The Woolworths Thread (3 Viewers)

Tragesty

HSC
What are you guys opinions on that whole Union thing? I heard people say it's useful, others say it's crap. Is it worth it?

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I got a second interview! Sweeeet....

What are you guys opinions on that whole Union thing? I heard people say it's useful, others say it's crap. Is it worth it?
Somebody I know says it's great because they are careful about what they do with you, but if you aren't with the union they treat you worse.

HSC
In a big company like Woolworths I doubt they know who's in the union and who isn't.

I'm in the union. It came in handy when Woolworths decided not to pay me for a 5 hour shift that I'd done in Perishables before a FrontEnd one, and I had to jump through hoops to get that money. So it was helpful there. Otherwise, I'm only in the union because I don't know how to quit.

bigjohn639

HSC
Hey fellow Woolworthians,
For those who attend high school, eg. years 11 and 12, what sorts of hours per week do you work?

NC8000

HSC
N/A
In a big company like Woolworths I doubt they know who's in the union and who isn't.
Of course we know who is in the union, it comes out of your pay. very easy to check something like that

HSC
Of course we know who is in the union, it comes out of your pay. very easy to check something like that
Well yeh of course.
I meant more readily at the manager/staff member level.
But its not like they tiptoe around people who are in the union compared to those who aren't.

bigjohn I started there when I was in Year 10. I usually did around 12-15 hours in Year 11, and then 3-5 in Year 12 (not just because of Year 12, had other things going on as well).

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
Does anyone have any Info about The New Self-Serve?

All I know is that apparently there is a button for 'Use New Bag'. Customers press this when they want to change bags, instead of having to wait for the lights above the scanner to go green.

As a lowly service cashier, I don`t have access to storenet at work . There`s No version for Employees online, is there?

HSC
I have been at Woolworths for five years and I have never, ever found one use for the union. Haven't missed not joining up at all. $7/week x 52 weeks x 5 years adds up. Save your money.
I sort of agree.
I haven't yet found a way to un-join, and at induction they kind of conned us into joining by telling us it was just another form to fill in. I was hesitant at the time, but clearly I've wasted my money now.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i try treat my union membership as a sort of insurance, i'll probably never need to use it, but if something goes wrong i;ll be glad to have it.

feel kinda bad, was majorly sick this morning and didnt go in, but there's nobody who can replace me, so things on monday are going to be a bit of a mess. (e.g. i was supposed to to cigarette and prop bake stocktake + cash office + systems)

bdude

HSC
I get it all back.
You wouldn't get it all back unless you paid 100% tax. Deductions can only reduce your taxable income to $0 and as such you can only get back the tax you paid throughout the year. And if you earn under whatever it is to qualify for the low income tax offset then you already get all your tax back and as such the deduction provides no benefit.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I've got some questions guys.

1) For discount cards, can you give them to family members for when they go shopping?
2) What's the rules for working in the smoke shop in Victoria (Safeway). I know under 18's who do it.
3) Can you refuse split transactions for the fuel discounts?

Thanks

Last edited:

danberg

HSC
I've got some questions guys.

1) For discount cards, can you give them to family members for when they go shopping?
2) What's the rules for working in the smoke shop in Victoria (Safeway). I know under 18's who do it.
3) Can you refuse split transactions for the fuel discounts?

Thanks
1: at my training (induction) they said its OK to use it for family members, as long as YOU are present, ie. you hand it to the cashier (though if you get part time just get a second card online)
2: Safeway and Victoria is OK with U/18s selling smokes, as long as u follow the U/25 ID policy
3: NO! the customer should be able to choose whenever they want to pay for something/pay separately (my view)- though maybe if its really busy you could be a bit reluctant (keep in mind that if they have an EDR card they're missing out on FF points)

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
3: NO! the customer should be able to choose whenever they want to pay for something/pay separately (my view)- though maybe if its really busy you could be a bit reluctant (keep in mind that if they have an EDR card they're missing out on FF points)
Actually, Company Policy for woolworths is now that we are not ALLOWED to do it under any circumstances. Changed a few months ago.

pokerchoker

HSC
You wouldn't get it all back unless you paid 100% tax. Deductions can only reduce your taxable income to $0 and as such you can only get back the tax you paid throughout the year. And if you earn under whatever it is to qualify for the low income tax offset then you already get all your tax back and as such the deduction provides no benefit.
+1

"I get it all back on tax", I can't understand why so many people actually believe this when it comes to tax deductions. If you're a low income earner you'll be getting 15% back on your union fees or even zero.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Thanks guys.

BTW - I have an interview Wednesday. Are they going to ask me the same old, same old? Why do you want the job, previous experiences, etc?

Last edited:

bdude

HSC
The tax payable on $18000 a year is $1800
The tax payable on $17700 a year is $1755 (with your union fees deducted)

The difference between the two is $45 (or 15% of $300) which represents the maxium you can receive through your tax return for your union fees.

bdude

HSC
The tax payable on $18000 a year is $1800
The tax payable on $17700 a year is $1755 (with your union fees deducted)

The difference between the two is $45 (or 15% of $300) which represents the maxium you can receive through your tax return for your union fees.

danberg

HSC
Actually, Company Policy for woolworths is now that we are not ALLOWED to do it under any circumstances. Changed a few months ago.
but how can employees possibly be expected to enfore that? plus they'd never get 'caught' or penalised for it. WHat if someone is paying something for a business and something for themselves? What is someone needs a separate receipt for some things? What is someone is buying some things for someone else with their money- and paying by card for their purchases (esp. since we can't 'subtotal' the docket anymore)?

if safeway/woolworths honestly cared about this they'd communicate it to staff properly, and customers- but they won't do so because its full of holes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)