3 hrs register training (NOTE: this was 4 years ago now)
Should I wear my school wear for it(if I get accepted) Smart-casual may be better, depending on how "neat" your school uniform is
How much will I get paid(15 years old, casual/part time) If it's the same rate as NSW ~$12 per hour as a casual
What do I need to do eg tax file number, make a bank card.. You WILL need a bank account and account details, and a TFN would be desirable/
Safeway supply the work wear right? Or do I need to purchase it off them? not sure, when they introduced the new uniform casuals got 1 free, and permenant part timers got 2. the shirts arent that expensive though ($15 when they first came out - not sure what they are now tho), you will need black pants and leather shoes.
Anything else I need to know? Start off doing as many shifts as possible, it will make it easier to get your way later on down the track - trust me
What's this new Safeway Card all about? Not sure what you mean - unless your referring to either the Woolworths Everyday Rewards Card [this stores fuel discount offers] or the Woolworths Everyday Money Credit Card [new credit card that earns rewards for shopping at woolies]
What's a TFN? a Tax File Number, you should get 1 regardless of whether you get this job or not, details at ato.gov.au

HSC
KaaN10 said:
What do I do if I get accepted for "long life"?
Longlife staff essentially stack shelves, receive deliveries, do price checks, facing, etc.
KaaN10 said:
How long does the induction go for?
Mine went from 8-3, plus lunch
KaaN10 said:
Should I wear my school wear for it(if I get accepted)
For the induction, I would wear smart casual, whatever you wore to your interview should be fine. You could wear school uniform if it was after school though.
KaaN10 said:
What do I need to do eg tax file number, make a bank card..
You'll need a tax file number (TFN) - make sure you get this ASAP, a bank account (at the induction they will ask you for your bank details. Make sure that you take these). I think thats about it. Maybe take lunch if your induction centre isn't near any food places.
KaaN10 said:
Safeway supply the work wear right? Or do I need to purchase it off them?
You'll generally get one shirt for free. If you want others, then you'll need to buy them - $15 and this is tax deductable. Pants, shoes you need to supply yourself.

HSC
Sorry for posting almost an identical message as Townie did, I didn't read any further down before I posted a reply.

KaaN10 said:
2.) So what I need to do is go down to Commenwealth Bank, make a card get the account details take it to induction and also bring a Tax ID? Where do I get those, Centrelink?
3.) What's the rewards for the new money credit card
You don't neccessarily need an ATM card, but you do need a bank account. TFN's you should be able to get through your school - ask your careers advisor (at least thats what I did)

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/c...c=001/002/001/008/002&mnu=51&mfp=001&st=&cy=1

edit: to get TFN info

If your reno's just started, or they havent changed the signage, chances are you'll change to wolworths, espescialy if it's a big store/major refit.

if your will commonwealth, get a recent statement, you will need to supply one for payroll anyway, you will need your BSB and account number.

you will be trained about the credit card, i wouldnt worry too much, or visit www.everydaymoney.com.au

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
afaik it looks like you cant apply online for a TFN (sorry my mistake website looked like you could but it's only for certain people), you will have to go physically get a form (or as somebody else said, apply through school)

regardless of age you will need a TFN if you dont want to pay shitloads of tax (almost half)

it doesnt matter what bank your with, but you will need a statement from them for your account number etc (this is NOT the number on your card)

Amakii

HSC
Quick random question about cards (couldn't find it anywhere if it's already been answered lol)

Can we link staff discount cards onto the orange everyday reward card?

I remember seeing a pamphlet about it, but I lost it and now I'm curious.

Thanks to anyone who knows!

yobob

HSC
How long does it normally take for a phone call after going to the 1v1 interview?

Been almost a week, and no call or email yet.

Last edited:

Mark-AJ

Ncc Tardis
HSC
Can't remember... mine was nearly 4 years ago!

Doesn't take long though, less than a week though....
You'll hear from them soon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)