nanakid12

HSC
we have

cash office
systems office
managers office
general office

and a training room near the tearoom.
Same as us, but training room is also the ASM office.

Our offices are on the same floor as the store. The only upstairs is for the Comms room, the plant room and that sorta stuff.

RE: the subsidy, i had the same problem. I ordered one shirt and emailed them afterwards and they corrected it for me. Told me I hadn't selected my store role when I registered, but I'm pretty sure I did....
oh well.

Any idea when they new shirts get delivered? Frontend 2ic got her scarf a few weeks ago... nothing else though.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
in the ordering form you're meant to order 2 shirts (if you want to) and click 'use subsidy', so you can get 1 shirt for free, or 2 for 1

IAmFemmeFatale

HSC
Hi I'm starting my induction (well I think its my induction.. I did the training at home on the website so I assume this will be learning how to operate the cash register) today and I tried to order the green shirts online but they are either sold out or don't have my size :eek2: I'm nervous because I don't know what to do, they said I could wear a white shirt today but like what am I going to do, it takes 2 weeks to get here. Do they have any shirts at the store that I can borrow or something? :(

Also, is being a cashier easy? I'm not excellent at maths and I get anxious :(

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
Hi I'm starting my induction (well I think its my induction.. I did the training at home on the website so I assume this will be learning how to operate the cash register) today and I tried to order the green shirts online but they are either sold out or don't have my size :eek2: I'm nervous because I don't know what to do, they said I could wear a white shirt today but like what am I going to do, it takes 2 weeks to get here. Do they have any shirts at the store that I can borrow or something? :(

Also, is being a cashier easy? I'm not excellent at maths and I get anxious :(
hmm, shirts should have been ordered before you started, in that little HR email package you got (had info about uniforms and all that). but are you sure they have none online? I'm on it right now

service cashier is a bit tricky at first, but you get the hang of it and thats when it becomes fun

thankfully, you dont need much maths, as the system calculates the change for you, but you have to be quick at counting money for the change
(be prepared to do manual calculations though, because sometimes you end up pressing the wrong amount)

first day you will be most likely be behind someone observing them, then trying it out for youself, and you'll alternate with the more experienced person

Last edited:

IAmFemmeFatale

HSC
hmm, shirts should have been ordered before you started, in that little HR email package you got (had info about uniforms and all that). but are you sure they have none online? I'm on it right now

service cashier is a bit tricky at first, but you get the hang of it and thats when it becomes fun

thankfully, you dont need much maths, as the system calculates the change for you, but you have to be quick at counting money for the change
(be prepared to do manual calculations though, because sometimes you end up pressing the wrong amount)

first day you will be most likely be behind someone observing them, then trying it out for youself, and you'll alternate with the more experienced person

you can pm me or ask me ANY questions about it

Thank you for the quick reply! :)

Well I'm on that total image site and when I go to press on a shirt, it says its sold out :/ like it has no sizes to pick so I assume its sold out. The ones that are available are not available in my size, only like size 20 and up :(

Yeah thats what I'm worried about, I'm really bad with counting money but hopefully I'll get the hang of it.. :(

That sounds scary, I'm really nervous :( what if I squish someones bread or they yell at me?

IAmFemmeFatale

HSC
Righto.. xD

Yeah it went ok. I'm pretty bad but hopefully I'll become better. I'm 19 and a casual and only have one shift tonight for the rest of the week then one again next week? Is it normal to get hardly any shifts when you first start? :(

BSammy

HSC
yes, because they've already done the rosters for the first couple of weeks

best way to fix this is to let the customer service manager know how available you are, and when they ring you for shifts, say yes if you can.

only way to get better is to work more, you get used to it. (then you get sick of it :p )

nanakid12

HSC
Hows everyones Xmas trading going? We've definitely noticed an increase in customers and sales... and then we have to cut wages again :( but pretty keen to work midnight and Sunday trading for two weeks! (our store don't Sunday trade)

Katebrunner

HSC
What's everyone's funniest stories of things that have happened in your stores? I've got one about the area managers car being hit by the forklift, and one about a smelly couch in the managers office!!

nanakid12

HSC
Funniest thing that happened to me a few years ago. Power surged during a storm so obviously that affected the alarms and CMS are alerted for whatever reason.

