The world is coming to an end (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RohanZ

Pan fried Steak
HSC
Holy fuck. I read through some of this thread and stumbled upon several posts by ubernuton. I have never lol'd so fucking much in one thread.

ubernuton

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Oh noes. Let's all become peak oil doomers and begin planning our bizarre vision of a neo-agrarian society.
are u trying to make it look like we ain't gona hit peak oil
because its a well know fact that there is a limated amount of oil
and at the moment we don't know how to live without it

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
peak oil is all speculations. thats all it is. the fucking IRAQ war fucked us all up. c'mon, people, think with your head. read a fucking book. the oil is monopolized by 7 major anglo american oil tradeing comapnies which are located in NYC and london.

and the beuaty about this monopoly is that all 7 companies have agreed not to compete with each other to lower the cost to consumers but simply increase prices of oil.

oil was $25 a gallon in 2003. today it is $140. someone with half a thick brain and basic study of geopolitics and economics will tell you that this price hike is not due to that basic suppy/demand theory.

there is no peak OIL AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME. they want us to think its peak oil so the major oil companies can use it as an excuse for their prices.

Last edited:

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
but rising petrol prices :(
rising petrol prices are not justified
facts of the soaring stocks for the 7 Anglo-American oil corporations that have massively profiteered from the war.
Corporations don't give a rats ass about their own population. they lobbied for war.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
The peak may not occur in the way peak oil theorists suggest. There are many sources of oil that become more profitable as prices rise. It may be oil declines, then rises again. Taking peaks that occur for individuals oil fields an then assuming this applies to the whole world is pretty foolish.

We couldn't live without oil now, which is the flawed assumption peak oil doomers like to exaggerate. We can slowly make a transition away from oil which will naturally occur as prices rise. There may be a fall an economic growth or even some negative economic growth. I do not believe there will mass starvation, huge die offs, a great depression ect. Mainly because oil can slowly be replaced with various alternatives, and our consumption of energy for many things like transport can in the long term be massively
produced before we have to start starving.
all your arguments are addressed on the website www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net

peak oil is a very real phenomenon and it's pretty much the reason for everything the way it is now...high petrol prices, high food prices in Egypt leading to riots, war in iraq, increasing grocery prices right here in Australia...and this is just the beginning

i don't think you realise how utterly dependent we as a society are on oil...it affects us more deeply than just having to ditch the car and catch public transport into uni. Our society has been dependent on oil in manufacture whether it be directly through petromicals and fertilizers or indectly through cheap and reliable energy. Then there's the transportation required to get those goods to the consumers.

I've talked with alot of people and the majority are so confident we can somehow miraculously come up with a cheap and sustainable energy source, and that'll be the end of our woes...you tell me who's exaggerating?

If you have a spare hour I'd really recommend you go to the site, it's really well written, detailed and it'll open your eyes up to a lot of things that the government has been trying to hide from the public for far too long.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
We are nowhere near peak oil, OPEC is causing all of our problems.
I think it's mainly just speculators.

bigboyjames said:
facts of the soaring stocks for the 7 Anglo-American oil corporations that have massively profiteered from the war.
If you look at the % of profit to revenue in the big oil companies it's really quite in line with the sort of profits that other businesses make.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
inasero said:
all your arguments are addressed on the website www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net

peak oil is a very real phenomenon and it's pretty much the reason for everything the way it is now...high petrol prices, high food prices in Egypt leading to riots, war in iraq, increasing grocery prices right here in Australia...and this is just the beginning

i don't think you realise how utterly dependent we as a society are on oil...it affects us more deeply than just having to ditch the car and catch public transport into uni. Our society has been dependent on oil in manufacture whether it be directly through petromicals and fertilizers or indectly through cheap and reliable energy. Then there's the transportation required to get those goods to the consumers.

I've talked with alot of people and the majority are so confident we can somehow miraculously come up with a cheap and sustainable energy source, and that'll be the end of our woes...you tell me who's exaggerating?

If you have a spare hour I'd really recommend you go to the site, it's really well written, detailed and it'll open your eyes up to a lot of things that the government has been trying to hide from the public for far too long.
It's behind the times...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_shale_economics

I'm optimistic at the moment that we'll get oil shale production up and going and it'll put a price cap on oil sometime in the near future, this should avert the oil crisis.

So you're going to discount the # of refineries, the speculators etc etc ?

Last edited:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
I bet everyone in this thread a pack of ice creams that the price of petrol in 12 months will be less than it is right now.
schroedinger i'll bet you two packs :D you game?
just so you know what you're betting on:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Oil_Prices_Medium_Term.jpg Price variations over the past 4 years
Current price of oil: $137.34 US/barrel (21:49 PM EDT 2008.06.23)

Last edited:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Enteebee said:
It's behind the times...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_shale_economics

I'm optimistic at the moment that we'll get oil shale production up and going and it'll put a price cap on oil sometime in the near future, this should avert the oil crisis.

So you're going to discount the # of refineries, the speculators etc etc ?
"What About the Oil Shale in the American West?"

