The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

nanakid12

HSC
Don't feel bad. Are you casual? If you are, they can't force you to work, and so long as you give them as much notice as possible then there shouldn't be an issue.

Seriously, that is part of the produce manager's job, to replace shifts etc. they will be fine. Just let them know ASAP :)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I wouldn't worry about it, do you have any intention on going back to work there?
Never again. Shitty manager. I felt like i was bullied by another manager. Shitty hours. Shitty work environment. Never gave me an employee discount card after I slaved away for several months. Felt like i was forced to work when i didn't want to.

I work 200m from there now. Lol

T_Knight

HSC
Im too scared to walk into my old store to buy stuff, coz i think they hate me
Haha, i dont even shop at my work woolies and that's my local. Every time you walk in as a regular joe customer, it still feels like working even when you're not. Then once someone a team member or customer spots you, gotta do the whole stop-for-5mins-and-chat, which drags out your in-and-out- grab-a-few-items shop into a 30 minute guided tour, as you keep on stopping every few steps after you're recognized by another person lol.

Sucks to hear how you got treated. Longlife department is by def the worst in terms of bullying, stress, unstable roster and having power-tripping department managers who are flippin clueless. Glad to hear you got out and moved on ;)

xazx

HSC
hey guys, who here works the fill report from gap scans?, I had to do one the other day and it seemed really inefficient and just a complete waste of time. The report was about 6 pages worth of items all unorganized. Does anyone have any tips or a specific method which would make the process faster or are there any options through ISIS to at least organize the items?
Seems to me that including night fill, LTO cage workers, Perishables worker and just general cage workers whatever products are empty on the shelves would eventually get filled up, or if we dont have any SOH then more would be ordered anyways, so whats the point of working a fill report?

thanks for any replies

bernie14

HSC
Haha, i dont even shop at my work woolies and that's my local. Every time you walk in as a regular joe customer, it still feels like working even when you're not. Then once someone a team member or customer spots you, gotta do the whole stop-for-5mins-and-chat, which drags out your in-and-out- grab-a-few-items shop into a 30 minute guided tour, as you keep on stopping every few steps after you're recognized by another person lol.
Worst is when the service manager spots you and goes "Oh just the person I wanted to see! Can you work tomorrow??"

NinjaDrummer

HSC
hey guys, who here works the fill report from gap scans?, I had to do one the other day and it seemed really inefficient and just a complete waste of time. The report was about 6 pages worth of items all unorganized. Does anyone have any tips or a specific method which would make the process faster or are there any options through ISIS to at least organize the items?
Seems to me that including night fill, LTO cage workers, Perishables worker and just general cage workers whatever products are empty on the shelves would eventually get filled up, or if we dont have any SOH then more would be ordered anyways, so whats the point of working a fill report?

thanks for any replies
Ex Longlife/Inventory manager here.

Search and fill all the stuff with * and # next to them first. * is on special, # is a multibuy. These items are usually off located on ends or displays, make sure they are full on the shelf. They usually sell more from the shelf than the end, regardless the shelf needs to be full of that item anyway.

Before you start, cross off any items with SOH lower than OM count. If you're looking for less than a box of something, it's usually scattered/needs to be adjusted/missing/waste of time. You can deal with that shit by drilling down aisles after working all stock/backstock/capping if applicable.

Look for items with big SOH counts first.

Also, basic items take priority. I wouldn't be wasting my time looking for a box of razor cartridges when Smiths chips and Coke are on the list. Drinks, biscuits, chips, bulk items (toilet paper, paper towel). Get me? Hope that helped.

Fruitym8

HSC
Cheers for the response, asked the 2ic on Saturday whether she thought the team manager would be okay with it and she said probs not cos it was too short notice, but im still gonna ask for the Friday off.

oh yeah, ive been working either 5 hour/9 hour shifts (Working by myself for the last 4 hours of my shift) for the past month which means bringing in all of the load, splitting the load into cages, filling the fruit and veg as much as possible, packing up produce and prep clean, this is meant to be done before 10pm (Load usually comes in 7-8). Been finishing at around 10:30/45 each shift cos its a lot of stuff, but today i finished everything at 9:55!! woop

Brad727

HSC
Hey guys, been at Woolworth's for around 4 months and have been really enjoying it thus far (most of the time).
The people I work with are nice, my managers ect, pay's decent, especially on my 9 hour shift on Sunday. :p Most weeks I have done around 35 hours, but recently I have only been doing around 22 or so. (Winter slow season?) Not that i mind that much, could it be because of performance?

