• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (7 Viewers)

danberg

HSC
I see how you got $10.02 p/h, but not sure how you found out the after-training wage, as it says nothing about it.

How did you find the $10.54 p/h wage?
thats for a 15 year old, btw (edit: 16 & under)
the sda sends out a bulletin every wage increase and it lists all current rates
Grade 4= SHop Assistant
Grade 5= Shop Assistant first four months, cleaner, trolley collector
thats SAFEWAY- so VIC (as at 1 Jan '09- current rates)

that said, its probs in the EBA, though we'll have a new one pretty soon.

Last edited:

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
thats for a 15 year old, btw
the sda sends out a bulletin every wage increase and it lists all current rates
Grade 4= SHop Assistant
Grade 5= Shop Assistant first four months, cleaner, trolley collector
thats SAFEWAY- so VIC (as at 1 Jan '09- current rates)

that said, its probs in the EBA, though we'll have a new one pretty soon.
Ahhhh, I thought all the grades were different departments. Interesting :p
BTW, isn't it <16, not 15 age? :\

So we'll have a new EBA or a new wage increase soon? Sounds good :p

Cheers!

BTW: I'm upset that i'll be working 24-7 (so to speak) (most likely) through Christmas holidays on grade 5 wage :(. That extra 50 cents does make a difference :( :( :(

Last edited:
HSC
Ahhhh, I thought all the grades were different departments. Interesting :p
BTW, isn't it <16, not 15 age? :\

So we'll have a new EBA or a new wage increase soon? Sounds good :p

Cheers!

BTW: I'm upset that i'll be working 24-7 (so to speak) (most likely) through Christmas holidays on grade 5 wage :(. That extra 50 cents does make a difference :( :( :(
You might not be - if you're decent at your job they might sign off on your probation after two months. Then you're paid at the higher grade.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Haha well i'd only have this thread to thank. I'm sure i'd be able to operate a checkout with 0 training after reading everything here. I've picked up so many tips, like.. how to make sub totals (enter then cancel), and so on.
BTW, I haven't actually started yet, will be starting next week.

Any more tips or pointers to get me forward a bit on registers?

LIQR7

HSC
N/A
they're not white??? - theyre pale green, as seen in LIQR7's photos which are the actual shirt

FYI, the shirt I posted was a females short sleeved shirt. the males one is more greener. (yes, BOTH are GREEN).

Also, nightfill will all wear a 2 tone shirt with green at the top part from top of chest up. with the Green W on the left. Produce will wear a new striped apron with the W on the front breast area. bakery will be white with the green W on the front and a white bakers hat also with the green W. There are black vests and jumpers with the green W on them also.

All looks quite sharp, they put up a pile of images at the conference as well a week ago.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
FYI, the shirt I posted was a females short sleeved shirt. the males one is more greener. (yes, BOTH are GREEN).

Also, nightfill will all wear a 2 tone shirt with green at the top part from top of chest up. with the Green W on the left. Produce will wear a new striped apron with the W on the front breast area. bakery will be white with the green W on the front and a white bakers hat also with the green W. There are black vests and jumpers with the green W on them also.

All looks quite sharp, they put up a pile of images at the conference as well a week ago.
Will supervisor's vests be altered as well?

ekul444

HSC
N/A

cool, glad they're changing aprons/hats etc. they were the same ones from the uniform BEFORE the current one (Shits/ties!) weren't they?

what conference was this that u found all this out?

ekul444

HSC
N/A
Haha well i'd only have this thread to thank. I'm sure i'd be able to operate a checkout with 0 training after reading everything here. I've picked up so many tips, like.. how to make sub totals (enter then cancel), and so on.
BTW, I haven't actually started yet, will be starting next week.

Any more tips or pointers to get me forward a bit on registers?
haha, although you can't do subtotals anymore, they appear on the screen but don't print on the receipt.

uuum, although i don't do it (simply cause i cbf) , but weve discussed it on here, customers seem to really like it when you count change back, plus it makes sure you dont make mistakes.

