Those Magnetic Number Plates (1 Viewer)

Pace_T

HSC
im sure theres SOME space somewhere on the back of ur car to put the magnetic plate... like the bumper, n for the front on the bonnet ive seen many ppl do that, coz where else would u put it on the front of the car...
this new law is going to make people start stealing plates more than ever before. not me tho, ive already been stealing those cheapo plastic plates for a long time :rofl:

taylor427

HSC
- oh and to get back on topic -

YES Magnetic plates do fuck your paint job! ! ! ! !

im a car detailer, and know my car paint [aka "DuCo"]

and the fine layer of dirt on your car when pushed into your paint will scratch it - really small hair thickness scratches, which all stoges will say "aww it doesnt matter-"

but it does, after a couple years these scratches build up and look like shit.

thats why old men like your dad or grandfather or uncle or neighbor or like me actually "Polish" :eek: their pride and joy to hide these scratches.
Polishing does not actually mean buying car wash that you put on with a sponge that says "wash 'n' wax"

so - putting the magnetic platyes on and off pushes all these dirt particles into the top layer of paint and accumulates scratches.

i think - because our main family car is so prized by me and dad, that we polish the shit out of it all the time and even had our project car sprayed with Ferrari paint [not the ferrari in my avatar mind you] - which i dont want to be ruined because of THESE BULLSHIT LAWS. a normal p plate wont fit on becasue the numberplate is set in the boot lid, in a depression in the metal, and slipping a plastic plate ruins the paint.

i probably will not display p plates,

and if you drive half decently,
probably wont get pulled over because we all know the cops will only pull you over if:
1) your speeding or suspicious.
or
2) your a male p plater doing the speed limit.

so if you just look like every other fuker on the road, and drive the speed of everyone else - there not going to pull you over . . . right?

Last edited:

taylor427

HSC
Azamakumar said:
They aren't illegal? It's all fair game so long as it's on the outside FOOL.
oh yeah......

fuck that was dumb haha

yeah well i am tired lol sorry Azamakumar

taylor427

HSC
i wonder whats next...
what can they try and screw on us now...
10 km/h an hour limits?
Daihatsu charade only license until your 34 years old...

who knows...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
faintygirl83 said:
Do those plastic plate holders only attach to the standard size number plates? I have the smaller premium plates on my car, so I don't think the plate holder is an option. :(
You're supposed to cut the bottom bit off if you've got the shorter plates (I have them too).

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
ahh $5 with free P&H is a pretty good deal
but why the hell is it under playstation 2? lolz

CieL

HSC
Yeah.. I was wondering why it's under PS2 as well..

I wonder how they're "easy to remove".. they look like permanent stickers.. ones that will go soggy and tear once they've been drowned in water [rain].. and if they're so easy to remove, as if people can't steal them..

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
seremify007 said:
You're supposed to cut the bottom bit off if you've got the shorter plates (I have them too).
Ahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I didnt, I left mine there. My dad also tightened the screws to the point where our plates are bent to about 30 degrees. looks soooooooooo dodgy. I might cut it off tomorrow.

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
magnetic is bad

in dec 06 i got my full license 2 weeks before green P expiry, and guess what,
cause no one tried to steal my magnetic plates from the car and through summer the plastic melted and glued onto my car!!! ROFL!!! took long hours with metho, swipes and a ruler to remove.

lala2

Banned
HSC
^^I guess this is an advantage of having to share a car with your parents--you have to take your plates off.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
theres no real spot for me to stick magnetic plates on. The front bit that is verticle is kinda like made of plastic or something the magnet doesnt stick to. The bit above that is a wierd angle slope because its a van, so the wind hits it and they just fall of as soon as you start driving.

I bought one of them metal bracket holders, and it was a real bitch to get on, needed to grab a few different screwdrivers and some new screws cause the holder didnt like those screws. After all that i put it on backwards :( oh well fuckit.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
47.46.45 said:
I think it's pretty much impossible to attach a P plate to the exterior of my car. Anywhere. You can get them on but they never last (even for a short drive down to the shops).
As of the first I'm just removing my static windscreen plates and thats all. If I get pulled over then I'll just say I put them on ten minutes ago, are they seriously gone already?!?! or a similar lie.
Ffs, such a stupid law. Way to encourage people to not display their plates.
Wont work. Atleast not where i live, cops just fine you no matter what you say, they dont really give a shit if they just fell off.

Pace_T

HSC
Vangineer said:
magnetic is bad

in dec 06 i got my full license 2 weeks before green P expiry, and guess what,
cause no one tried to steal my magnetic plates from the car and through summer the plastic melted and glued onto my car!!! ROFL!!! took long hours with metho, swipes and a ruler to remove.
i have this liquid hydrocarbon solution designed to take that gluey stuff off. but im not gona risk it with those magnetic plates anyway..... :(

CieL

HSC
I was driving with my friend yesterday and some ass of a cop pulled him over because he shoved his plates under his numberplate.. and it wasn't FULLY showing.. like omg who cares if you only see half the P..

Next thing you know if you dont have enough of the plate behind the number plate it'll fall off and he'd get pulled over again

gt-15-ho

HSC
i've heard that something to do with the magnetic charges damages the paint and also depending on how long you leave them there if your paint fades slight;y then you will be left with a noticeable mark.

personally id rather not risk ruining my paint, what i do is put the p plates that the rta give you just ehind your number plate and then put a cable tie through the screw holes in your number plate and on your p plate, that way its on the outside, can't come off, is clearly visible and people can't steal them :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)