Theatre Thread! (1 Viewer)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Are the details for the Griffin's new season up online yet? I haven't checked.

johony

HSC
Are the details for the Griffin's new season up online yet? I haven't checked.
tomorrow it will be.

also; a heads up - the griffin youth initiative will be running a young playwriting contest mid next year during d-week; details are far from confirmed, but i believe the prize will be a showing of your play with a guest director and obviously some decent actors. but keep in mind we haven't confirmed anything, and probably won't till january, but it's something to get your mouth watering a tad.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
So how many people have theatre course auditions in the next few weeks? From what I've gathered there is quite a few...

johony

HSC
nida thread lol. wednesday. anyone else, pretties?
hopefully SUDS or a few productions here and there might suffice for me next year, nida perhaps - but i'm still not sure.
getting an agent though :) but it'll probably just be mainly extras work

Jeee

Banned
HSC
Riverside theatre is my savior. When there's nothing else to do, Riverside is the best place to watch great indie films or watch drama performances.

jaimebien

HSC
six demon bag, not sure if this reply is too late, but about God of Carnage, no it's not a YAP event, so there won't be pizzas and drinks, etc. You are getting discounted tix through the YAP SMS subscription (Youth Advisory Panel), but we're not organising it.

My exams end on Thursday, so I think I"ll catch the last show of God of Carnage on Saturday!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Just keeping you all updated on the Wollongong Uni plays:

FCA performance presents

Elephant People

19 – 21 November 2009

Written by Daniel Keene
Directed by Mark Rogers (BCA Dean’s Scholar)
Featuring 2nd year FCA Performance students

Season: Thursday 19– Saturday 21 November @ 8pm
Venue:
Performance Space, 25.168, Faculty of Creative Arts UoW
Bookings:
02 4221 4889
Tickets:
$20 full, $12 Conc & $10 FCA

Elephant People is a circus, a carnival sideshow where chaos, perception and the edge of imagination meet. The Elephant Man philosophises with the Liberra Twins. The Dog Boy mauls Josephine Joseph the hermaphrodite. The Bearded Lady serves drinks. These so called freaks confront each other and the audience with questions of their existence, the cruel world and of good taste. Roll up, Roll up.

“[Elephant People] is a project about perception, how we are perceived and how we perceive.” says playwright Daniel Keene “How the notion about how we look determines how we are treated”

Daniel Keene is one of Australia’s foremost playwrights. His writing cuts hard into society’s moral fissures and ethical blindspots, exposing a sparse lyricism in the language of decay, dissent and depravity. Despite having won the Victorian Premier’s Literary Award for Drama twice, the NSW Premier’s Literary Award for Drama twice, the South Australian Literary Award for Drama, the Wal Cherry Play of the Year Award and the Sumner Locke Elliot Prize (New York), Keene’s work is rarely produced in Australia. Only recently has his work been programmed into mainstage seasons; at STC in 2008 and MTC in 2010. However, since 2000 over 75 productions of his work have been presented in Europe, predominately in France (including at the Avignon Festival, the Theatre de la Commune in Paris, the National Theatre of Toulouse and at The Theatre de la Ville in Paris).

Originally written as the libretto for a multimillion dollar production at The National Theatre of Bordeaux in France, Elephant People is now given its Australian premiere in a far seedier fashion. Under the direction of Mark Rogers, second year students use a raw physicality to play out Keene’s highly poetic text in the landscape of the performance poet, the amateur magician and the peepshow. Flashing lights, cheap tricks and the body on display. HA, made you look.

johony

HSC
just to keep the spam going; i won't be at this one personally, because i'll be at schoolies - but if you're interested - and i know you are, the Griffin Youth Initiative will be having their second event on the 28th of November:

Shining City GYI event | Facebook

GYI is offering 30 $10 tickets to this fantastic production of Conor McPherson's 'Shining City' but get in quick, because tickets are sure to go fast!