The huge reserves of oil shale in the American west suffer from similar problems. While Shell Oil has an experimental oil shale program, even Steve Mut - the CEO of their Unconventional Resources Unit - has sounded less than optimistic when questioned about the ability of oil shale to soften the coming crash. According to journalist Stuart Staniford's coverage of a recent conference on Peak Oil:
In response to questions, Steve guesstimated that oil shale production would still be pretty negligible by 2015, but might, if things go really well, get to 5 mbpd by 2030. Source
Disinterested observers are even less optimistic about oil shale. Geologist Dr. Walter Youngquist points out:
The average citizen . . . is led to believe that the United States really has no oil supply problem when oil shales hold "recoverable oil" equal to "more than 64 percent of the world's total proven crude oil reserves." Presumably the United States could tap into this great oil reserve at any time. This is not true at all. All attempts to get this "oil" out of shale have failed economically. Furthermore, the "oil" (and, it is not oil as is crude oil, but this is not stated) may be recoverable but the net energy recovered may not equal the energy used to recover it. If oil is "recovered" but at a net energy loss, the operation is a failure. Source
This means any attempt to replace conventional oil with oil shale will actually make our situation worse as the project will consume more energy than it will produce, regardless of how high the price goes. Plenty of money, however, will likely be thrown at attempts to develop the oil shale as most investors are as energy-illiterate as the general population.

Further problems with oil shale have been documented by economist Professor James Hamilton who writes:
A recent Rand study concluded it will be at least 12 years before oil shale reaches the production growth phase. And that is a technological assessment, not a reference to the environmental review process. If it takes 15 years to get an oil refinery built and approved, despite well known technology and well understood environmental issues, viewing oil shale as something that could make major contributions to world energy supplies in the immediate future seems highly unrealistic. Source
www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net

Last edited:

inasero

Reborn
HSC

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
It's not a conspiracy theory- it's Biblical prophecy and the Bible has been proven to be correct time and time again.
...and wrong - many, many, many, many times...

On what basis? Show me the new studies.
They're linked in the wikipedia article I linked you...

All attempts to get this "oil" out of shale have failed economically.
They failed because the price of oil dropped, it is only economical to use oil shale when there is a high price for oil - like when we start to approach peak oil.

may be recoverable but the net energy recovered may not equal the energy used to recover it. If oil is "recovered" but at a net energy loss, the operation is a failure.
This simply isn't true... Look up the methods they use, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_shale_extraction

edit: there are also a whole heaps of longer-term solutions, it's not dooms day... though it may hit us with some turbulent years.

Last edited:

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
If Bush has attack Iran, expect oil to reach price levels we never imagined possible. A hike in fuel prices, not nukes, would be Iran's biggest defensive weapon against US aggression. All they would have to do is to cause an oil spill in the strait of Hormuz and light it up, and Saudi oil tankers would pretty much be stuck in the gulf. They could do even worse.

Zrap

glock9
HSC
bigboyjames said:
If Bush has attack Iran, expect oil to reach price levels we never imagined possible. A hike in fuel prices, not nukes, would be Iran's biggest defensive weapon against US aggression. All they would have to do is to cause an oil spill in the strait of Hormuz and light it up, and Saudi oil tankers would pretty much be stuck in the gulf. They could do even worse.
:rolleyes:

ubernuton

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
The peak may not occur in the way peak oil theorists suggest. There are many sources of oil that become more profitable as prices rise. It may be oil declines, then rises again. Taking peaks that occur for individuals oil fields an then assuming this applies to the whole world is pretty foolish.

We couldn't live without oil now, which is the flawed assumption peak oil doomers like to exaggerate. We can slowly make a transition away from oil which will naturally occur as prices rise. There may be a fall an economic growth or even some negative economic growth. I do not believe there will mass starvation, huge die offs, a great depression ect. Mainly because oil can slowly be replaced with various alternatives, and our consumption of energy for many things like transport can in the long term be massively produced before we have to start starving.
we will hit peak oil within 10 year we are already dreging oil from the oil sand which use more energy than we get from the oil. we don't have any real alturenative and we don't have the time to bring them into action. when u start staring human of somethingt they "need" they will fight for it and this will lead to us nukeing the planet to bits

ubernuton

HSC
bigboyjames said:
peak oil is all speculations. thats all it is. the fucking IRAQ war fucked us all up. c'mon, people, think with your head. read a fucking book. the oil is monopolized by 7 major anglo american oil tradeing comapnies which are located in NYC and london.

and the beuaty about this monopoly is that all 7 companies have agreed not to compete with each other to lower the cost to consumers but simply increase prices of oil.

oil was $25 a gallon in 2003. today it is $140. someone with half a thick brain and basic study of geopolitics and economics will tell you that this price hike is not due to that basic suppy/demand theory.

there is no peak OIL AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME. they want us to think its peak oil so the major oil companies can use it as an excuse for their prices.
firstly your a fuck idiot that need to learn about bacis measurements i think your talking about barrels. normal i would side with u against the corperations however if u are realy trying to say that we wont hit peak oil ever u are a fucking idiot that doesn't understand anything about the world or fossil fuels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)