• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

langlece

HSC
Ok so special supervisor question.

I had a customer tonight (at like 11:30 when I'm trying to get all the overnight draws counted... grrr) who was trying to pay for like $10 of groceries with an Essentials card. I checked the value and it had $20.26 or so left on it, but when I tried to process the payment, it kept rejecting it, saying bank can't be contacted or so. After about the 3rd time it prompted me for a manual eftpos thing, but it didn't seem to work at all. The duty manager didn't know how to process it either, so I had to turn the customer away. What would other supervisors have done?
I was going to try and refund it and put it on a wish gift card, but I couldn't because it was an essentials card. :S

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
there is a way to do manual Gift/essentials card, but I dont know anybody who actually knows how to do it properley. the procedure is on storenet, but i find all the manual EFT procedures on there highly confusing.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
We have our smokes attached the service desk as well, but we have only one old woman who is rostered on for smokeshop, doing the same hours most weekdays, but she just acts like a permanent fixture on express and pretty much anyone serves off the service desk (smokeshop) register. For some reason she has a fifteen minute break every single hour.

Our refurb is starting in a couple of months but i think we will still be able to serve smokes of all registers.

Tahnford

HSC
Ok so special supervisor question.

I had a customer tonight (at like 11:30 when I'm trying to get all the overnight draws counted... grrr) who was trying to pay for like $10 of groceries with an Essentials card. I checked the value and it had $20.26 or so left on it, but when I tried to process the payment, it kept rejecting it, saying bank can't be contacted or so. After about the 3rd time it prompted me for a manual eftpos thing, but it didn't seem to work at all. The duty manager didn't know how to process it either, so I had to turn the customer away. What would other supervisors have done?
I was going to try and refund it and put it on a wish gift card, but I couldn't because it was an essentials card. :S
Only have to do those once in a blue moon. Most of the time you can get away with doing a balance exchange over storenet but that doesn't work with those essentials cards, and you don't see them that often. Depending on the situation, you could have forced another EFT logon, or saved the transaction and moved, just so you know that it isn't the register at fault. But since you don't know how to do manual EFT, there is nothing more that could have been done.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
You were forced to turn a customer away for $10 worth of groceries? You can tell your manager (it's not your fault) isn't tertiary graduated. If they were, they might understand the concept of customer relationship management and customer lifetime value. My store writes off $31k a week in stolen/damaged/out of date stock! For $10, that customer has a positive experience about Woolworths, probably tells their friends about the positive experience, and continues to shop at Woolworths. Instead, I can imagine the customer was quite disappointed about the experience, will tell their friends about said experience, and might decide to defect to Coles/IGA/Aldi. All over $10. Management just don't get it.

Harry778

HSC
I would only ever to a manual EFT with the managers permission. My CSM said there are alot of things that can go wrong with manual EFT's. He said never do it unless I'm here or the SSM cos they're really complicated.

grobsh

HSC
We have our smokes attached the service desk as well, but we have only one old woman who is rostered on for smokeshop, doing the same hours most weekdays, but she just acts like a permanent fixture on express and pretty much anyone serves off the service desk (smokeshop) register. For some reason she has a fifteen minute break every single hour.

Our refurb is starting in a couple of months but i think we will still be able to serve smokes of all registers.
if you're in NSW the new tobacco legislation states that cigarettes can only be sold from one register, meaning cigarettes can only be sold from the smoke shop register.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
You were forced to turn a customer away for $10 worth of groceries? You can tell your manager (it's not your fault) isn't tertiary graduated. If they were, they might understand the concept of customer relationship management and customer lifetime value. My store writes off $31k a week in stolen/damaged/out of date stock! For $10, that customer has a positive experience about Woolworths, probably tells their friends about the positive experience, and continues to shop at Woolworths. Instead, I can imagine the customer was quite disappointed about the experience, will tell their friends about said experience, and might decide to defect to Coles/IGA/Aldi. All over $10. Management just don't get it.
I agree with you on this. One day a customer came in complaining that the bag of pre packed salad she bought the day before went manky before she could eat it. To be fair to us it WAS a reduced bag due to expire in a day, but instead of loosing a customer I agreed to replace it free of charge. What would Woolworths prefer, the $2.50 the bag cost or the customer loyalty ??

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
whatashotbyseve, i think it's a bit of a stretch to say you need to be tertiary graduated to be good at customer service.

and yeah, blah, blah, blah, customer loyalty, i'd rather keep my job thanks. also, with the essentials card, they have to spend it in woolworths anyway....so we arent really loosing a customer.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
whatashotbyseve, i think it's a bit of a stretch to say you need to be tertiary graduated to be good at customer service.

and yeah, blah, blah, blah, customer loyalty, i'd rather keep my job thanks. also, with the essentials card, they have to spend it in woolworths anyway....so we arent really loosing a customer.
I was commended for the way I handled the situation. She came in screaming and one of the poor produce assistants was the first to take the blow and she left smiling and happy for the fantastic service.

If you loose your job for using your brain and trying to provide the best customer service then your manager needs to be the one to go.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
I agree with you on this. One day a customer came in complaining that the bag of pre packed salad she bought the day before went manky before she could eat it. To be fair to us it WAS a reduced bag due to expire in a day, but instead of loosing a customer I agreed to replace it free of charge. What would Woolworths prefer, the $2.50 the bag cost or the customer loyalty ??
Surely the refunds policy states that we have to refund anything 'cheerfully' (bar the whole over $15 without a receipt thing), so surely it doesn't matter if you're a uni graduate or not, you just follow policy and she would have got her salad.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
lordtopcat, i wasnt directing my comments at you, you simply followed woolworths policy.

but providing free groceries because an essentials card doesnt work isnt within woolworths policy, and yes, whilst doing so WOULD have been good customer service, if i did so without my store managers explicity permission, i would be out of a job (or one step closer towards that). And even if i did so, my point is, it doesnt take a uni graduate to see that IS good customer service as whatashotbyseve implied.

Elisejane

HSC
that what i wanted to know for NSW ..

plus i havent been getting paid right scince i started, i called up yesterday and im going in today to get it all fixed up .
they owe me over 200 how crazy !!

anywho i looked at sda pay rates an stuff in a downloadable doc , its really helpful .

Charizard

HSC
As a general rule, most managers who work full time at places like woolies are usually useless anyway.

it requires hardly any education or experience.

FnG

HSC
Hello all,
I'm new here, but I have worked at Safewayfor a while now. This question might have been asked before but I was wondering how I could move from casual to part time?

And just a random question, Which store is the biggest in Vic?
Thanks

Last edited:

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
I can't understand any of your points tbh. I wasn't implying that you should do anything that could cost you your job, I was merely stating that it would be good customer service and that a manager should have understood this.

Tommo The Bommo

HSC
G'day, Im 17 and I applied for the RAAF as an aircraft techo, The recruiter believed that I dont show any kind of proof that I can work in a workplace, despite the fact I did 2 whole weeks of work placement for metals and engineering and was working but whatever... So now I need to gain some form of part time employment for a while to prove I can work. I am looking to apply for woolworths as all the other places I have applied for (maccas, kfc, domino's, subway etc) have knocked me back on the grounds of no prior work experience. I have a few questions: 1. What is the best way to apply for woolies, I have searched on their job site and they say that there is no entry level positions in the whole of nsw.. which I find hard to believe. Am I best going in store and asking for an application or whatever? And 2. Is Woolies likely to hire someone with no previous employment history?

Thanks Tom

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)