The Woolworths Thread (6 Viewers)

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
HAHAHAH at the self serve lanyard. Oh my god that looks awful :p
Regarding the "earn and learn stickers are to be treated like cash".. Awkward. I don't think anybody in my store counted them last year. They usually gave the customer a massive bunch for every transaction if they wanted the stickers.

nalim

HSC
Has anyone received the Share Purchase Plan letter? It is worth signing up for it? Are Woolworths shares good? I'm not really into shares plus I'm part time.

nanakid12

HSC
Has anyone received the Share Purchase Plan letter? It is worth signing up for it? Are Woolworths shares good? I'm not really into shares plus I'm part time.
Yea I received that, not gunna bother with it though... haha :)

Anyone experiencing the cost-cutting yet? CSM told me he has to cut 8 hours a day!!! I'm taking holidays cos I have 8 weeks of annual leave (I taking four weeks off though, the week after next) and apparently it's the worst it's ever been this year...

Can't wait for earn and learn tomorrow, woo. More questions to ask people.

sb26

HSC
Going to talk to my CSM about supervisor training today!

Our night staff is changing, a lot of people are transferring, dropping hours and going on leave and it's putting a lot of pressure on one of our regular night svrs to do around 4-5 nights a week. No usual problem, except the trouble is that she'll be the only one with super numbers/training/experience so technically she should be the only one managing the counting of ~20 draws and dealing with price check fixes, refunds, SIM cards, etc (not to mention when she goes on an hour break). We usually have 2-3 ops trained as svrs that can handle this but last night it was just me.

I manned smokeshop for the night (19-24) and had to put through several refunds, 2xSIM cards, fix up prices that were scanning policies, and she let me use her numbers for this. But, given how the CSM has talked to me before about not using other numbers for a whole heap of reasons, I figured this can't just keep happening and it's probably better that I get proper training on how to do stuff (aside from the brief runthrough on refunds I had) and accountability too with my own numbers. I reckon I obviously won't get shifts /as/ the svr anytime soon but I think it'll help a lot if there's someone else to help with their tasks (which usually they regard as menial anyway *shrug*).

Crossing fingers... I'm 18 but only been with woolies for 6 months and it's my first job; I know I'm mature enough for this though, let's hope she can put faith in me :)

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Generally when it comes to doing the 'big boy' jobs, there are staff that can do it, and staff that can't do it. From my experience, there is no middle region. Staff are either shit or hard working, one of the two.
You sound switched on and you should go for it, regardless of the fact you've only been with the company for six months.

When I was six months in, my supervisors would breath a sigh of relief when I was working because they knew I actually worked well. I was 15 at the time too.
It's annoying how older people can be more useless than you and still get paid more, but that's how it is.

So anyway, speak to your CSM.

the way to go

HSC
^agreed.

very first day of e&l, a woman who's know for going through our bins to get fuel vouchers comes up to me with the e&l bits of the recipes ripped off and asks for 72 stickers expecting me to believe that she spent $720 dollars in one day, while I hesitantly gave them to her cause nothing in the training said we shouldn't, surely that's not fair play?

sb26

HSC
very first day of e&l, a woman who's know for going through our bins to get fuel vouchers comes up to me with the e&l bits of the recipes ripped off and asks for 72 stickers expecting me to believe that she spent $720 dollars in one day, while I hesitantly gave them to her cause nothing in the training said we shouldn't, surely that's not fair play?
Sounds dodgy but I feel better knowing the money goes to schools & equipment and stuff (and not savings on fuel or frequent flyer points or something) and that would be wasted if the receipts just stayed in the bin; although to prevent duplicate stickers we've been signing with pen on the receipt and with people like this I might even just confiscate them afterwards like vouchers

Chatted to the CSM. Her general impression was that I only wanted super numbers to do refunds, and said that the auditors are in town and they're going to question why our dept of 40 has 14 users with super numbers, and that time is tricky and we don't work similar hours anymore so she can't really train me - I felt she kind of missed the point oops :p But after I pushed the full supervisor training thing a bit more with the night supervisor and how that was what I was really interested in, she said that basically the CSM thinks I'm lacking in confidence and I'd need to work on it if I wanted to progress.

Which is a fair point, sometimes I do seem a little nervous during the day... but nights are different :p I know the jobs, the order of everything, who needs what breaks, what the svr is doing and when things have to be done by, how to escalate issues I can't deal with properly, know of the closing store routine and bagging SCO, I /feel/ confident enough to handle it all if I was thrown into it... Just by watching what the svr is doing; but now's the time where we need more people I don't know why she's delaying.

nanakid12

HSC
Question: does it take ages for transferring between stores? I'm thinking of moving to the city...

