The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

Mannequin25

HSC
*sigh* have to start work at 5am tomorrow to be part of the store evacuation for my Cert III :( worst part is i dont get paid for it :(

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Got a question if anyone knows the answer. What's woolworths policy on doing payouts for unused holiday time? I've been working there for 2 years and have barely used any holiday time. I've got like 250 hours built up and probably won't ever be using it all. I'm thinking about asking my manager if i can just get paid out for it.

Will woolworths do a lump-sum payment for unused holiday time? or will they only do that when you leave and have unused time left over?
I got mine paid out when I left, but I wouldn't rule it out actually. 250 hrs is a lot and it's an expense HR could do without. Think of it this way though, if you stay with the company, every pay rise you get your lump sum gets higher. So keep it if you don't need the cash I say.

bdude

HSC
Got a question if anyone knows the answer. What's woolworths policy on doing payouts for unused holiday time? I've been working there for 2 years and have barely used any holiday time. I've got like 250 hours built up and probably won't ever be using it all. I'm thinking about asking my manager if i can just get paid out for it.

Will woolworths do a lump-sum payment for unused holiday time? or will they only do that when you leave and have unused time left over?
I'm surprised they haven't tried to coerce you into taking some of it.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
lol, I wish I had that problem - As of next week I'm back to 0 annual leave accrued. (well actually I might not be, neither my CSM or SSM will sign my leave forms, despite the fact that its been sat there for six weeks).
Aw 0 hours sounds icky :(
I have >200... not sure the exact number, though. And I'm like never going to be able to take holidays EVER at this rate! Haha.

Yeah I've heard of this happening before. I wissssssh they'd let me lol.

Harry778

HSC
Name badge came in yesterday and it says HARRY instead of HARRISON hahah. When we had the old ones its said Harry, but when we got the new ones it was my whole name. They did that to everyone. Like Rebeca and Victoria (old ones said Bec and Tori) idiots...

bensneddon

HSC
Name badge came in yesterday and it says HARRY instead of HARRISON hahah. When we had the old ones its said Harry, but when we got the new ones it was my whole name. They did that to everyone. Like Rebeca and Victoria (old ones said Bec and Tori) idiots...
Do you have one of the new Total Image badges? Jealous!!!

HSC
Aw 0 hours sounds icky :(
I have >200... not sure the exact number, though. And I'm like never going to be able to take holidays EVER at this rate! Haha..
I lie - I will have half an hour left. Wonder if they will let me trade that in for $6.30? :p

Our NF Captain just got told to take 10 weeks. She will still have stacks left.

HSC
How the hell do people end up with 100 and 200 hours leave accrued? Am I the only person who takes time off whenever they feel like it for whatever reason, haha. I can forsee that whenever I get to 10 hours it will be gone instantly.

Thank fuck my exam timetable is awesome this semester, and I don't need to take time off (last semester was pretty horrible).

Last week I got told if I wanted sick leave of any kind I needed a medical certificate, but I have a feeling that was just my CSM not believing that I had a legitimate reason for taking sick leave instead of annual leave.

HSC
Well until she got told off for it in late 2008, my old CSM used to let me take single days off (for exams and stuff) without pay- she just deleted the shift. I liked this because I preferred not to take my leave when it was worth $6 & $8 an hour. Other than that, I only take annual leave when I'm going on holiday, or for things I can't miss like Graduation and exams (nowadays).

I guess I just accepted that I go to work on the days I do, it was ingrained into my life. I have always been parttime though. Which makes it even more unusual that I just don't want to go anymore. Maybe my Woolies time really is up.
I'm a bit the same, I figure I don't desperately need the money so as long as I get the time off I'm good. But on the other hand if the hours are there to be used, then I'm going to use them. Its only taken 8 weeks to be able to have enough hours to get one week off right :p

For me though, my roster is completely ridiculous. I don't consider myself to be part time, I'm a casual who is special enough to get annual leave. And seriously, thats how I get rostered. I never know what my shifts are going to be, except that I don't work Tuesdays, have to work close on Thursdays and a minimum of 6.5 hours on Saturdays. Last week, 35 hours, this week, 14.5 (except only 10.5 coz I called in sick yesterday). So me taking annual leave next week to do a zillion assignments is my way of telling woolies to back off for 10 days and leave me alone (except I have a feeling that they won't).

MMacka

HSC
N/A
My STM told me that if I needed time off for uni stuff he would let me use my sick leave up (without a medical certificate), just not to go around telling everyone in the store when I do it. If I don't have enough sick leave then I can just take unpaid leave without needing to use up annual leave. He also said I could take study leave around exams but I had to give them enough notice. But I am not sure how its going to work when he moves stores. :(

Also when budgets really bad they get some people to have arranged 'sick days' and not replace the person that is sick. Apparently it comes out of a different budget.

ytrbut

HSC
Also when budgets really bad they get some people to have arranged 'sick days' and not replace the person that is sick. Apparently it comes out of a different budget.
Or people "go home sick", yet don't actually go home. I've pulled that one on a few occasions. Provided you don't scan out, the office never know. Plus, I can't see me ever using my 200ish hours sick leave otherwise, so if it's the only way I can hit wages when running a department for a fortnight, I really don't mind. I'd far prefer to do that, compared to deleting peoples shifts (which both robs the rostered person of money, plus puts extra strain on the employees who have to work one person short).

