Theatre Thread! (1 Viewer)

debts

HSC
N/A
if someone else drags me, then yeah - otherwise i wouldn't go on my accord because i think i'd be consumed by jealousy, more than anything else

anyone aware of where i can do some good quality part-time acting courses, outside of NIDA? taking a 16 month long break from (proper) acting is starting to take its toll :eek:

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Unfortunately, anywhere outside of WAAPA, NIDA, or a university is (in the industry) a waste. NIDA & WAAPA are the two prestigious one's in Australia, and are where you'd get you're contacts, and just name value on a resume. And a university at least gives you additional study areas.

debts

HSC
N/A
getting contacts doesn't really matter to me atm, hence part-time - it's mostly about building my skills back up to a better level. serious NIDA/VCA/WAAPA full-time can come at a later stage when i feel i'm ready. i am doing performance studies this year though, but i feel i need to supplement it more than the 2-3 hours i'd do in a week.

oh and the reason i said out of NIDA is because their part-time auditions have already passed :/

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
There are 1 year courses at places like ACTT in Sydney. They seem to be alright for what you're thinking of, though I haven't really looked to much into them.

Oh, and be careful with VCA. Apparently they don't warn you about your progress very often, so a lot of people end up with fails (in comparison to other academies).

debts

HSC
N/A
had a look today - ACTT part-time courses are all full now, damn. oh well, uni will have to suffice.

still need to make time to see Optimism. (!!!!)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Got tickets to MacHomer, going this weekend.

Still got to organise OnStage though. Also, Spring Awakening is coming up fast. Hoping to get to that one as well.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I was considering it. Though I think I'm working on a show that night.

debts

HSC
N/A
how many shows are you working on absolutezero? you seem to be involved in one constantly :eek:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
One at the moment, doing backstage for a local production of 'How To Succeed In Busines Without Really Trying'.

And finalising my script, ready to produce this year if I get the go ahead.

debts

HSC
N/A
ah nice, are you getting that script off the ground through uni or are you doing it with your own funds?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Hopefully through the uni. Then factor their contribution into the budget. Basically, if we do make a profit, most of it will go to the uni.

It's mainly so I can use their theatre, facilities and equipment; plus, it guarantees an audience.

BlackDragon

HSC
I love theatre and plays in general. I would go to everything all the time if I lived in a major city.. Its a pity I don't.

debts

HSC
N/A
Hopefully through the uni. Then factor their contribution into the budget. Basically, if we do make a profit, most of it will go to the uni.

It's mainly so I can use their theatre, facilities and equipment; plus, it guarantees an audience.
fair enough, do they have to approve it?

i have a friend in uni trying to get her production of Ruby Moon off the ground with her and her friends, theatre hire is already like $5000 for 4-5 days and she's basically conceded that she will lose money, unless she can fill up the theatre every performance, lol.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
fair enough, do they have to approve it?
Yeah, they have to approve it. But the uni is fairly open minded with the types of work that can be put on. It's mainly whether they believe I'm up to the task.

$5000 for 4-5 days
You need the theatre for longer than that. Keep in mind you have to give the actors time to rehearse in the space, as well as time for bump in.

Tell your friend that is she's budgetting in the box office profits, 35% capacity is roughly the figure you use as a starting point.

debts

HSC
N/A
it might actually be longer that, but i'm not entirely sure. at most it'd be a week but the majority of rehearsal will be somewhere else, and they would do a tech and dress; then perform only 3-4 days to mainly school audiences. i'm not sure of specifics.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Make sure the space is thoroughly inspected then for any problems. In such a short time frame, you can't allow for unknowns like: Uneven floors, smaller/bigger space than expected, unmovable built-in equipment.

On average, a small show will usually book for 1-2 weeks. Rigging and plotting lights can easily take two or three days. And rehearsals can't be going on in the space during that time.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Just got back from MacHomer. Good interpretation of the Bard. Ironically, IMO his worst impression was actually Homer. However, most were really good, in particular Flanders, Otto, Smithers and Burns. And his Marge voice was dead-on accurate. Impressive if I do say so.

Encore was the Bohemian Rhapsody skit I mentioned earlier, though revamped from his earlier version. Unexpected for the show, though the audience loved it.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Also, just putting it out there... down at Wollongong next month, there will be performances of '25th Annual Putname Country Spelling Bee' and 'The Last 5 Years'. Anyone who's into modern musicals should definitely check it out.

johony

HSC
oh and yes

i did manage to see optimism the other day, and it didn't quite fufill my expectations; but frank woodley is pretty brilliant in the lead role.

and also for those who are interested:
$10 Theatre - Orestes 2.0 | Facebook

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)