Thinking of doing Civil Eng w/ Architecture...Help (1 Viewer)

sharoooooo

HSC
Hello,
Im in yr12 currently and I want to study either Architectural studies or Civil Eng w/ Architecture. Which one is better in terms of content, amount of workload, future job prospect etc?
The subjects Im doing for my HSC are: Eng Adv, Maths 2U + Ext1, Phys, Chem, Bio. What course is more suited for me?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
There's a huge difference.

Are you keen on undertaking Civil Engineering studies? Have you looked at what Civil Engineering is and what it entails?

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
I think Rumbleroar was doing civil eng/architecture, but i don't think she's active anymore.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yea I've looked at it on here http://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/civil-engineering/bachelor-of-engineering-honours-in-civil-engineering-with-architecture-3635 so from what it says, it seems like its architects who can do maths. So they can appreciate the design and be an engineer at the same time, i guess...
*why not have both*? :blink2:
Civil engineers are not just simply architects that can do the maths behind architecture.

There's a lot more to civil engineering than just that. There's also the design and innovation principles of engineering, research, testing, materials, etc. There's also things like mechanics, structural analysis, modelling, water engineering and geotechnics which are to be studied as a civil engineer.

If you do civil /w arch, civil will be the predominant degree of your program. Take a look at the link to the 3635 program structure linked here and compare this with the straight civil and straight architecture programs.

https://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au...-architecture-3635-schedule-1-commencing-2015

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad
If you think civil engineers are architects who can do maths... You're going to be in for a wild ride.

such_such

HSC
Architecture is very subjective. It's one of those subjects where most of the time, the amount of work you do won't reflect your mark. 60% drop out rate from civil/arch to civil in 2nd year according to my friend. The amount of time you spend on arch is crazy. Pure arch is alright because less contact hours, but combine arch with engineering... it's gonna be hell.

Even if you do civil/arch you're not qualified to be an architect. Arch is a course for you if you're HIGHLY creative (plus pretty sure it's hard to find arch jobs compared to civil)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)