The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

nanakid12

HSC
Hahaha that'd be nice

EDIT to save on too many posts: When did everybody else start?

Last edited:

BSammy

HSC
I was in a coles the other day, heard them say "priority one" too, anyone know who started first?

I've been with the company 6 years and 1 month. 3 different stores now, 2 in tas, 1 in melbourne.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I was in a coles the other day, heard them say "priority one" too, anyone know who started first?

I've been with the company 6 years and 1 month. 3 different stores now, 2 in tas, 1 in melbourne.
My store always uses Priority one.

britto89

HSC
I called an Express Alert to liquor the other day when it was just me in there and it got crazy busy. I had the store manager serving next to me for a good 5-10mins. I was looking up all the beer for her and she'd just handle the stuff with barcodes and the payment.

nanakid12

HSC
Is the store manager a last-resort sort of person to call for serving, and are they able to serve on a big register? Or is the service supervisor supposed to open on the big register, and then the store manager takes over as supervisor (if it gets extremely busy)?

Our store manager is good like that; he likes to visit all the departments several times a day to see what is happening, and is always so strict about supervisors keeping queues down, and opening checkouts. He will even serve a few times a day on express and smokeshop when the supervisor is busy spotting tills, or whatever. He's pretty good at what he does ;)

also, @brito shouldnt it have a been a priority 1 call not express alert? lol :p

Last edited:

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
I was in a woolies today and i heard this new thing called a priority one...i was like wtf is that? so i asked my brother cos he works at woolies now too, cant believe they replaced express alert with priority one! Good old express alerts no longer exist
I still call it an "express alert". Was there a MEMO about this change? I think its been priority one at Coles now for many years.

To be honest, it feels like Woolworths has dropped the ball in regards to competition. Their copying/matching Coles rather than offering an alternative. The current campaigns are stale and much the same I.e. Down, down...Prices are staying down vs Price knockdown, and we're matching Coles' price cuts like $2 Milk instead of having our own. How do others feel about this?

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Our store is still express alert, never even heard of a priority one in Woolworths, thought that was Coles only.
Also, it's against company policy to supervise if you're under 18. If head office finds out you and your managers could be in serious trouble, so be careful..

bensneddon

HSC
When did everybody else start?
I have been with the company for 6 years and 3 months.

Coles used the term first.

Is the store manager a last-resort sort of person to call for serving, and are they able to serve on a big register? Or is the service supervisor supposed to open on the big register, and then the store manager takes over as supervisor (if it gets extremely busy)?
The store manager (or duty manager) should be the first person who is called for a Priority One. The reasoning behind this is that the store/duty manager has 'ownership' of customer service in the store at the time.

The CSTM/Duty CSM shouldn't be on register at any point, as their job is to 'manage' customer service. In theory, all store staff (except staff in other service departments) should be trained in register operation, so there should be plenty of staff who can assist.

The CSTM and the Store Manager should review periods in which Priority One's are called, and determine the reasoning for it.

All stores which trade in excess of $1m need to have all registers open throughout a core trading period determined by the Regional Manager and the GM Supermarket Operations.

Also, it's against company policy to supervise if you're under 18. If head office finds out you and your managers could be in serious trouble, so be careful..
Haven't heard this before. Not sure which policy this is in, but I certainly haven't read it... having said that, I believe in some states you need to be 18 to sell tobacco products, so I guess it wouldn't make much sense having a CSM/Service Supervisor who can't serve in the smoke shop in those states.

I was a Duty CSTM at 16.

Last edited:

Jolyon

HSC
I still call it an "express alert". Was there a MEMO about this change? I think its been priority one at Coles now for many years.

To be honest, it feels like Woolworths has dropped the ball in regards to competition. Their copying/matching Coles rather than offering an alternative. The current campaigns are stale and much the same I.e. Down, down...Prices are staying down vs Price knockdown, and we're matching Coles' price cuts like $2 Milk instead of having our own. How do others feel about this?
Yeah a memo went to all the stores cause they wanted unity. We are suppose to all call it Priority One

nanakid12

HSC
Our store is still express alert, never even heard of a priority one in Woolworths, thought that was Coles only.
Without meaning to be rude, might I ask which document this policy is in, or where it was written? Cause my store has had 3 or 4 supervisors under 18 since we opened, and have had a number of relief bosses who have never said anything about it.

Last edited:

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Without meaning to be rude, might I ask which document this policy is in, or where it was written? Cause my store has had 3 or 4 supervisors under 18 since we opened in 2007, and have had a number of relief bosses who have never said anything about it.
You'll have to call head office, that's what I did. The two reasons for this are:

1. The supervisor must be 18 in order to go into Liquor to serve, count, etc
  2. The supervisor must be 18 as there is a 'mature age requirement'
The 2nd one is absolute bullshit if you ask me. That second point basically states that, a 17 year old is not mature but when they turn 18 tomorrow, they are.... But hey, they make the rules I guess.

Last edited:

Jolyon

HSC
You'll have to call head office, that's what I did.
We had a supervisor under 18 and our new Store Manager really let my CSM have it about it. He said it was against company policy and it does make sense. They cannot serve in liquor or smoke shop and that is where most of our refunds get taken

Last edited:

b3kh1t

HSC
lol at Woolworths, I work at Coles and I like it a lot more the Woolies =P

Last edited:

nanakid12

HSC
The first one doesn't apply to me because Queensland law prohibits liquor from being sold in a supermarket, so yeah - obviously no store in Queensland can have a liquor deparment. Also, the law does allow under 18s to serve on smokeshop, and on normal registers, so this is all good.

Second bit I don't see the point of. So long as everything is managed correctly, I don't see why there is a problem with it. But no onein our store has ever heard of this law, and they always have at least one supervisor is under 18 for one night of the week.

But srely if they care so much about it, it would be enforced better? Over the years any relief managers we've had, or area managers have said nothing of this? Maybe your CSM is just extremely careful and by the books about that sort of thing?

Last edited:

john-91

HSC
I miss express alert, its way better than "priority one", I hate saying it over the PA

I've been a supervisor for just about 2 years now, its been pretty cool experience. Worst part is when all but 4 operators call in sick on a saturday and sunday, and no one responds to a priority one when the que's are into the isles >.<

does anyone else get old people come charging up to them in self serve and demand we serve them on there?

bensneddon

HSC
The supervisor must be 18 as there is a 'mature age requirement'
I think this is more likely to be the opinion of a particular group of managers, rather than company policy.

I can understand that it doesn't make sense to make someone who is under 18 a supervisor at a store where they would be required to do work in the liquor store, or cannot sell cigarettes due to legislative requirements.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)