The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

BSammy

HSC
will the following week be normal? there's a wednesday public holiday then as well.

nanakid12

HSC
Do you guys think 2 weeks notice is enough for one day off?

I'm contracted Tuesday nights once a fortnight for tickets, 7pm-midnight. This lies on New Year's Eve... so basically I'll be watching the clock tick over to 2014 at work. I put in a leave form last Tuesday so that's exactly two weeks notice and the SSO is apparently bitching about it to everyone, apparently "there's no way he's getting outta that, he's working it, bla bla bla"

I haven't spoken to her since I've put it in. Waiting to hear about it tomorrow.

I would have put the leave form in earlier if I had known we had been working til midnight... they never have before apparently.

Argh that place does my head in sometimes.

BSammy

HSC
Work after 6.00pm on the Thursday Eve before Good Friday, Christmas Eve and New Year‟s
Eve, will be subject to the following provision:
7.14.1 Within the reasonable requirements of staffing levels for a store, requests by full-time
or part-time employees to not be rostered to work during the above times and days
shall not be unreasonably refused. Provided that where the Company is unable to
obtain sufficient volunteers to work, the Company will, subject to the Act, retain the
right to direct the working of the employee‟s normal roster.
7.14.2 Employees need to advise the Company at least 4 weeks prior to the Thursday Eve
before Good Friday, Christmas Eve and New Year‟s Eve that they do not wish to work
at that time or day.

So you should have been a bit earlier, but they should be less of a dick about it.

nanakid12

HSC
Yeah, I can understand that I suppose. But our store's staff have never had to stay to work until midnight before on Xmas Eve or New Year's Eve, but this year they are for some reason. I only found that out on Tuesday so I got the holiday form in as soon as I found out.

And there's plenty of people willing to take my shift!! That's the thing that confuses me. Why would they say no?

I'm actually wanting to get of doing tickets because it does strain my back a bit bending over all the time. Just not quite sure how to break it to the SSO, as I get the feeling she'll be pissed.

LDW

HSC
N/A
will the following week be normal? there's a wednesday public holiday then as well.
Aye. Payrun occurred today for week ending 22nd. Payrun for week end 29th will be run on Monday 30th.

caleb136

HSC
Hey, hope everyone is having a wonderful christmas week, well at least trying to

So there is talk about training me up as an office cashier on weekends, and I'm just wondering exactly what I would be doing for the day, all I know is that there is payroll, some ticketing and obviously the cash side of it, is there much else to learn?? and what would a typical day look like (I would be starting at 7, store opens at 8). Any info you could give me would be great :)

T_Knight

HSC
***Just a reminder everyone to take advantage of staff discount offers before they end***

# 10% off @ Woolies and BWS storewide - ends this sunday 22/12

# 10% off @ Big W storewide (20% off clothing, underwear, accessories, books if card registered as EDR) - ends this sunday 22/12

# 4c Extra Discount off Fuel @ Woolworths Petrol (excludes the more common caltex-woolworths branded petrol stations) - ends NYE 31/12

^Perks are quite generous this year. ;)

Katebrunner

HSC
Our store manager is the biggest doosh, he was driving to work and he saw a couch that had been left on the side of the road for trash pick up, so when he got to the store he made 2 of the longlife guys go down the road and bring it back, because he wanted a couch in his office! He already had a little meeting table with a couple of chairs, so he took those to the back dock and told the storeman to chuck them out, then while he was waiting for the guys to get back he was going around the store telling everyone about how he is going to have a couch in his office and how great it will be haha. Anyway the guys get back with the couch and obviously he hadn't stopped to look at it properly because it had rips in it and loads of stains, and it absolutely stunk!! Haha we were all cracking up. So he runs out the back to stop the storeman from chucking out the table and chairs but they are already in the skip! And cause there wasn't much room in the skip the storeman had broken off all the legs to get them to fit. Hahahaha it was the funniest day ever.

nanakid12

HSC
Hey, hope everyone is having a wonderful christmas week, well at least trying to

So there is talk about training me up as an office cashier on weekends, and I'm just wondering exactly what I would be doing for the day, all I know is that there is payroll, some ticketing and obviously the cash side of it, is there much else to learn?? and what would a typical day look like (I would be starting at 7, store opens at 8). Any info you could give me would be great :)
Today was great! Hoping tomorrow is the same.

Judging our office cashier routine:

1. Get cash organised for frontend out the safe, check seals and stuff.
2. Do stuff on the computer.
3. Phone calls. Ring people.
4. Print stuff out.
5. Turn the chute on.
6. Break.
7. Do pickups.
8. Put change in registers.
9. Break.
10. Put up tickets.
11. More pickups.
12. Break.
13. Tickets.
14. Final pickups.
15. Leave.

Obviously, I am not sure. Haha.