+++++++

WHAT YOU GET FOR YOUR TICKET:

-Ticket to the show
-1 free drink of your choice
-Pre-show entertainment starting at 6
-Pizza!

jaimebien

HSC
Johony, hell yeah I'm going!

It was "therapist" that got me. I've been into psychotherapy depictions in fiction lately, because of that brilliant HBO show with Gabriel Byrne called In Treatment. Still, I hate it when shows or movies depict therapists in the stereotypical way of just making them a question machine, so...my expectations of the therapist in Shining City are high. (Lol almost wrote Shiny City. As a magpie for shiny shoes, I would totally go to a play called Shiny City as well.)

Last edited:

johony

HSC
[youtube]T4GGuXdYOYs[/youtube]

really enjoying the sinister undertone which has formed the basis of the last couple of griffin shows i've seen.

johony

HSC
Johony, hell yeah I'm going!

It was "therapist" that got me. I've been into psychotherapy depictions in fiction lately, because of that brilliant HBO show with Gabriel Byrne called In Treatment. Still, I hate it when shows or movies depict therapists in the stereotypical way of just making them a question machine, so...my expectations of the therapist in Shining City are high. (Lol almost wrote Shiny City. As a magpie for shiny shoes, I would totally go to a play called Shiny City as well.)
sweet! sorry i won't be able to see you there, but i'll personally guarantee you'll have a great night

six demon bag

HSC
just to keep the spam going; i won't be at this one personally, because i'll be at schoolies - but if you're interested - and i know you are, the Griffin Youth Initiative will be having their second event on the 28th of November:

Shining City GYI event | Facebook
28th is my 18th - already seeing 'Happy Days' at Belvoir that night! That one sounds good though - just facebook'd it.

six demon bag

HSC
six demon bag, not sure if this reply is too late, but about God of Carnage, no it's not a YAP event, so there won't be pizzas and drinks, etc. You are getting discounted tix through the YAP SMS subscription (Youth Advisory Panel), but we're not organising it.

My exams end on Thursday, so I think I"ll catch the last show of God of Carnage on Saturday!
How did it go? Wish I could've seen it!

jaimebien

HSC
Ah I didn't go! I decided to go to Shining City instead, and so had to redirect my theatre funds. (Also, I was picking my mum up from the airport.) Do any of you guys have a theatre allocation as well? If so, what is it?

Going to the YAP planning meeting for 2010 tomorrow. Some points:

-In our SMS group subscription, there hasn't been no response at all to the ticket offers. What gives?

-Griffin Youth Initiative - I'm going to try to push for more collaborations.

-High school students - I will keep drumming this point until the panel realises that we should be focusing our efforts on getting theatre specifically to high school students. Especially if you're not that interested in the arts, this is probably the final phase in your life you'll ever be picking up a play/book.

Any other thoughts that you guys would like me to channel tomorrow?

Also, what do you think of like an open mic day, so to speak. I love that our Facebook group is growing, but to me, it's kinda pointless if we can't reach out to other young people to get their thoughts. It's not enough to me that the youth activities of STC is directed by a small selection of youths; we need to get more input from the community at large.

jaimebien

HSC
Johony, thanks for the trailer...but I think I'll pass on watching it. I love watching movie trailers, but do so infrequently. Is it perverse that I like to know as little about the play/movie/book as possible before I get into it? The bare plot is enough for me.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Is it perverse that I like to know as little about the play/movie/book as possible before I get into it?
Some performances; the more you know, the better. Especially ones dependent on context.

johony

HSC
Johony, thanks for the trailer...but I think I'll pass on watching it. I love watching movie trailers, but do so infrequently. Is it perverse that I like to know as little about the play/movie/book as possible before I get into it? The bare plot is enough for me.
i went in to shining city knowing nothing about the plot, even though i had been sent the script and i had to market the event; it probably was better in hindsight, i was really engaged with the play. btw, what did you think of shining city pristine?

also i need a monologue, two actually. if i had done hsc drama i would have had heaps to work with :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)