Regarding Earn and Learn, last year I used to just give probably 100+ stickers to some people, simply because there were so many people who didn't claim them... Our store is probably one of the ones they were talking about "giving customers more stickers than they should have".

This year though, we're really cracking down. People are complaining about getting only one sticker, when that is all they are entitled to. Like, the fuck?

Regarding supervision: I was totally lacking in confidence when I started. My 2ic liked me, and they were looking for extra supervisors, so she just asked me. I don't think my CSM at the time liked the idea cause I didn't get a regular supervision shift until like three months later... plus I was 16 at the time :/
I did a few shifts with one of the other supervisors as an operator, and a couple of fuck=ups but got it all done. I used to be really pedantic and stressy about doing every job we had to do, but pretty 'lax about it now, and we usually get everything done. Aaaaaaaaand... I just realized most of that is completely irrelevant ha.

I reckon just being a bit more vocal and lively (something I never was until I've gotten more confident lately) and speak your mind a bit more, should help show your confidence.

How old are you?
We have this one guy at our store who gives me the shits: he has supervisor codes, therefore he thinks he's in charge of the world, hence the reason none of the other employees are a big fan of him. However, he continually answers bells and assists customers with things like scanning policies for the wrong product, or screwing up a Tender Swap and somehow leaving a register short $100, selling SIM cards without checking ID, doing fresh or free on a long life product. That sort of thing. He thinks he knows what he is doing, but he has absolutely no idea.

Also, that's another thing, have a high level of respect for your boss. This guy doesn't, hence why he hasn't been given an actual supervision shift.

Anyway, good luck with it, report back to us over the next couple of weeks :)

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
doing fresh or free on a long life product.
Actually, fresh or free does apply to all longlife products, just not those general merch/non edible products :p

What is the Fresh or Free Guarantee?
Our Fresh or Free Guarantee applies only to food items which are consumed by humans, including vitamins.

With a clear proof of purchase Woolworths will cheerfully refund the purchase price and replace a product that is not fresh or of the quality that you expect from Woolworths. For all products without proof of purchase, at the Store Manager’s discretion we will provide a Woolworths Limited Returns Card to the value of the purchase price.
http://woolworths.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/Website/Woolworths/About+Us/Our-Services/Returns+Policy/

Last edited:

BSammy

HSC
yeah imathew's right about the fresh or free, i check the policy in storenet the other day, even vitamins! (posted this then saw you put the quote in your post, whatever,)

BSammy

HSC
apparently some people in out store have been terrible, wouldn't be surprised if there's a supervisor shake up soon.

quick90

HSC
Question: does it take ages for transferring between stores? I'm thinking of moving to the city...
Yes! I've tried twice now, and still nothing. Both times my store manager has given me great references.

I guess it all comes down to timing.

BSammy

HSC
it helps a lot if you know a manager at the other store and know they want you.

my first transfer was easy because my manager was transferred and wanted to keep me.

my second transfer when i moved states was more annoying because i didn't have a guaranteed spot, but a few phone calls to remind the regional HR helped.

sb26

HSC
Fun times lately. Learnt spot checking and bagging SCO, although I can't do them very quickly just yet. I asked one of my supers if there's any kind of manual about training and she said there's nothing... which is sort of true, but browsing through StoreNet at 11pm when there's no customers around I found there's policy documents on practically everything! Going to read ohsomuch stuffs today.

BSammy

HSC
yeah, there's so much info on store-net, it's a bitch to search through tho

nanakid12

HSC
I've made up a "bible" when I first started to supervising to help me understand what I had to do. So basically I just printed off a bunch of crap from Storenet and put it in a folder, it actual helped out another couple of supervisors, as well as my CSM when he first started doing it.

I also make up all forms of some sort, to make it look more "legit" when we're taking down customer's details.

For example:
mobilephone.png

We use this form to take down the customer's details, then we take it and put it into the computer when we're a bit quieter, and destroy the original. It's a lot quicker than having to load up the Everyday Portal and take their info.

I've also made up one for Everyday Rewards, so the customer can fill it out themselves. Again, it's much quicker than having to take the customer's details and put them in the computer. Might make one for the Britex/Rug Doctor hire sometime in the future.

Last edited:

nanakid12

HSC
How DO you search on Storenet? I've got no idea!
Go into Stornet from a workstation, click "Supermarkets" then click "Policies and Procedures" then it'll say "Click here to search" in big text I think. Then the next page there will be a search box in the corner of the page.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)