Anyway things that piss me off during shifts (usually on express checkout):
-During peak periods in the day, (I work at a massive Woolies) customers with around 30+ items are moved from f/s checkout to express by CSM/assCSM/supervisors- no problem, but xpress checkouts have a really small bagging area which fills up quickly and when all of the six checkouts are open (nowhere to put bags) and it annoys me when if there's 2 people, one just stands there and doesn't put the bags back into the trolley.
-Busy times on xpress when a customer spends like $10-25 and spends around 5 minutes trying to find their everyday rewards card and you know it will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, and meanwhile with a queue of 7-12 customers which makes you look bad. I usually don't bother asking in small transactions during these periods, I am not their mothers. lol

And with the scan rate, I swear I do over 16p/minute but I checked, it was 14.5, I go onto the payment page once I am ready to pack items but it doesn't seem to help much? I've noticed on the checkout system it no-longer shows the messages about items per bag does it count the scan rate during this time?
And secondly, does your scan rate matter much?

nanakid12

HSC
Hey Brad.

I had that the other day I forgot to ask some lady for her reward card and she pulled it out after I had accepted it. Her total was $14

Me: "Oh sorry it's already gone through."
Her: "oh."
Me: "my bad, I should have asked you sorry"
Her: "yeah you should have"
Me: "did you have any reward specials?"
(I asked anyway but I knew she didn't because it was all produce items)
Her: "well I don't know, I probably did but too late now"
Me: "oh. Well... sorry"
Her: "Yeah. Me too."

Was like, what? It's not that big of a deal is it?

I was also told that your scan rate starts being counted as soon as you sign on. One way to stop it counting when you are standing idle is to press Secure, but when it comes up SECURE REGISTER? YES? NO? Just to stay on that screen and press "NO" when you're ready. Obviously, only do this when you are standing near the register.

Also, when you are scanning, say you are facing the belt with your left hand and the bag area with your right, use only your left hand to grab the products and then pass it to your right hand to bag. Might take a bit of getting used to at first, but it's the quickest way and the best for your back and shoulders.

I average around 20/items a minute ;) and that includes being on a full service lane. One time, I don't know how, but I got 31 items a minute :S but I was on express and smoke shop that night haha.

EDIT: I type in surrounding store numbers on the STAR report on store net and I'm usually one of the highest out of the region :) my CSM told me that our store has one of the higher scan rates in the area group which is awesome!

Last edited:

xazx

HSC
Ex Longlife/Inventory manager here.

Search and fill all the stuff with * and # next to them first. * is on special, # is a multibuy. These items are usually off located on ends or displays, make sure they are full on the shelf. They usually sell more from the shelf than the end, regardless the shelf needs to be full of that item anyway.

Before you start, cross off any items with SOH lower than OM count. If you're looking for less than a box of something, it's usually scattered/needs to be adjusted/missing/waste of time. You can deal with that shit by drilling down aisles after working all stock/backstock/capping if applicable.

Look for items with big SOH counts first.

Also, basic items take priority. I wouldn't be wasting my time looking for a box of razor cartridges when Smiths chips and Coke are on the list. Drinks, biscuits, chips, bulk items (toilet paper, paper towel). Get me? Hope that helped.
hey thanks man, that definitely helps a lot.

Brad727

HSC
Yeah somthing along those lines happened to me with the everyday rewards card, I just vowed that it wouldn't of done anything and you only get QF FF points if you spend >30$.

Holy sh*t you're faster than anyone in my store, are you a supervisor btw?
Since It takes me like an hour to get to work I've spoken to the CsM at my local store to say I could work if they really needed me and to put me on the roster. Probably will not permantatly transfer though.

Last edited:

bernie14

HSC
My scan rate was 19 last time I checked. It suffers when working in express because I always forget to hit 'enter' when I go to get smokes, especially when there's none in the cabinet and I have to go searching for some in the cupboard.