- really make an effort to pack well (but dont be too slow about it), i usually have a rule of the equivalent of 2x 2L milk as my absolute maximum in a bag. ask customers if theyd like meat seperate, or hot chickens seperate, or meat in a plastic bag if they have green bags, those kind of things. common sense really. sometimes i make it my challenge to get a perfectly packed green bag, its like a game of tetris LOL pretty sad i know, but it helps me get through the day hahaha

- get into a habit of asking for everyday rewards card EVERY SINGLE TIME. its hard for me because i did checkout for like a year and a bit before they started, so i still forget sometimes. there is nothing worse than you finishing a transaction and a customer saying they forgot their card and asking if it is too late.

will post more if anything comes to mind

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Thanks dude! I'll try my best at packing, because my mother is constantly leaving supermarkets having a whinge at how pathetically packed the bag is, hahaha.

there is nothing worse than you finishing a transaction and a customer saying they forgot their card and asking if it is too late.
That's when you scan the card and get rid of the error message on the screen (if one comes up), right ? LOL

ekul444

HSC
N/A
That's when you scan the card and get rid of the error message on the screen (if one comes up), right ? LOL
oh so you havnt been to training yet?

um basically you can scan the card any time at all during the transaction, if you havn't scanned if before you hit 'finish and pay' (lol FAIL, i can't remember what the button is on registers now, ive got self serve stuck in my head), (i think its enter....) then a blue screen comes up asking to scan the card, if they dont have one hit cancel. they gotta swipe their card before you hit the cash amount, or their EFTPOS is processing... otherwise theyve missed out.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah, EDR asking is a HUGE problem at my store because lmost all the operators came before it was introduced, so forget to ask.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
oh so you havnt been to training yet?

um basically you can scan the card any time at all during the transaction, if you havn't scanned if before you hit 'finish and pay' (lol FAIL, i can't remember what the button is on registers now, ive got self serve stuck in my head), (i think its enter....) then a blue screen comes up asking to scan the card, if they dont have one hit cancel. they gotta swipe their card before you hit the cash amount, or their EFTPOS is processing... otherwise theyve missed out.
Nah, what I meant was.. Once the transaction is completely finished, scan their card and say it went through. lol.

ekul444

HSC
N/A
Nah, what I meant was.. Once the transaction is completely finished, scan their card and say it went through. lol.
hahaha lol, well yes you can... but it will print a fuel voucher at the bottom of the receipt, so they will know what you did

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Here's another lame question i'll ask even thoug probably find out in training very soon (lol)
Regarding self-serve, is there a staff menu we can get up if need be?

LIQR7

HSC
N/A
cool, glad they're changing aprons/hats etc. they were the same ones from the uniform BEFORE the current one (Shits/ties!) weren't they?

what conference was this that u found all this out?
Yep, they were the same as before.

Conference = Woolworths National Conference held in Melbourne a week ago ;)

Treefeet

HSC
I found out early this week, that woolworths will be getting a another new uniform, just like the Big w blue shirts, we will be getting cotton green stripy ones :p

Regarding self-serve : there is a manual (hard-copy) you can look up, but using the on-screen is so much easier and faster. but with the new self-serve updated version.. its horrible, not user friendly at all. Buttons everywhere and the lady voice has changed aswell. Not looking forward to it coming into play a day before grand final :p

ekul444

HSC
N/A
I found out early this week, that woolworths will be getting a another new uniform, just like the Big w blue shirts, we will be getting cotton green stripy ones :p

Regarding self-serve : there is a manual (hard-copy) you can look up, but using the on-screen is so much easier and faster. but with the new self-serve updated version.. its horrible, not user friendly at all. Buttons everywhere and the lady voice has changed aswell. Not looking forward to it coming into play a day before grand final :p
welcome to The woolworths Thread treefeet :)
we have been discussing the new uniforms for the last few pages, maybe you should checkout the discussion and the photos that have been uploaded, i dont believe that they are similar to BigW though....

new self serve has also been a big point of discussion, your thoughts and experiences with it once you have it (i guess you are getting it tomorow??) will be very interesting. it would be great if you could share them here =]

Last edited:

MrFuzz

HSC
I kinda got offered a promotion today to another position, but I don't think I want it and the extra responsibilities it comes with, ive not even been working there a year yet, anyone got any ideas on what to say to refuse it and stay doing what i am now without the managers thinking i dont care about the company (whether i do or not is a different story) lol

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I kinda got offered a promotion today to another position, but I don't think I want it and the extra responsibilities it comes with, ive not even been working there a year yet, anyone got any ideas on what to say to refuse it and stay doing what i am now without the managers thinking i dont care about the company (whether i do or not is a different story) lol
I would just say "thanks but no thanks". Just explain that you'd like to stay where you are a bit longer, they won't care. A promotion is a promotion, so if you don't want it, they are not going to think "wtf dickhead".
May I ask what position it is?

MrFuzz

HSC
I would just say "thanks but no thanks". Just explain that you'd like to stay where you are a bit longer, they won't care. A promotion is a promotion, so if you don't want it, they are not going to think "wtf dickhead".
May I ask what position it is?
Yeah i guess they wont care that much, theyll get over it
from nightfill to backdock receipt/dispatch feels like a big jump after so little time IMO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)