The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

MMacka

HSC
N/A
Umm, I got sent to pack around 11am because they were so behind. But then we got busy so it would have only been about 10 minutes that I spent in there. I did markdowns around 4ish and everything looked empty - but that could be because sales were good.

But only bad because the person who did your shift is 'sick', but not sick enough to volunteer to do 45 minutes on express when we probably only needed her for 20 max. Also take into consideration how much slower she is at everything than you.

I don't know what time your 2IC was supposed to have left today, but it was felt like he was there all afternoon :confused:

Not in my store (we open Sundays on long weekends and public holidays), its generally crazy between 11 and 3, and steady until close (we're open 10-5).
We did 15k more than budget today. Didn't help that we were down two in the afternoon.
Thats sounds terrible, but it doesn't surprise me to be honest. I can't believe you were in there packing, its never that bad!

Well I did have fun water zorbing today, although i'm still sat here studying human biology and i'm freaking because I have a test on Friday thats worth 10% of the unit and I am still trying to study heaps all at once so I don't get left behind with all the new content. I think this has been the most freaked I have been since starting uni, at least I have pretty much finished all my assignments for the entire semester though.

I applied for that position as a patient care assistant at the local hospital, it would be so good to have a job there whilst I am finishing my Nursing degree. I hope the STM gives a really good reference when they call him. :p

HSC
By the time I whinged about it though I didn't actually do anything - I got SENT to pack by our SSM (who would prefer to stand around talking about the unusually high male to female ratio on service today than actually help his staff) - then I realised that everyone else in bakery had gone on break or was elsewhere, so I didn't bother. But 10 minutes of my time wasted.

HSC
Not in my store (we open Sundays on long weekends and school holidays), its generally crazy between 11 and 3, and steady until close (we're open 10-5).
We did 15k more than budget today. Didn't help that we were down two in the afternoon.
That trend of craziness sounds like Saturday at my store. :) But yea, I was kinda talking about those that don't open on Sundays. :)

HSC
Were open from 07:30-22:00 monday-saturday and 08:00-22:00 on sundays.

while liquor opens at 09:30-22:00 everyday except sunday they open at 10:00

HSC
I am the best employee ever today. Bailed on my 5am tickets shift, giving it to possibly the worst person at tickets I've ever seen, and just (well not just, more like 8am) rang in sick for the front end shift I swapped it for.

Go me.

EDIT: We are closed on the 25th AND 26th. Saturday is going to be CRAZY.

Last edited:

kevin94

HSC
No. You need a later availability than that to be useful in nightfill, imo.
If you're 15 and still at school, some NSW law also prevents you from working later than 10 pm (or some bs time like that) on school nights. You're better off applying for grocery (dayfill), freshies or front end.
So would grocery be produce assistant specifically? and what do you for front end?? also, what things would you mostly be stocking for longlife assistant and presishable assistant??
thanks.

Harry778

HSC
Has anyone else gone back and read old posts?
Some of them are funny.
They’re like a massive timeline of some member’s woolies career.

Haha!! Yeah I went from complaining about not having supervisor numbers to doing 1 month 3IC relief. Does that mean I'm 4IC? Lol..if thats even a thing?

Fuck I miss smoke shop!

HSC
Haha!! Yeah I went from complaining about not having supervisor numbers to doing 1 month 3IC relief. Does that mean I'm 4IC? Lol..if thats even a thing?

Fuck I miss smoke shop!
Haha I remember when you were complaining about losing your sup numbers, that was funny.

And I'd say 4IC exists, our store sufficiency chart lists four people in charge of front end. Just not officially. Its hilarious though, our 3IC NEVER gets supervision shifts these days, yet the girl listed as 4IC gets a minimum of 2 full days supervision a week.

kevin94

HSC
produce = fruit and veg
longlife = grocery
perishables = milk, cheese etc
front end = checkouts.
Thanks.

Crap, I totally got grocery and fruit and veg mixed up. I thought grocery was fruit and veg and was why I thought it was produce.

hmm... I don't know, I really want to work but most people tell me not to and just focus on study.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Thanks.

Crap, I totally got grocery and fruit and veg mixed up. I thought grocery was fruit and veg and was why I thought it was produce.

hmm... I don't know, I really want to work but most people tell me not to and just focus on study.
If you're still at school it's not like you would be working full time.

Why can you not work a few hours plus study? Plenty of others manage it.

kevin94

HSC
If you're still at school it's not like you would be working full time.

Why can you not work a few hours plus study? Plenty of others manage it.
Well, i've been looking for places, but like there aren't really any positions that would probably be typically "right" for me. I mean, if there was a position that i really wanted to apply for then smack bang I will and probs only work less than 10 hours mostly on the weekends.
Right now, i always think to myself that i couldve made tonnes of money by now if i just applied at fast food last year, but if nothing comes up, that interests me, then i guess fast food it is, even though it would probs be disgusting to work there. Friend says working at KFC is fully hard work and he quit.

Well, I guess i'm just too picky and like before, I'm thinking of applying for nightfill at woolies and i want to work fridays (5/6pm to 10/11pmish) and maybe saturday ( 4/5pm to 9/10pm), but I don't know if thats ok. The position is casual and asks for about 5-10 hours a week.

Also, when i walk into coles/woolies, the staff look so pissed sometimes and like, i'm scared of working there, cause like i dont know if imma gonna fit in or get bullied or some crap. Maybe im just a pussy, lol.

And what were you people experiences like when you first started, were you guys like scared??

