• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (8 Viewers)

yoddle

is cool
HSC
So who's the morning DM that is slacking off having the afternoon off? lol

p.s. wouldn't nightfill face the shop?
We haven't had a nightfill for about five years.

Why aren't you allowed to do a close call?
Someone decided a few years ago, it's an area or region-wide thing I think, iMathew are you allowed?

Also our cigarette load tends to be disproportionate to the size of our store, i.e. larger. Lots of bogans I think.

Last edited:

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Someone decided a few years ago, it's an area or region-wide thing I think, iMathew are you allowed?
Indeed we are. We do a:

- 30 minute call
- 20 minute call
- 15 minute call
- 10 minute call
- 5 minute call
- 2 minute call (the 'we are serious, gtfo now' call) :p
- Closed call

PyroTek

HSC
we used to do a 15/5/close/5 past call (if necessary) or just a 15/10/5/closed/5 past call.
Now our area requires we don't do calls :(

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Indeed we are. We do a:

- 30 minute call
- 20 minute call
- 15 minute call
- 10 minute call
- 5 minute call
- Closed call
That is ridiculously OTT in my opinion. If I was a customer I'd be pissed off. Like a thirty minute close call? You get less than that boarding an aircraft.

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
Indeed we are. We do a:

- 30 minute call
- 20 minute call
- 15 minute call
- 10 minute call
- 5 minute call
- Closed call
Sounds a bit over the top. We do 15/5/Closed Call. Never had trouble getting customers out of the store.

BSammy

HSC
We do 10 minute call at quarter to, 5 minute at 10 to. and the we are closed call at 5 to.

As far as I know, there's been nothing saying not to do close calls.

Anyone know for sure if we're getting paid early this week?

HSC
My store must be falling apart re wage budgets. At 9.55am I got a call saying that they cut my front end shift for today - which started at 10.30am. Could they not have told me yesterday?
Never mind, by 10.45 they've had two noshows anyway (approx 1/3 of front end staff), so they called me back asking me to work. But I'm taking my sweet ass time in getting there.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Ha, we get 4 boxes of smokes a week, 2 on Tuesday and 2 on Thursday. Considering we have 4 smoke carousels + 2 floor - counter displays on Express.

We (as in produce) got raped today. It was full-ish this morning, just left and it's like World War 3 has hit.

BSammy

HSC
We get a smoke load every day.

Usually 1-2 boxes, occasionally 3. On friday we get a tiny, load, usually about ten items, mostly tobacco.

booshbanditxx

HSC
Uni Grad
argh!!!
Today all three of our scales in the Deli had a spaz...at the same time!
We're all like..."ummm.....shit!?"

It was the busiest it had been all day...:mad1:

But what annoyed me was how impaitient some people are. They were treating us like we had purposely stopped the scales from working....

bdude

HSC
But what annoyed me was how impaitient some people are. They were treating us like we had purposely stopped the scales from working....
Of course it's totally your fault, durrr (sarcasm)

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
got my roster for next week:
Monday: SUPERVSN 19:15-24:15
Tuesday: OPERATOR 18:00-23:00
Thursday: SUPERVSN 18:30-19:30
OPERATOR 19:30-23:30

Saturday: OPERATOR 18:30-23:30
Sunday: OPERATOR 18:00-23:00
^^^FML back to school night, it's gonna be sooo busy and no extra staff that night.
grid is only two pages plus Supervisor page....
Our Safeway only has 1 page of regular operators (then 1 page of supervisors, which is two people, then 1 page of self serve, also 2 people)

lacho95

HSC
Hey everyone;
Just wanted to knoo "what" the self serve operator does. Cause i might be going onto SS soon and yeah,... Like whats procedures and shit.. thanks

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Self Serve 101
SCO Guide & Procedures

Important Rules:
- Never open the silver notes dispenser case whilst customers are in the store
- You are only allowed to have one of the machines silver coin dispenser cases open at the one given time (unless store has ceased trading like above)
- NEVER do cigarettes/refunds/reduce to clears/scanning polices on the SCO's

