thoughts on these courses? (1 Viewer)

Validity

HSC
B Civil engineering/architecture
B engineering/science
B engineering/med science
B civil(structural) engineering
B civil engineering

Thoughts on these through experience anyone?
btw if i don't do MX2, will i find these courses much more harder?

TheStallion

HSC
Yawn. What are you interested in? We don't need more people in eng without the drive to actually do it. All are good courses, but it really depends on your interests.

Validity

HSC
Yawn. What are you interested in? We don't need more people in eng without the drive to actually do it. All are good courses, but it really depends on your interests.
i'm interesting in the design of structures and probably going for Civil engineering/architechture

delian

HSC
N/A
I hear higher level Maths if very important for Engineering.

Validity

HSC
okay.. so i heard that doing engineering at unsw is a bad idea because of the lecturers? is this true?

TheStallion

HSC
Well UNSW is the best uni for eng in NSW (debatable, but top 2 for sure), so no.

As said above, if you don't enjoy maths then don't bother doing eng.

interesting

HSC
N/A
Well UNSW is the best uni for eng in NSW (debatable, but top 2 for sure), so no.

As said above, if you don't enjoy maths then don't bother doing eng.
then what course would you recommend for designing structures? like buildings/homes/bridges

TheStallion

HSC
Something from the faculty of built environment, so architecture by itself or something.

M@ster P

HSC
1. If your concerned with more of the aesthetics of the structure (like how it looks) then do architecture.
2. If your concerned with why and how the structure stands up, do civil engineering.
3. About the level of maths, I did 3 unit in high school and I did fine in all math courses.
4. About the lecturers, like all unis you will get good lecturers and shit ones. You gotta do it urself

D94

HSC
N/A
i'm interesting in the design of structures and probably going for Civil engineering/architechture
Do you want that combined or as an either choice? Assuming combined, UNSW doesn't have a combined Civil/Architecture, so you'd have to pick one or the other (there is a civil engineering with architecture degree, but there's no architecture qualification, just some focus on architecture). Anyway, if you do choose say USyd (because they have a combined civil/architecture), you will still have to complete another 2 years Masters of Architecture (or alike) course in order to be an official architect. The Bachelors isn't enough to work as an architect. So really, you're going to have to decide between 5 years of study to become an architect or 4/5 years to become a civil engineer. It wouldn't be worth combining as you will most definitely be wasting one of the degrees if you go down one path.

okay.. so i heard that doing engineering at unsw is a bad idea because of the lecturers? is this true?
Well, according to whom? Question your sources before questioning the university.

Validity

HSC
Do you want that combined or as an either choice? Assuming combined, UNSW doesn't have a combined Civil/Architecture, so you'd have to pick one or the other (there is a civil engineering with architecture degree, but there's no architecture qualification, just some focus on architecture). Anyway, if you do choose say USyd (because they have a combined civil/architecture), you will still have to complete another 2 years Masters of Architecture (or alike) course in order to be an official architect. The Bachelors isn't enough to work as an architect. So really, you're going to have to decide between 5 years of study to become an architect or 4/5 years to become a civil engineer. It wouldn't be worth combining as you will most definitely be wasting one of the degrees if you go down one path.

Well, according to whom? Question your sources before questioning the university.
can't i also incorporate the knowledge from civil to arch and vice versa

D94

HSC
N/A
can't i also incorporate the knowledge from civil to arch and vice versa
Sure, but there will definitely be a fully licensed architect working alongside a civil engineer. You're going to be hired as one or the other, not both, so why not be a fully qualified engineer or a fully qualified architect?

But remember, if you choose to be an architect, and you decide to do a civil and architect combined degree, you're going to be studying for 7 years. So is it really worth 2 extra years of study, to just "incorporate the knowledge from civil to arch", when there is someone else who will be doing the exact same thing but is more qualified?

Or vice versa, is it really worth 1 extra year (or 3 if you choose to become a qualified architect) to incorporate the knowledge from arch to civil when there is someone licensed to practice architecture?

I'm not saying you shouldn't do what you appear to really want to do, but is it really worth it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)