The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

NNS7

HSC
N/A
How much time do I have to allow my Manager to find a replacement, if I intend on cancelling my shift? I'm rostered on to work Wednesday night, however something has popped up at school of which I need to attend. Would ringing them this afternoon be acceptable? Or is it too late?

I can do the shift if worst comes to worst, I'd just like the night off to attend the info sesh. Thanks.
If your casual then you just need to let them know ASAP. 1 to 2 days in advance is usually not an issue, plenty of time to find a replacement, 3hrs before however is....

bensneddon

HSC
Anyone know the pay rate for a full time at grade 5?
Grade 5 Weekly Rates at current time:

SA/NT $743.12
WA $787.35
WA Extended Trade $801.18
Tasmania Meat (employees who elect to forgo penalties/loadings) $840.51
Tasmania Meat $816.83
NSW/ACT $827.33
QLD $826.12

Note: there is no Grade 5 classification in Tasmania or Victoria

brookie94

HSC
Nah, Woolies.

I'm kind of worried, because my shift starts within less than 48 hours. I have, however, had shifts cancelled on me at short notice, so I guess it goes both ways.

You with Big W? What's it like?
well technically you can call in 2 hours before and they cant do anything about it because your a casual.. BUT if you tell them as soon as you find out you cant do the shift they will be much more kind..
just for future reference.. haha.

in other news, i had a coles group interview last week, oh lord i have never heard woolies bagged out so much and so subtly.. "our smaller competitor" HAHA quite uncormfortable introducing yourself as a former employee of woolies at a coles interview..

rhan90

HSC
Thanks for the welcome guys :)

I just thought I'd mention that they brought up conflict of interest in the induction session last night. I haven't had to sign the booklet yet (which would mean that there is no conflict of interest declared) but the lady taking the session said it wouldn't be a big deal for me, as I'm not a manager or anything. She did say she'd be very annoyed if it conflicted with my work at Woolies though, which I am 99% sure it will not. She didn't really say if I need to fill in a declaration form, I got the feeling that I am supposed to, but its a really minor thing for someone like me. I'll ask for clarification on thursday night when I expect them to ask us to sign the booklet. I'm glad I went in prepared knowing of this though, thanks to you guys :)

Also, first 'on-the-job' training shift is next Thursday the 15th. Any tips? What to bring/not to bring? Should I assume that I won't have a locker and therefore avoid taking valuables? I'll be a service cashier, btw. Hopefully they'll tell me more about it before I go there.

rhan90

HSC
I never use a locker, no one steals.

Bring water and a good outfit.
Oooh water is a good one. I forgot that regies can have water with them :)

I have my work shirt, so that's no issue. They just handed them out in the first induction.

Hmm, I think I'll bring a lock/key just in case, but I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my stuff unsecured if there was another alternative. Might have to ask the cash office to mind it or something... It's just I have a pretty expensive mobile, and I'll need to have my purse or even just drivers license + keys with me at the very least. Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud now.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
You will not get a locker during induction or training phases. You will only be given a locker once you start at your store, and these are not 'padlock' lockers, you are given a key.
Your bag will be in the training room, not much you can do about that. There might not even be a person in the cash office to mind anything.

Cheers

BSammy

HSC
We had a problem with people stealing at my old store. As in staff, from bags and lockers.

But that won't be a problem on induction. It probably won't be a problem at all, just don't think "well, it's only my workmates, I can trust them". Get a locker, when you can, just to be safe.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
We had a problem with people stealing at my old store. As in staff, from bags and lockers.

But that won't be a problem on induction. It probably won't be a problem at all, just don't think "well, it's only my workmates, I can trust them". Get a locker, when you can, just to be safe.
Gosh.

At my store you can pretty much leave anything lying around without fear.

I generally bring my school bag, laptop, phone, wallet and other goods and leave them on the ground besides the locker (It is obvious what is there) and no one takes it.

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
Gosh.

At my store you can pretty much leave anything lying around without fear.

I generally bring my school bag, laptop, phone, wallet and other goods and leave them on the ground besides the locker (It is obvious what is there) and no one takes it.
Well...i suppose it depends what your store is like. In my store, we trust that staff aren't going to steal from each other, but occasionally mobile phones and other items have gone missing. I always keep personal belongings (phone, wallet without cash) like that in my pockets.

We did have a guy enter the staff area of our store a couple of nights ago. The police were called, but all that was stolen was a set of car keys. Still, I wouldn't leave things lying around.

BSammy

HSC
Yeah, you're not allowed to have your phone on you. That doesn't stop most people however.

nanakid12

HSC
If, for whatever reason, they don't/can't give you a locker on your first day, or if you ever forget your key (and they cant give you your spare), I'm pretty sure you can just have the supervisor lock your shit in the drawer at the service desk. I've had to do it before.

Our store is very strict about having phones/money on you. In all my three years working with woolies, I've only ever seen one person with an ipod when they were out chopping up the produce... they no longer work for us (this was aaaagges ago though).

I can't wait til the week after next- three closing nights of supervision. Woot woot =D
I'm pretty sure i'm the only one that seems to always spot check the registers twice cause i'm speeding away too fast and they're 500 dollars out... and then I have to do them again, when there all fine and I get out late. Our stores not that big though so its all good... :)

philboy

HSC
Hi everyone. Does anyone know whether the health and beauty aisle refit is a once off event or is it the beginning of a complete 2015 refurbishment? I am a SCO attendent as well as service cashier, are the new Sco machines better than the original machines. We are quite a busy store and are in the top 5 busiest supermarkets in sa, therefore I am curious as to whether we are more likely to get the refit sooner or do they have to close our store down again?

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Hi everyone. Does anyone know whether the health and beauty aisle refit is a once off event or is it the beginning of a complete 2015 refurbishment? I am a SCO attendent as well as service cashier, are the new Sco machines better than the original machines. We are quite a busy store and are in the top 5 busiest supermarkets in sa, therefore I am curious as to whether we are more likely to get the refit sooner or do they have to close our store down again?
All stores will be getting the health and beauty refurb regardless. Also, what "new sco machines?"

Jolyon

HSC
All stores will be getting the health and beauty refurb regardless. Also, what "new sco machines?"
I am guessing the new flashier looking ones? We upgraded ours about 4 months ago. They are much easier to use and customers get so much less confused on them.

nanakid12

HSC
These new health and beauty ones are great! They are half-done in our store at the moment though - the refit team came in last night and started on them, and they're working on them again tonight. They're also upgrading the natural foods aisle too i think?
But so far it looks amazing.

So crowded though. Suprised the customers could fit through the trolleys of stock at the front.

and woo something to be proud of - i'm on the all yours website!!! haha

Last edited:

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
Wish our store would get a refit. It desperately needs it! We got the new Health & Beauty area,but thats it and the rest of the store looks so old compared to that! We also need the new Self Serve Machines desperately! Our machines are starting to break (physically) and also the software definitely needs changing,as they are breaking down WAY to often.

ekul444,can you describe the "SC10" stuff? How different is it?

afrojack242

HSC
Hi everyone, I had a short stint at Woolworths last year while doing year 12 approximately 6 weeks, unfortunately i had to give it up as i was put into a position i didn't apply for which was part time and double the hours and affected my studies. Now I'm applying at a different store to the one i was previously employed at and was wondering would Woolworths re hire me, i gave notice and performed my duties as required for my last week.

Thanks in advance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)