Thoughts on Orientation (1 Viewer)

Fisiks

HSC
I used to study at the old library a few years ago so i know what i'm missing out on :(

old library = practical
new library = fancy bling for open week

Gangstar1

HSC
I kinda....accidentally lost my group at lunch time and just sat with my friends from that attended the other departments. I made more friends at lunch time by talking with people next to me compared to my group :\
LOL, well i guessed it turned out good you eh?

Gangstar1

HSC
Should've seen mine buddy ahaha.

FML.

Everytime I'd try to crack a joke or break the awkwardness I was met by cold, hard stares.

How welcoming. :rolleyes:
offt I feel you man were on the same boat >.>

builder2818

HSC
Uni has gotten off to a great start......Supposed to go to orientation day today but the standard free friday drinks after work ended up with me stumbling in the door at 5:00am so no orientation for me.

Honestly though, what am I missing out on? - a tour of the campus (a map would be the same wouldn't it) and I am 31yo, married with a kid - is it more about holding school leavers hands like you got when you started in Year 7 high school?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What do you think could be done to improve it?

Fisiks

HSC
For the library tour, just have our original mentors take us around and show us the important stuff (photocopiers, study area, toilets etc.) instead of getting a new guide that goes over pointless shit.

I'd rather the talk given by the blue shirt people in the lotus theatre was about our actual faculty. Maybe what to expect from first year units, how many hours a week we should be investing into study, tips for the year etc. First time uni students aren't socially retarded and as such don't need to be told how to make friends for 45 minutes. (i don't know how other faculties ran theirs but the business one was like that)

One sausage and a piece of bread doesn't constitute lunch.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
For the library tour, just have our original mentors take us around and show us the important stuff (photocopiers, study area, toilets etc.) instead of getting a new guide that goes over pointless shit.

I'd rather the talk given by the blue shirt people in the lotus theatre was about our actual faculty. Maybe what to expect from first year units, how many hours a week we should be investing into study, tips for the year etc. First time uni students aren't socially retarded and as such don't need to be told how to make friends for 45 minutes. (i don't know how other faculties ran theirs but the business one was like that)

One sausage and a piece of bread doesn't constitute lunch.
In that case, can I ask you if you attended the afternoon workshops that covered that? Or did you go home?

FTW

HSC
In that case, can I ask you if you attended the afternoon workshops that covered that? Or did you go home?
I think it was set out well with the option for lectures for those who wanted more in depth information was well set out. The only thing I would say is some of the mentors were shy/awkward, so maybe teaming up 2 mentors per group (which is what happened to my group after the library tour - and it went smoothly after that) would be more beneficial, that way you can have mentors with differing personalities leading the one group effectively.

Fisiks

HSC
I went home. I was planning to stay but after the library tour and student faculty talk i didn't want to risk sitting through a few more hours of something similar in quality.

Were the afternoon seminars run by the students?

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I went home. I was planning to stay but after the library tour and student faculty talk i didn't want to risk sitting through a few more hours of something similar in quality.

Were the afternoon seminars run by the students?
Only one or two were out of necessity, the rest were run by the support services and departments responsible for that support.

Following from that, would you have stayed if you had known that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)