The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

4me123

HSC
Read that. +1 for a store list. All I want to know is if my store (4382) is finally going to get a makeover!

Also, expressed my interest to my CSM about being trained up as a supervisor...Hope it happens!
My store hasn't had a proper make over since the early 2000's. it has no self serve checkouts, still has single lane checkouts , the floors are shit. customers keep complaining about it. all the checkouts and other equipment in the store is breaking down. is your store like this too?

hopefully you get the supervisor position

nalim

HSC
I don't know if this belongs here but anyway...
I completed an interview with the store manager for a Christmas casual position at Big W last Thursday (for some unknown reason I didn't have to attend a group interview). The store manager said I would receive a call 1 week later but I haven't received any call. Should I just wait or contact HR?
I've also been offered an interview for 2 Woolworths stores but I've been told I cannot attend until I find out whether I've been successful with the Big W interview. I would prefer to work at Woolworths since travel would be easier and I think the position isn't just over the Christmas period. Regarding shifts is there more flexibility at Woolworths than Big W?

hahahayley

HSC
Contacting HR won't hurt.

Has anyone else's store strongly "suggested" that they are to attend work on Oct 31st in costume to celebrate Halloween? Our staff area is plastered in posters telling us we are to attend work dressed up and that there will be some best dressed competition.

the way to go

HSC
nah, my store is more of the 'ring everyone the evening before, after other stores are closed, so nobody can really make a effort, then complain that nobody made an effort' place :)

oh and i would totally talk to my SM but with the shit-crazy rules hes been coming up with lately, hes clearly on their side.

but oh well, i dont plan on sticking around for much longer anymore :\

BSammy

HSC
Rah! just finished a 38 hour week, 5am start on wednesday, then the next four days finished at midnight, or 1:30am, bit exhausted now :p

britto89

HSC
So did we all survive the long weekend and footy finals? My store was crazy busy on the Saturday, absolutly flat out. At one stage myself and the 2IC were serving in the deli and the office girl was on express.

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
Today was really quiet for our first Public Holiday trading in WA. I served 30 people betwen 2 and 5 (yes..I was that bored I was counting!) :(

vanessaslam

HSC
I had my store induction at Big W exactly a week ago (and have worked 3 shifts since) and I've already received my payslip number, registered on AllYours etc. Do you think I'll get paid tomorrow or will I have to wait another week or so?

Last edited:

britto89

HSC
I had my store induction at Big W exactly a week ago (and have worked 3 shifts since) and I've already received my payslip number, registered on AllYours etc. Do you think I'll get paid tomorrow or will I have to wait another week or so?
Pretty sure you will get paid. Once you get your payslip you will be able to register for e-payslips which makes life easier.

k123456

HSC
i'm just wondering if someone can shed some light on my current situation:

i have been working for woolworths in frontend for almost 2 years. have been 3IC for about 8 months, my manager is leaving in a few weeks and the 2IC is being promoted to manager, will i be considered for the 2IC position? Or will they bring someone else in? i really want this position as i've been working so hard for it, but i'm afraid they will think i don't have enough experience and am too young..(i'm only 20)

Garygaz

HSC
mate,

general life tip; if you want the promotion let it be known. just go up to your manager and be honest, tell them you know that the position is going to become vacant and that you believe you are qualified for the position and that you have been working really hard. the fact that you are showing some form of ambition and responsibility is always a plus, if done well.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Quick question about part time and wages.
I'm contracted for say (example 10 hours), if I do 25 hours every week, am I supposed to get casual rates for those extra 15 hours or at least get the annual leave for those 15 hours? Currently I get PPT rate with no extra annual leave (only 10 hours annual leave per week regardless of amount of hours I do)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm contracted for say (example 10 hours), if I do 25 hours every week, am I supposed to get casual rates for those extra 15 hours or at least get the annual leave for those 15 hours? Currently I get PPT rate with no extra annual leave (only 10 hours annual leave per week regardless of amount of hours I do)
You should be getting annual leave

Clank_

HSC
but oh well, i dont plan on sticking around for much longer anymore :\
Same, had my Coles induction today. Will be quitting Woolies once the rosters are sorted at Coles.

i'm just wondering if someone can shed some light on my current situation:

i have been working for woolworths in frontend for almost 2 years. have been 3IC for about 8 months, my manager is leaving in a few weeks and the 2IC is being promoted to manager, will i be considered for the 2IC position? Or will they bring someone else in? i really want this position as i've been working so hard for it, but i'm afraid they will think i don't have enough experience and am too young..(i'm only 20)
There's a fair chance but you're better off asking the DM and putting your name forward to be sure.

nanakid12

HSC
I'm contracted for 10 hours a week, but pretty much do like 22 hours, I've saved up 80 hours of annual leave. I don't know whether its policy or not, but unless that part in the agreement factors... The Clause that states they can't suddenly reduce your rostered hours to your base contract if you've been doing a higher average amount for the past six months.

Out of courtesy my ASM offered me to have 22 hours of pay for my holidays last week instead of my contracted 10.

sorry if some of this doesn't make sense, I hate typing off my phone

Last edited:

BSammy

HSC
What should be happening is you get a pro-rata amount of annual leave added to your accumulated amount.
A full timer would get 2.92 hours added to their accrued annual leave each week, and if you only did ten hours a week you would get about 0.77 added each week.
For a 25 hour week you should have 1.92 hours of annual added to your accrued annual leave each week.

Is this what you mean? or do you mean when you're on holidays, how much they pay you each week?
If that's what you mean, they only need to pay you your contracted amount (plus leave loadings) but i have , and i'm sure others have, negotiated higher amounts if they regularly do more hours.

vanessaslam

HSC
Is ~$11.20 the normal hourly rate for a 16 year old? All of my managers at Big W told me that I would get around $16-$17 hour, but I'm just thinking that this might be my training/probationary rate or maybe the new agreement hasn't been put in place yet.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
No worries, thanks guys..

Is ~$11.20 the normal hourly rate for a 16 year old? All of my managers at Big W told me that I would get around $16-$17 hour, but I'm just thinking that this might be my training/probationary rate or maybe the new agreement hasn't been put in place yet.
Haha not quite. I'm 18 and still don't even get that (part time).

vanessaslam

HSC
Well in that case I think all of my managers are either grossly misinformed or just bullshit artists. Thanks anyway!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)