Got a phone call as we were finishing work, I answered it and could barely hear an Indian guy talking, I had no idea what he was saying. I thought it was a telemarketer, just said "Sorry not interested thanks" and hung up on him.

Phone rang again a few minutes later and the duty manager answered it. Turns out I'd hung up on CMS! Haha.

I was the laughing stock for days...

BSammy

HSC
I guess with Christmas coming up (and wage budgets going down) we're all too busy to post here.

T_Knight

HSC
Hi guys. I'm new here.
Operator/smokeshop attendant checking in. Seems like a friendly place that's still active (unlike the rest of the forum which seems pretty dead, all probably left to facebook)

Would anyone know the pay rates regarding Xmas & Boxing Day public holidays coming up? The roster says i'm working both days, 4-hour shifts in the afternoon. Would i get paid double time-and-a-half for both days or just one?? Is the store even trading Xmas day? Currently on leave so can't actually ask anyone at work lol.

Last edited:

oldmanjoe

HSC
N/A
Hi guys. I'm new here.
Operator/smokeshop attendant checking in. Seems like a friendly place that's still active (unlike the rest of the forum which seems pretty dead, all probably left to facebook)

Would anyone know the pay rates regarding Xmas & Boxing Day public holidays coming up? The roster says i'm working both days, 4-hour shifts in the afternoon. Would i get paid double time-and-a-half for both days or just one?? Is the store even trading Xmas day? Currently on leave so can't actually ask anyone at work lol.
Hi, I'm guessing that you're either on a full-time or part-time contract.

All stores in Australia are closed on Christmas Day (I'm pretty sure). Therefore, you will only receive your ordinary rate for this day.

However, for Boxing Day - if you work your shift on the day, you will receive double time-and-a-half. If you are on leave, you will only receive the ordinary rate.

I hope this clears it up for you :)

Xantios

HSC
N/A
Yes. :) For any public holiday the store isn't open you'll just get paid your normal wages. On public holidays that are trading you can be asked to work and that is up to you. Day off or work for 250%. :) If you're on annual leave for a period of time that includes a public holiday then my understanding is that you should simply be paid normal wages for the public holiday. It should certainly not come out of your annual leave.

T_Knight

HSC
I hope this clears it up for you :)
Yes. For any public holiday the store isn't open you'll just get paid your normal wages.
Cool, thanks for that. Our store is only trading New Years Day as its closed 25th & 26th, so get paid 8hrs @ ordinary rate.

Got called up for cover, always seems to be wednesdays when incidents occur. Some bogans today were caught shoving 4 meat trays down their pants. LOLs when cops came and detained them, excuse was they "totally forgot it was there" :lol:. Have no idea if the stock went back on the shelves... ugghh (fyi, was rump steak and loin chops)

nanakid12

HSC
Have no idea if the stock went back on the shelves...
Lol, I highly doubt it.

Does anyone know when we will be getting paid for next week, considering Christmas is on the Wednesday? Does that affect it, or will it just be processed like usual?

sb26

HSC
Had a guy come to the service desk with a receipt from BWS, he wanted to collect aussie animal cards. I told him you can't get cards for purchases of alcohol.

He stormed off saying he's going to Coles. I don't think he realised that it's against the law to have promotions like that for alcohol... the other big surprise for him is that Coles don't do animal cards. Baha.

LDW

HSC
N/A
A nation-wide block has been put on recruitment by National HR.
Or maybe there's not really any jobs at the moment because hiring would have been done by November to ensure new staff were trained up in time for Christmas. I don't know about you but I would rather die than do interviews and training in December.

Lol, I highly doubt it.

Does anyone know when we will be getting paid for next week, considering Christmas is on the Wednesday? Does that affect it, or will it just be processed like usual?
It should appear in your account a day earlier (i.e Monday evening/Tuesday morning depending on your bank). The following week will be as normal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)