• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (12 Viewers)

jirwin

HSC
I didn't realise it wasn't 'legislation' - at Coles the 18+ rule has been in placed for at least a year (I started there beginning of last June). We have to be 18yrs or older and trained (watch a video, do a quiz sheet) before we can serve cigarettes. I've been there a year, get a lot of night works, and they haven't trained me yet (supervisors get annoyed), but I have served them before with permission from Duty Manager as I was the only one that could.

HSC
Question (prob for Townie or those who work in Cash Office)

Do Woolworths stores have faxes? Because my doctor's secretary decided to fax my return to work papers to the store (I gave them the Phone number so they could ring and ask). But that got me thinking - I've never even seen one.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Question (prob for Townie or those who work in Cash Office)

Do Woolworths stores have faxes? Because my doctor's secretary decided to fax my return to work papers to the store (I gave them the Phone number so they could ring and ask). But that got me thinking - I've never even seen one.
we are a small, tiny, shitty store, and we have a fax machine, which is also our photocopier, shoudl be in gen office if u have, find your area phone sheet and it should have fax #'s for every store in the area, think the Area Manager Breakup has fax #'s as well. if u have a fax # 99% certainty there is a fax machine somewhere.....whether anybody ever looks at it, now thats another story

Starfire

HSC
Hi ppl

Just a Q about getting trained as a supervisor on front end.

I was told the other day by my dept manager that they have been watching me and are impressed and then she asked if I would be interested in being trained for supervision, and I said yes, and she goes "oh good cause we wouldn't wanna say to someone were gonna train them for supervision if they weren't interested" and asks me if I would be able to change my availibilty in the future for supervision shifts. Nothing more has been said.

Does this mean they have been discussing who they would wanna train?

How do get trained for this? Do they choose someone and ask them or do you have to go to your manager and say you wanna get trained for supervisor? Do you have to apply to be trained or anything? Do u think it looks promising for me? There are quite a few ppl who have been there longer than me who are not supervisors, so why would they pick me over them?

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
Just a quick Question. Twice Now, I have been asked to watch Self-serve for a few minutes, WITHOUT any formal training in self-serve. I`ve been able to fumble my way through & work out what needed to be done, but would It be appropriate for me to ask my Front-end manager if I could be trained up for self-serve?

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Yeah, with regards to fax machines.
My store has a fax machine (also photocopier) in the Systems Office.
The store's fax number is written on the phones around the store (alongside the store phone number).

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Now who's ready for the big toy sale! We open at 12am tonight, and luckily I finished at 9.30 tonight.

I saw people waiting out the front in camp chairs at 9pm. Bloody crazy. If only they all knew that the Toy Sale prices were all online from 2pm today, lol...:rofl:

Harry778

HSC
^^Hahah silly people. When it was on last year, I had a 6am start and went to get the newspapers from the newsagent, this was like 6.05am, and the doors for Big W were open and there were soooo many people. Hahah, took the heat off us that whole day, opened the doors at 7, one old person strolls in and noone else till like 7.30. Best day it was, feel sorry for Big W though..

sosato

HSC
Re: Casual instead Part-time? was I fooled?

To be PPT I believe you would have needed to sign a contract agreeing to work a set number of regular shifts per week. There is also a minimum number of hours you have to have to be a PT employee. If you're not doing that you've effectively been employed as a casual. You need to kick up a real stink and say you were employed as a PT time employee and have been shafted. I'd start by talking to the store manager and if no love there call HR.

I signed a letter of appointment that was emailed me to attend induction, it did say my employment status is Part-time but does not say anything about number of working hours. Also in the job description it says permanent part-time, that's why I applied for that one, I didnt want a casual job.

They are paying me casual rates so it means I am casual. Also now they are giving me shifts to work in a position other than mine, and not respecting the time frame it was required in the job description. I called HR office but they did nothing, just said they would call my store and see what's going on but nobody ever get back to me. Im afraid to talk to my manager and he starts harassing me. I thought I would have a roster with regular shifts but every week is a surprise, I never know which days I'll be working in, how many hours, I cannot plan anything, I have to be available for them any time.

So my question is: is it worth complain or talk to my manager about all that or nothing will change? does it happen very often? I find it a complete disrespect from them, I thought a big company like Woolies would be more organised and respect their agreements. Maybe that's why staff dont stay there for too long.. Anyone please feel free to share your stories and oppinions

Peartie

HSC
Re: Casual instead Part-time? was I fooled?

the opposite happened to me...was hired as a casual but then moved to part time - in my 3rd or so shift my manager handed me a sheet and just said these are your hours for the next week just sign to show u saw them so i signed then it happened it was actually my 'contract' to become PPT....

if you REALLY want to be PPT go up to your manager with the piece of paper saying you were hired as a PPT and show him that...if he says he doesnt want you to be PPT go either to your store HR and see what they say OR to the union if you are a member...either way im sure it can be worked out...

sosato

HSC
Your store manager won't care. He manages 200 people, he will expect your direct manager to sort it out. Maybe contact cash office, they can tell you exactly what you are being paid as?

Yes you are right, nobody really cares.. it's a shame, they should respect and honour what they promise. Im pissed off, so they do whatever they want and we just bow to them?? HR office doesnt do anything, store manager either, my manager wont do anything as he himself told me I was casual but everything is so wrong that makes me angry. I will take your advice and contact cash office, thanks. Meanwhile Im applying for other jobs

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Your store manager won't care. He manages 200 people, he will expect your direct manager to sort it out. Maybe contact cash office, they can tell you exactly what you are being paid as?
Yeah, this is the best course of action to take.
At the end of the day it's for cash office and your manager to sort out.

SpongeHead

HSC
hey guys,

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with knuckleheads giving u shit when u ask for ID at the smoke shop?

Today I was manning the only register in our stores allowed to cell ciggs and this young girl comes up to me and asks for a pack of winfield blue. I asked for ID as I was getting them and straight away she snaped at me and said "What do I look 12??"... So then I repeated the standard line "We are required to ask for ID..." before she started making fun of me and saying that I looked 12 myself (I've never seen a 12 year old with a beard, but anyway). I then something along the lines of "If you dont like it complain to the govt" and then the boyfriend got in on the act and started swearing his head off at me...

Anyway to cut a long story short, I really don't give a fuck that people get the shits when I ask for ID. I know it's a legal requirement when we sell cigarettes and I know the consequences of selling ciggs to a minor ie criminal record and fine. My question is how can I deal with these idiots?? Meh... at least I won't be dying of lung cancer anytime soon

Last edited:

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
I'd just remind them that company policy was that you ask for ID from anyone who looked under 25, that if they had a problem they could take it up with your manager or purchase elsewhere.
I get pretty annoyed with customers with attitude, lol.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Lol thank God I am not customer trained. I would just tell them they should be flattered or something.

In the weird customer annuls, some dudes came in and bought 200 1kg bags of sugar tonight. We were split between they were store owners who could get it cheaper here than suppliers, or drugs. They did look pretty dodgy. Or option c - they were just having the worlds biggest bake off?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)