Our store manager is the biggest doosh, he was driving to work and he saw a couch that had been left on the side of the road for trash pick up, so when he got to the store he made 2 of the longlife guys go down the road and bring it back, because he wanted a couch in his office! He already had a little meeting table with a couple of chairs, so he took those to the back dock and told the storeman to chuck them out, then while he was waiting for the guys to get back he was going around the store telling everyone about how he is going to have a couch in his office and how great it will be haha. Anyway the guys get back with the couch and obviously he hadn't stopped to look at it properly because it had rips in it and loads of stains, and it absolutely stunk!! Haha we were all cracking up. So he runs out the back to stop the storeman from chucking out the table and chairs but they are already in the skip! And cause there wasn't much room in the skip the storeman had broken off all the legs to get them to fit. Hahahaha it was the funniest day ever.
What a crack up haha. Suppose he had it coming.

Also, has everyone got those new name badges? I reckon they're good but they may be better suited to the new shirts whenever we get them. Mine has my full name (urgh) and says I've been a "Fresh Food Person since 2008". So at least people will hopefully think that I do know what I'm doing since I've worked there so long.

Last edited:

djhol4

HSC
N/A
So the night supervisor I have been doing Friday night closing shifts with since i first started (also back up duty manager) taught me how to do spot checks the other night and told me he is going to talk to the CSM and get me svr numbers, so I can take the pressure off him. Especially since every other night supervisor has someone else with numbers to help them.... Pretty chuffed

Also, how come some stores have their own private rules almost?

ie. some stores let under 18s supervise and other dont
some stores require an RSA to spotcheck liqour and others dont

etc etc...

nanakid12

HSC
Also, how come some stores have their own private rules almost?

ie. some stores let under 18s supervise and other dont
some stores require an RSA to spotcheck liqour and others dont
That's the store/department manager's beliefs. All political stuff.
Some managers still abide by old company policies, or they don't realize they've changed. Some of the rules are just their preferences. It really is up to them to run them how they want to though... unless the area manager overrides them.

For example, I did my first supervision shift when I was 16 (lol, nearly wrote 6). We got a new manager just after I turned 18, and he wouldn't allow one of the other operators to be promoted to supervisor until he was 18.

Another rule was that our store used to FORBID serving any products on the smoke counter that weren't from the frontend. Customers hated us for this, and there were many complaints because they wanted to buy their cigarettes in the same transaction. Since we changed department managers, they've become pretty relaxed with that...

Last edited:

Xantios

HSC
N/A
I get to work until 1AM on Christmas Eve. I'm totally thrilled about this. Urgh. Hopefully at least the rest of my staff, other than the 2ic, can get out a bit earlier.

Xantios

HSC
N/A
I get to work until 1AM on Christmas Eve. I'm totally thrilled about this. Urgh. Hopefully at least the rest of my staff, other than the 2ic, can get out a bit earlier.
It was even worse than I had feared! Hah. Most people were able to leave at 11PM. The 2IC and I were waiting for the produce load. It turns out at the store the truck driver visited before ours they had no functioning electrical pallet jack. Hence the produce load didn't arrive until much later than we had hoped for.

So I eventually got home at was up again at 6am for Christmas - overly eager nieces are to blame for that! :lol: I hope the rest of you had a fantastic day. :)

T_Knight

HSC
Wooooo! Finally been able to put the feet up after 2 full-on weeks. Hope you're all enjoying the hollys!!!!

Anyone here pulling a New Year's Day shift?? Got rostered on to open the store, but since i'm watching the midnight fireworks, then hitting a few bars with friends ... somehow gotta fit in sleep, shower, change into uniform between 5-7am lol. Hopefully i pull up somewhat sober if all goes according to plan lol :drink:

No chance i'll be missing a 6-hour shift at 250%.

T_Knight

HSC
Just wondering what NA PD ORD is on the payslips?
Note that I don't work in cash office, but it probably means that your signing on and off too early or too late compared to your SET rostered hours (which means pay clerk have to 'manually adjust' the times to fit the hours you were actually rostered on). Recall our CSM recently having a word with the newer checkout staff about it.

Example: if you're rostered 10:00am to 3:00pm (5hrs) but you sign on 10:08am and off 3:08pm, you've worked the same duration of 5 hours as rostered... BUT that 8 minutes after 3pm was NOT budgeted for (i.e they only planned to pay for you between 10-3 even regardless of whether you were late or not). Thus, those 8 extra minutes you were signed on is automatically classified as 'overtime' by the sign-on scanner in the system (which is incorrect as your supervisor didn't ask you to stay back and work an extra 8 minutes). So, that means payroll have to do a manual adjustment to your account to make sure the stores wages paid-out to your bank account are in line with what they budgeted/planned for (so they DONT overpay you compared to what they rostered you for).

This may explain why N/PD ORD rate shows as a rate of pay $0.00, its just adjusting those surplus minutes before and after your shift was supposed to begin/end. :detective:

Sometimes, it could also represent the 1hr 'unpaid' lunch break you get working 7+ hours (say you were called up to do a one-off shift and thus it represents 7hrs paid + 1hr not-paid for lunch equalling the total 8 hr shift).

Hope that clears things up. :smile:

Katebrunner

HSC
Ooooo snap! 2 staff members caught hooking up in the first aid room today!!! Scandal much lol

coffeeandsocks

HSC
Hi! I just got a job as a casual at woolworths and was wondering how much the pay is per hour? I'm a 20 year old student. Thanks :)!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)