HSC
Well, i've been looking for places, but like there aren't really any positions that would probably be typically "right" for me. I mean, if there was a position that i really wanted to apply for then smack bang I will and probs only work less than 10 hours mostly on the weekends.
Right now, i always think to myself that i couldve made tonnes of money by now if i just applied at fast food last year, but if nothing comes up, that interests me, then i guess fast food it is, even though it would probs be disgusting to work there. Friend says working at KFC is fully hard work and he quit.

Well, I guess i'm just too picky and like before, I'm thinking of applying for nightfill at woolies and i want to work fridays (5/6pm to 10/11pmish) and maybe saturday ( 4/5pm to 9/10pm), but I don't know if thats ok. The position is casual and asks for about 5-10 hours a week.

Also, when i walk into coles/woolies, the staff look so pissed sometimes and like, i'm scared of working there, cause like i dont know if imma gonna fit in or get bullied or some crap. Maybe im just a pussy, lol.

And what were you people experiences like when you first started, were you guys like scared??
My brother quit KFC after a few weeks. He absolutely hated it.

The thing with nightfill is that they will automatically screen you out because of your age. I know there was a girl who worked nightfill a few years ago when she was 16, she worked Thursdays 6-10 and Saturdays 12-8. The difference was though that she had transferred from another store (I think as grocery), so she didn't have to go through initial interview/hiring procedures.
The job itself is not hard, and I'm sure you will eventually be able to find hours that suit what you want - perhaps not nightfill though.

I can tell you right now that working at Woolies is not scary. The staff are going to be pissed off sometimes anywhere you go - if you had encountered me on Saturday I think you will have been sworn off employment of any kind FOREVER. But then yesterday I was rather chirpy. IDK, I know most of the people at my store are pretty decent. I seem to have put a few offside in my time (especially recently), but for every person I have an actual issue with there are 10 brilliant ones.

Everyone bitches about management but you are not there to be friends with your managers, and they are not there to be friends with you. I consider a reasonably nice manager a bonus - ie the SM we have at the moment, or my SSM. I called in sick this morning with quite a pathetic reason (I've had pretty bad cramps in my legs all day today and yesterday, yesterday I was at a point where my efforts of walking the floor were sitting on the service desk floor), and he just laughed and promised he wouldn't tell my CSM how lazy I am, just that I'm sick.
As much as yes, so much about my job sucks, unless I get something degree related I'm not leaving for the time being.

Mannequin25

HSC
lmfao, ran the floor by myself today. First day of the 2IC relief and my CSM was away lol. At 8:50 one of the operators (who i haaaaate. shes on workers comp, and she really milks it for all its worth. seriously, she wouldnt have a brain to bless herself with lol) called in sick. She was meant to start at 9. She said she had been up all night being sick. I lost my shit at her :p I was like, um your meant to start in TEN MINUTES, if youve been up all night being sick, why couldnt you have called me earlier? She was like, oh i didnt think about it (riiiiiiiiiight, when your meant to start in 10mins, and you live 30mins away....) i told her that she wasnt being paid for it unless she could provide me with a medical certificate. She hung up one me :p

HSC
lmfao, ran the floor by myself today. First day of the 2IC relief and my CSM was away lol. At 8:50 one of the operators (who i haaaaate. shes on workers comp, and she really milks it for all its worth. seriously, she wouldnt have a brain to bless herself with lol) called in sick. She was meant to start at 9. She said she had been up all night being sick. I lost my shit at her :p I was like, um your meant to start in TEN MINUTES, if youve been up all night being sick, why couldnt you have called me earlier? She was like, oh i didnt think about it (riiiiiiiiiight, when your meant to start in 10mins, and you live 30mins away....) i told her that she wasnt being paid for it unless she could provide me with a medical certificate. She hung up one me :p
I love a good workers comp kid who calls in sick :p
In fact, workers comp is the best thing ever. Even though I have full medical clearance, our managers are being extremely overcautious about the matter. I got in trouble for serving one customer on an odd numbered main (I'm only allowed on even numbered mains for 15 minutes at a time, and no more than twice in one day - at the orders of my CSM/SSM).

In all seriousness though, ten minutes is pretty poor though.

Last edited:

Mannequin25

HSC
I love a good workers comp kid who calls in sick :p
In fact, workers comp is the best thing ever. Even though I have full medical clearance, our managers are being extremely overcautious about the matter. I got in trouble for serving one customer on an odd numbered main (I'm only allowed on even numbered mains for 15 minutes at a time, and no more than twice in one day - at the orders of my CSM/SSM).

In all seriousness though, ten minutes is pretty poor though.

our bosses are like that too, really overcautious. We have a few workers comp people in service actually, all of them are really good tho and are genuine. This girl isnt, she was they most laziest operator before she hurt herself, and now its like shes playing it for all its worth.

On the first day our 2IC came back from holidays, our CSM was away and it was just me and the 2ic. This girl had been allowed to now spend 30mins a day on a large lane(she had previously been doing 15mins), which she had been doing the whole time the 2IC was away. I was on my lunch break when she was put on a large lane. She told the 2IC that she was still only allowed out there for 15mins. When i came back i said that she had been doing 30mins for the past 3 weeks.....she said she had "forgotton" she was allowed out for 30mins......

She doesnt get disignated a register, she just jumps on whatever express lane is free, she goes up to Reg1 where no one can see her, and doesnt bother calling for customer. She said to me if customers dont see she doesnt have anyone, its not her fault.

I feel like hitting my head against a brick wall everytime i have to talk to her. It was prob a blessing she wasnt there today, i wasnt in a good mood, even before that lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)