Last edited:
HSC
Obviously in uni (and previously, school) holidays I work more, but this just gets tacked on. I would hate to have a contract which didn't accurately reflect my work hours, just because I like to know when I am working, and I am accustomed to it. Is that a common practice for your store to have bare bones contracts?
Its extremely commonplace in my department. Everyone who recently got made part time has a 10 hour per week roster (I got mine upped from 10 to, wait for it 10.5 - aren't I amazing). They reckon that there aren't extra hours, but I know there are. For instance, someone HAS to be in smokeshop on wednesdays between 2 and 6.30, I asked for this shift to be added in when I initially went part time, but got told its not neccessary. Yet every week, a different casual/part timer gets this shift added in. Also, why can't I have an earlier start on a saturday - its not like they don't need anyone to start at 9 or 10am compared with 12-12.30pm.
I don't want to make too big a deal of it at the moment though because I don't want to get stuck with Monday morning tickets. I have gotten out of it the last three weeks thanks to either my CSM or my brilliant deception, and I'm quite happy with myself.

MMacka, those arranged sick days sound awesome! I wish our store did that.
You know what the sad thing is? MMacka and I work in the same store and there is no way my departments would ever let me do that. Unfortunately my SSM expects me to believe that he and woolworths are my whole lives.

HSC
I lost all my sick leave when I broke my foot, and any that I have gained since then I have used when I have migraines :(

BUT, I have like 5 hrs of Annual Leave... WOOO!!!

HSC and various others ate at it :(
lol, nice work.
How long does it take to accrue four hours of sick leave? If my legs are still cramping on Thursday I'm totally calling in sick while I get them amputated :mad1:

MMacka

HSC
N/A
Its extremely commonplace in my department. Everyone who recently got made part time has a 10 hour per week roster (I got mine upped from 10 to, wait for it 10.5 - aren't I amazing). They reckon that there aren't extra hours, but I know there are. For instance, someone HAS to be in smokeshop on wednesdays between 2 and 6.30, I asked for this shift to be added in when I initially went part time, but got told its not neccessary. Yet every week, a different casual/part timer gets this shift added in. Also, why can't I have an earlier start on a saturday - its not like they don't need anyone to start at 9 or 10am compared with 12-12.30pm.
I don't want to make too big a deal of it at the moment though because I don't want to get stuck with Monday morning tickets. I have gotten out of it the last three weeks thanks to either my CSM or my brilliant deception, and I'm quite happy with myself.

You know what the sad thing is? MMacka and I work in the same store and there is no way my departments would ever let me do that. Unfortunately my SSM expects me to believe that he and woolworths are my whole lives.
Haha I have a story about that SSM.
So he asked me if I could stay back for longlife/nightfill on Monday night, I told him yes so long as he paid me overtime. He was like "erm nah I will just pay you your normal rate and you can just sign an addition adjustment", then I told him I was part-time and if I worked over my contracted hours its overtime rates not normal rates and I wouldn't sign the addition adjustment. He was so pissed and told me that he was never going to give me any extra shifts again.

HSC
Why don't you have "uni on Monday mornings"? It's what one of the old ticket girls at my store did. Of course, it only works during semester, but usually the hope is they find a new ticket person (victim) in the meantime. A lot of people don't like working Saturday afternoons at my store for some reason, they all mysteriously have sporting commitments. For some reason none of the powers that be twig that sporting seasons stop at some point.
I do "have uni on monday mornings". Till 11am ;)

Except my CSM is usually pretty good with putting me on Wednesdays, so I can't do Mondays, so I don't have to pull that excuse out of the bag very often. I have no issue with doing 6am starts for tickets, but 5am is a WHOLE lot different.

When I very first started putting tickets up it was done from 4-7 on a Sunday (when we were closed of course) because it was cheaper to pay two 15 year olds sunday rates than to have adult rate people on Mondays (someone was always there from produce so we may as well be there too). Then I got 7am Mondays, then 6am, now 5am is a bit ridiculous.

Haha I have a story about that SSM.

So he asked me if I could stay back for longlife/nightfill on Monday night, I told him yes so long as he paid me overtime. He was like "erm nah I will just pay you your normal rate and you can just sign an addition adjustment", then I told him I was part-time and if I worked over my contracted hours its overtime rates not normal rates and I wouldn't sign the addition adjustment. He was so pissed and told me that he was never going to give me any extra shifts again.
When I called in sick yesterday he said he was going to bring some chillis around and drive me to work himself. I got a bit freaked out.
WTF does chilli have to do with anything?

ytrbut

HSC
I don't think we have any PPT or casuals on contracts...everyone's hours is flexed to the maximum. Mine can start on the roster at anywhere from 15ish to 30ish (or when I'm doing department manager or 2IC relief, 40), and finish on Sunday night anywhere from 20ish to 50ish. A bit of variety helps to keep work interesting - no week is ever the same.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
my contract is 20 hrs 1 week, 1 hrs another week.

currently, I've been working ~30-38hrs each week for 5 months or so. (some weeks i didn't do that many shifts .. but rarely tht was the case)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)