• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

thoughts? (1 Viewer)

WinterPalace

HSC
What do you guys think of the new Toyota Aurion? 190kw, 3.5 V6 VVT-i
Looks kinda promising, what do you think? Would it be able to go head to head with the falcon, commodore or 380? or would it fail miserably just like its predicessor the Avalon.. =.=!

Jiga

Yeah I dont know to much about the new one, but 3.5L engine giving 190kw well I would say it would do more then give a Commodore/Falcon a run for its money. They have also re-designed the car which is good because I read that was a major floor in the previous model... it looked like crap... it was also I THINK only 3L and put out a miserable 145kw with 1550kg of weight..... my old arse Vienta could beat it!

So yea, new look, better engine.... should be good. Although sales wise, I dunno, I cant understand why all these companies are investing in bigger engines with bigger cars to try and rival Ford and Holden etc.... there is more competition in that particular market than ever before... yet at the same time demand is realistically decreasing for petrol guzzlers! Personally I would have thought something like the camry or even the magnas which were like 3L V6 would be the way to go and the very max in size for a family car.... not to bad on petrol, but still having way more power than you will ever need!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
When I first saw it... (not counting specs or anything) I couldn't help but think..

Damn~ those guys must have done a lot of research in Australia because if I didn't know better, I'd think that was the new Commodore or Falcon.

After all this talk of Commodore and safety issues, I wonder whether Toyota will be able to bring a 5-star NCAP to this "genre" of car.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I don't know about any of the technical specs, but I think it looks pretty alright, and I think a lot of families will buy it because of the general rep of toyotas being good and reliable.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
Lets just hope they don't get Dame Edna to promote it. I think that seriously ruined the chances of the Avalon.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
what have you got against front wheel drive anyway? granted i prefer rwd but the extra handling of fwd is pretty nice when going around kiama bends.

i reckon it looks pretty sexy, sorta like a monaro[was any1 else thinking this?]
its like the monaro stops being made, and this is resurected via toyota

190 isnt that much, i would like to see it loose its puppy fat, and then push 250kw. [cause realisticly it still cant compete with 5l engines] considering thats stock, and also naturally aspirated- iam impressed
Although sales wise, I dunno, I cant understand why all these companies are investing in bigger engines with bigger cars to try and rival Ford and Holden etc
its supposed to be based off the camry, so i guess a fuel efficient alternative to a high powered car like a commodore

but yeah looks decent i definetely wouldnt get one until 2007, a sportier supercharged version is supposed to be released then, but if i was looking for a new car, and had the money this would definetely be an option

pics!
aurion

monaro

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I definantly like the look.

I'd be interested in aurion body+supra drivetrain kindof a direct rival for the XR6-T....

I think that fwd would start to restrict the usefulness of much more power than 190kw.

As far as why fwd because its cheaper as more camry parts are carried over and easier for novices to handle.

Also perhaps we'll finally see a three way v8 supercars series.....

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh looks more Falcon.

I'm just amazed that they did market research before they even designed the car... *remembers the Avalon*

Qlimax

HSC
lol, this car looks so gay, so unoriginal, sorry to say that. family sized concept car?
190 kw's?
you seriously might as well get the 190kw sv6 commy

alexxxz

HSC
you do know the 190kw sportivo version is supercharged. that means very good response and it will have plenty of torque. stop critisizing it because it doesnt have the 250kws like the aussie tank's do. i'm sure it will perform well up there with them.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
alexxxz said:
you do know the 190kw sportivo version is supercharged. that means very good response and it will have plenty of torque. stop critisizing it because it doesnt have the 250kws like the aussie tank's do. i'm sure it will perform well up there with them.
i was under the impression that the 190kw was infact the stock version

as th sportivo supercharged version isnt due for release until mid 2007, i am expecting a much higher output from this car

the bonnet isnt flashy enough though, needs a dookicky like an air intake or something.

i can see alot of potential for this car, give them a few years to spec it up and getthe design right, and i can see a new contender to the two horse ford/holden race

alexxxz

HSC
i'm pretty sure the 190kw version is the sportivo. 3.5litre supercharged v6 and the base models were around the 140kw mark. remember car manufacturers are also thinking about the fuel crisis at the moment.. seriously who wants a petrol eater of a car? yes there are some enthusiasts but they are outnumbered the by the daily drivers. i'd much prefer this car over and holden or ford.

Jiga

I would have thought a 3.5L supercharged V6 would put out more than just 190kw? Like dont the new base model Falcons put out 190kw... given they are 4L, but still....

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Serius said:
i can see alot of potential for this car, give them a few years to spec it up and getthe design right, and i can see a new contender to the two horse ford/holden race
IIRC didn't the original R32 GTR beat the classic duo at Bathurst 15 or so years ago?

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
FWD's are rubbish...put your foot down in a supercharged fwd around a corner and say hello to tree on the other side of the road. Now rwd...put your foot down around a corner in a rwd, snap on the opposite lock and ride out the slide with a slight wiggle on the way out all neat. I never feel confident in front wheel drives, theres no counter-steering understeer.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm still not used to being propelled in a RWD car as opposed to being pulled in a FWD... after driving FWD, RWD and AWD/4WD, the AWD/4WD still feels the best in terms of going through corners without under/oversteer, the FWD feels good at the speeds I travel at, and RWD is the one I'm least used to and felt... 'awkward' when turning corners.

Jiga

FWD's are rubbish...put your foot down in a supercharged fwd around a corner and say hello to tree on the other side of the road. Now rwd...put your foot down around a corner in a rwd, snap on the opposite lock and ride out the slide with a slight wiggle on the way out all neat. I never feel confident in front wheel drives, theres no counter-steering understeer.
Its only really a problem when you are doing something stupid, in general driving they are ok if not better. The worst thing with them though from my experience is in the wet when you get the wheels to spin, you have no control because the driving wheels which also happen to be steering wheels have lost contact with the road, whereas in RWD its the back wheels that have lost contact while the steering wheels can still control the direction.

Mr Will

HSC
DaddyK said:

hmm...someone needs to drive. ever heard of LSD? an integra type r has been proven to understeer LESS than a static torque split awd car.

statistically speaking, far more accidents occur in rwd vehicles because they have more potential for havoc when pushed beyond their limits. if you think oversteer is 'safe', or 'better' then youre just stupid

and as for there being no way to counter understeer...what planet are you living on? try lifting off throttle, or turning in less. i say again - learn to drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)