• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (7 Viewers)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
where is your store? if you mean for next week ? im not rostered on from monday to wednesday at my store in mt druitt if your are still looking for someone i can replace someones shift. im available. only if your still wanting CSO from other stores
haha, funny story about that, stupid new store took my good staff, then didnt give them any shifts, so i'm just secretly re-employing them back at my store.

get this, this new store is TRAINING SUPERVISORS who have NEVER WORKED ON REGISTERS

Steve Z

HSC
Got a few questions that all of you are probably the best people to answer.

I've worked for Woolies for about a year. and I'm cross trained everywhere except meat and liquor (not including petrol). Pretty experienced in all departments, but most so in produce, deli, and service. How is it that my store can only hand out 3 or 5 hours a week to me? Is it just this time of the year or is this just me?

Also, I've applied for a nightfill 2IC position at another store. What's my chances of getting the job? I got a pretty good appraisal from my store and a good reference from my department manager when I worked at another store, and my interview went really well. How long does it take for the store to get back to you, either way?

Oh, and the new shirts. I ordered a plain one, can I change my mind and get a spotted one instead? And striped shirts - 2ICs or just dept managers?

Edit: Oh, and as for the PA system. I once got really shitty because I called a service 40 longlife like 4 times, so I picked up the mic and let out a huge sigh - which the whole store heard. I cracked up laughing and the CSM had to do my service 40 call. Fail.

Edit: And what's the difference between a 2IC and an ADM, in terms of pay, etc.

Last edited:

lacho95

HSC
Got a few questions that all of you are probably the best people to answer.

I've worked for Woolies for about a year. and I'm cross trained everywhere except meat and liquor (not including petrol). Pretty experienced in all departments, but most so in produce, deli, and service. How is it that my store can only hand out 3 or 5 hours a week to me? Is it just this time of the year or is this just me?
Well, first off, are you under 16?? If so, then you can;t work over 12 hours a week. And they might just not have any hours available for you. Secondlly, maybe they don't like you (N.offence)

BSammy

HSC
it's funny about the office shift though, that you'll still be doing it, i've noticed that about office shifts, no matter whats going on 99% of the time people will show up for a shift in the office. i know i've done my fair share when i've still been drunk from the night before etc. in fact i have only missed one, when i so ridiculously sick when i got out of bed i fainted, even then i was giving directions over the phone on what to do.
Yeah, I've found that as well.

A few factors with that, I found out at 8 last night, and my shift was at 6 this morning. Didn't want to leave them with no cash office person, or not long to find one.
Also it's pretty easy to just hide in the office and get work done, Front end with all the customers and staff to deal with I wouldn't have managed.
Also, one girl is pretty much the only person they would have called in, and I don't really want to give her more hours. :p

It was easy to get off the rest of the weekend. Duty manager today is our CSM, and I'm pretty much his favourite person.

Back on Monday. 6am. Pretty much my favourite morning, especially when the WBS balances.

Steve Z

HSC
Well, first off, are you under 16?? If so, then you can;t work over 12 hours a week. And they might just not have any hours available for you. Secondlly, maybe they don't like you (N.offence)
I'm 19, and I regularly work 38 hour weeks by floating in between stores. They might not like me, i dunno, but they always generally call me when people chuck sickies.

HSC

The 12 hour per week thing actually doesn't apply everywhere - some of our schoolkids regularly work 12-16 hours per week.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Just rang work to get hours, 3IC says

"No I'm really busy"
"Can I call back in a couple of minutes?"
"Give me twenty, bye"

Meh.

Tragesty

HSC
Where'd this <16 working no more then 12 hours rulle from from? I'm 15 and work around fifteen hours a week (Melbourne). Wouldn't mind a rule liek that, I don't like saying no to shifts I'm given, even though sometimes I don't wanna work -_-''

HSC
Where'd this <16 working no more then 12 hours rulle from from? I'm 15 and work around fifteen hours a week (Melbourne). Wouldn't mind a rule liek that, I don't like saying no to shifts I'm given, even though sometimes I don't wanna work -_-''
I have heard it before, I don't know if its a legal requirement or just something in a particular states award.

lacho95 what state are you in?

Tragesty

HSC
Ah, ok.

I'm thinking about going to my manager and asking for just weekend shifts, as opposed to the Friday, Sat, Sunday shifts. But I'm afraid (yes, I'm not very gutsy -_-'') they'd get pissed off; but I found out one of my fellow employees only works every Friday. Do you guys think my manager would mind or get pissed off If I asked rather then working Friday saturdays and Sundays, I asked ust for weeends? I never realized when I signed up, they'd gve me 15-17 hours a week as a 15 year old (Deli) o_O

Oh, and on another note; I called in Thursday asking to cancel my Saturday shift (today), but my Duty manager (my main manager is on holiday) said that I couldn't and he'd get in trouble if he took my shift off; anyone know why? I'll probably ask him today, but just kind of annoyed I called in two days in advance (is that not enough? :( and I couldn't cancel; so much for going to my family dinner for my grandmother coming home.

...and yesterday they asked me to work today an extra two hours because an employee was moving homes and couldn't work and such. I agreed, because I ain't busy today, but come on; am I just being an immature baby, over reacting, or are they using me? Should I stand my ground and say no if they ask me to work two/three exra hours when I don't want to? God I wish I wasn't so babyish.

Last edited:

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Ah, ok.

I'm thinking about going to my manager and asking for just weekend shifts, as opposed to the Friday, Sat, Sunday shifts. But I'm afraid (yes, I'm not very gutsy -_-'') they'd get pissed off; but I found out one of my fellow employees only works every Friday. Do you guys think my manager would mind or get pissed off If I asked rather then working Friday saturdays and Sundays, I asked ust for weeends? I never realized when I signed up, they'd gve me 15-17 hours a week as a 15 year old (Deli) o_O
You can only ask, just see what they say.. Say something like "can I run an idea by you?".
But to be honest, my Safeway works me inside out. I had one shift this week (3 hours on Sunday), and ended up working 22 hours (SO FAR), plus service has a larger work load then Deli.
Funny thing is, I told them 5 times that I couldn't work during mon-fri THIS WEEK, due to work experience. Not only do they put me on the roster, they call me up during days/nights to see if I can work.

Meh, good money.

--
RE: rest of your post.. Yes, stand your ground. They will dislike you for 5 minutes then forget about it.

Tragesty

HSC
Yeah I guess it is good money; but you didn't really want to work in the first place.

I understand that there's times when people call in sick or something happens on short notice and employees need to be replaced and called in, just seems I can never seem to say 'sorry, can't work the extra hours' to them, face to face or over the phone.

Yeah I'm hoping they'll be like 'Damn, why can't the kid work', then move on to ask someone else or just forget about it. I hope.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Yeah I guess it is good money; but you didn't really want to work in the first place.

I understand that there's times when people call in sick or something happens on short notice and employees need to be replaced and called in, just seems I can never seem to say 'sorry, can't work the extra hours' to them, face to face or over the phone.

Yeah I'm hoping they'll be like 'Damn, why can't the kid work', then move on to ask someone else or just forget about it. I hope.
Well one time I got called up, and she was absolutely amazed that I said yes. I think I made her day.
So after that I wouldn't feel so bad about saying no, since I know a lot of other people 'obviously' say no.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Since when?!
*thinks back to the bazillion hours worked as a 15 y.o.*

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
I had one shift this week (3 hours on Sunday), and ended up working 22 hours (SO FAR), plus service has a larger work load then Deli.
Gotta disagree there... sure it can be annoying on service... but deli is a lot more work than front end (this is coming from someone who has worked both)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)