Customers who just stand there without putting their bags into the trolley are the worst. If I'm feeling particularly annoyed, I'll just stand there and look at them and then look at the lack of space once I've made eye contact. Customers who stand there while you are scanning and then take forever to dig through their wallet once you are ready for them to pay are also annoying. Get your payment options ready while I am scanning, not when I'm finished!

Oh, and lol at people scanning their rewards card when they buy a bottle of milk or something.

T_Knight

HSC
EDIT: I type in surrounding store numbers on the STAR report on store net and I'm usually one of the highest out of the region :) my CSM told me that our store has one of the higher scan rates in the area group which is awesome!
Really, you can search STAR reports of OTHER stores on store net?? Why didn't I think of that lol.

Keeping on topic, scanning rate really means nothing other than impressing your CSM and 2IC (the store's overall scan rate gets tied to their performance review, so they'll like you a whole lot more if you can scan faster than old beryl and maureen who plod along at 8 items a minute). I personally average around 24, but that's because being mainly on smokeshop, you don't have to deal with produce items which really slows things down, tapping through the drill-down menus, and then waiting for it to register weight.

If that's not enough to slow your scan rate, then the fumbling mother who can't find her credit card, the hipster kid who decides to transfer money on his iphone app after waiting for 5 mins in line or the granny who wants to tell you her life story after you've given her the receipt certainly will - so don't sweat it. For reference, it goes: ~15/min is good, ~18 is really good, ~20 is excellent, ~25+ godlike)

And with the rewards card 'too late' thing, if they ask me to scan their card after the transaction has been paid for, Iusually pull out the 'you don't get any points on it because its under $30' line (I only ask if they're shop is gonna total $30+)

nanakid12

HSC
I can't be bothered arguing with them ha. Some lady was arguing with me about not earning points on her smokes, I gave up because "clearly" she was right (I don't argue with stupid people).

Yeah I am a supervisor. And one hour?!?! Holy crap!!! Is that by car?

Bernie what state are you in that lets you serve your cigarettes at Express? I miss those days [emoji20] caused a lot less arguments and frustration.

And yes that is extremely frustrating, the bags! I don't say anything, I just pile them on top of their other groceries, carefully of course. It also frustrates me people who stand in the queue for ages and don't unpack their basket. Or people who stand way back at the end of the register and don't put their stuff up until the person before them has payed for their groceries (it makes the queue look longer than it should).

And yeah! It's on Storenet, you just input the store number :)
How do you guys handle people that bring their card back in with their receipt for us to load the points on, like for when they didn't scan their card? I just tell them they have to call the number on the back of their card, even though I don't think they can do anything...
I have done a DISC DUMP -> front of store -> (same amount they paid) -> *scanned card* -> CASH, then refunded the sale back to add it on, but I have only done that one time when the lady was literally off her chops about it...

Last edited:

bernie14

HSC
I can't be bothered arguing with them ha. Some lady was arguing with me about not earning points on her smokes, I gave up because "clearly" she was right (I don't argue with stupid people).

Yeah I am a supervisor. And one hour?!?! Holy crap!!! Is that by car?

Bernie what state are you in that lets you serve your cigarettes at Express? I miss those days [emoji20] caused a lot less arguments and frustration.

And yes that is extremely frustrating, the bags! I don't say anything, I just pile them on top of their other groceries, carefully of course. It also frustrates me people who stand in the queue for ages and don't unpack their basket. Or people who stand way back at the end of the register and don't put their stuff up until the person before them has payed for their groceries (it makes the queue look longer than it should).

And yeah! It's on Storenet, you just input the store number :)
How do you guys handle people that bring their card back in with their receipt for us to load the points on, like for when they didn't scan their card? I just tell them they have to call the number on the back of their card, even though I don't think they can do anything...
I have done a DISC DUMP -> front of store -> (same amount they paid) -> *scanned card* -> CASH, then refunded the sale back to add it on, but I have only done that one time when the lady was literally off her chops about it...
Victoria.

And I think when a customer makes a complaint about not scanning rewards card, we refund the whole transaction, re-scan it, and just scan the card that way. I think..

Earn and Learn stickers started yesterday. YAYYYY!!! :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)