Tips:
- To reboot a SCO, there is a keyboard in a compartment under on the bottom left or right of the notes compartment (usually directly under the bagginng area) - Use "Ctrl + Alt + Del", and select "Log Off". The machine will restart and fix itself.
- At night when collecting the money from each note dispensing compartment, there will be a lifty tab thing at the top, lift this up and see if any money is in there, if so, put it with the money you have collected.
- The IT help desk number has been labled onto the front of the SCO folder which is in the cupboard with the service folders and other various folders.
After changing the receipt roll, you may need to do a "Printer Reset", but you will need to do a "Refresh Receipt", so the Woolworths header refreshes.
- Make sure self serve is pretty. Keep it clean at ALL times, empty bins when 3/4 full, pick up rubbish off the floor, clean the machines if they become dirty (because they will)
- Make sure you fluff (pull) the bags out ready for the customer to go. Watching a customer trying to tuck a bag out is painful, and they end up pulling half off and dumping them in the bagging area causing a DISGUSTING mess.
- When the light above the scale goes green, the items/bags in the bagging area can be removed.
- SCO's can be controlled by POS, which is the screen we have for the registers. To access this go to "Store Login > POS". Note: you will have access to the SVR menu (supervisor menu). I suggest you get a supervisor help you with learning some of the basic functions you will need for self serve (voiding transactions, disc. dumps, quantities, etc)
- If an "A" or a "W" appears on the EFTPOS machines, go into the SVR menu and press "EFT Logon", this will basically relog the EFT machines on and should fix any issues with it.

When an incorrect amount dispenses:
- Get the money from the smokeshop tills and give to the customer. Make a note for the smokeshop register of how much was incorrectly dispensed if over a few dollars.

Receipt Rolls
- When a receipt roll is running low, the light for the SCO will flash red constantly even when there are no errors on the screen. You must change the roll ASAP, because if the receipt roll runs out during a transaction/whilst printing a recepit, it will become unresponsive for around 5 minutes and will cause a lot of issues.

When closing self serve, do the following:

1) Store Login > Print ATM Management Report
2) Turn Lane Light OFF
3) POS > Sign Off
4) Open the top compartment, empty the contents of the coin accepter collector into the "acceptor" bag, and do the same with the notes acceptor located right next to it. Rubber bands are not necessary when putting the notes into the acceptor bag.
5) Open the bottom notes dispenser case and empty the contents of the three draws ($5, $20, $50) into the "dispenser" bag. You must put each of these in a rubber band. Put the three rubber bands sets of notes into the dispenser bag.
6) Close the machines and lock them properly

Step 4 and 5 can be swapped, you do not have to do the top compartment first.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Hey everyone;
Just wanted to knoo "what" the self serve operator does. Cause i might be going onto SS soon and yeah,... Like whats procedures and shit.. thanks
See above. And also, to answer your question, we do the following:

Fix weight errors and deal with general errors by ignorant customers (not easy)
Deal with customers who have no idea how to use the machines
Put bags in the bagging areas
Change receipt rolls
Do change orders (if on the morning shift)

PyroTek

HSC
My store must be falling apart re wage budgets. At 9.55am I got a call saying that they cut my front end shift for today - which started at 10.30am. Could they not have told me yesterday?
I was under the impression that it was a requirement to give 3 hours notice if cutting a shift - if less they are required to pay you for the shift. That's the union ruling here in QLD, not sure about where you are.

Pyro

HSC
I was under the impression that it was a requirement to give 3 hours notice if cutting a shift - if less they are required to pay you for the shift. That's the union ruling here in QLD, not sure about where you are.

Pyro
I would have thought at least an hours notice would have been neccessarily.

They rang the afternoon office cashier at 12.30 (she's supposed to start at 2pm) saying not to come in until 4. So seeing as she needed to do 3 hours min, we sat there for 15 minutes making favourites menus in office.

Also, no supervisor rostered on for tomorrow night, until I noticed and said something...

Craven

HSC
If you're casual, you're casual. As long as you haven't already arrived at work, it's fine to cancel a shift.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)