time in the exam to write your candidate number and organise booklets (1 Viewer)

bayan92

HSC
Our supervisor lets us fill out all the numbers/naming booklets etc pre-writing time

absorber

HSC
nah they are super strict on it, you have to do it within your writing time, make sure you do it at the beginning and every time you use a new booklet.
Clearly has to do with school...At ours they let us do it after

spagbowl

bread.
HSC
Gosh the supervisers are such lovely old ladies, they aren't strick at all i spent ages after the end of the exam writing my number on, everyone did, no really cared

askrach

HSC
ours also let us do it after
My school made the HSC supervisors out to be really mean people who would give you zero if you moved your head the wrong way
they don't care at all!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
They are not meant to do this. While it may be good for you, i personally think it is pretty shit on the supervisors part; they are effectively making it unfair for people who's supervisors do abide by the rules and only allow students to to fill in their student numbers once writing time has commenced. To the above posts, not all supervisors are as lenient, some take it very seriously and again this makes the system unfair for those who do follow the rules.

Last edited:

terminator69

HSC
They are not meant to do this. While it may be good for you, i personally think it is pretty shit on the supervisors part; they are effectively making it unfair for people who's supervisors do abide by the rules and only allow students to to fill in their student numbers once writing time has commenced.
How do you know? Have you read the rules yourself?

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
How do you know? Have you read the rules yourself?
20. Examination room procedures (i) You must sit at the desk with the place card showing your name and student number. The position of the desk may vary from session to session according to the accommodation and the requirements of the examination. (ii) You must remove your watch and place it in clear view on the examination desk. (iii) It is your responsibility to make sure that the correct examination paper has been provided for the course you have entered. When asked to do so by the supervisor, you must also check examination papers to make sure that there are no pages missing. (iv) Reading time for examination papers is as follows: • 10 minutes of reading and familiarisation time for the first paper of the examination in all English courses • 10 minutes reading time for all written language examinations for Beginners, Background Speakers and Extension courses, and for Continuers courses in modern languages • 5 minutes reading time for all other examinations. (v) During reading time, you must not write, use any equipment including highlighters, or annotate your exam paper in any way. (vi) For examinations where dictionaries are permitted, you may consult your dictionary during reading time. (vii) During written examinations, you must: (a) read the instructions on the examination paper carefully as well as all questions. Presiding officers and supervisors are not permitted to interpret examination questions or instructions relating to questions; (b) write your examination centre number and student number on all writing booklets, special answer books and answer sheets; (c) write with black or blue pen. Pencil may be used only where specifically directed; (d) make sure that you write your answers in the correct answer booklets. If you write an answer in the wrong booklet, tell the supervisor, and write a note on the front and back of both booklets that an answer has been written in the wrong booklet. Do not rewrite your answers, but ensure you label and hand in all parts of your answers; (e) stop writing immediately when told to do so by the supervisor; (f) arrange completed answers according to the supervisor’s instructions and wait for the supervisor to collect them; and (g) complete the Student Completion Record listing the number of examination booklets used during the examination. This must be checked and countersigned by the supervisor before you leave the examination desk. (viii) You must not: (a) begin writing until instructed to do so by the presiding officer or supervisor (b) write your name or your school’s name on writing booklets, answer books or sheets, or use any other names, symbols or marks that identify or distinguish you in any way from other students. The Board may cancel your entry if you disregard this rule 14 Page 16 RULES AND PROCEDURES (c) leave the examination room (except in an emergency) until one hour after the start of the examination. If you have to leave and want to return and resume the examination, you must be supervised while you are absent from the examination room (d) leave the examination room during the last 15 minutes of the examination. If you have completed the examination you must remain seated and quiet (e) remove an examination paper from the examination room until the examination is over. Due to BoS fucking up i can't highlight but section vii b indicates that writing time is when you fill this in. I suppose it could be interpreted differently but then again i have always been told you are not allowed to write on anything (except the attendance forms) until writing time has commenced, a lot of people i know were told this during their exams as well and were not allowed to fill in anything before writing time had commenced. EDIT: Sorry about the wall of text, BoS is screwing up right now and will not alter the format.

Last edited:

terminator69

HSC
Due to BoS fucking up i can't highlight but section vii b indicates that writing time is when you fill this in. I suppose it could be interpreted differently but then again i have always been told you are not allowed to write on anything (except the attendance forms) until writing time has commenced, a lot of people i know were told this during their exams as well and were not allowed to fill in anything before writing time had commenced.
The rule you are referring to says to write your number and exam centre on all pages. No where does it mention this has to be done during writing time. You say doing this is unfair to others, but really you are the one that is being treated unfairly.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
The rule you are referring to says to write your number and exam centre on all pages. No where does it mention this has to be done during writing time. You say doing this is unfair to others, but really you are the one that is being treated unfairly.
The procedure does not really specify does it? During written examinations, you must: (a) read the instructions on the examination paper carefully as well as all questions. Presiding officers and supervisors are not permitted to interpret examination questions or instructions relating to questions; (b) write your examination centre number and student number on all writing booklets, special answer books and answer sheets; As i said, i suppose it could be referring to the exam as a whole. I think it would be a good idea tio call the HSC advice line, all i can do is go off my personal experience and what i have been told. But let me ask you this, if it was allowed, why did the supervisors mentioned in the above post feel the need to turn back the clock? EDIT: Would you like to call? I can't as i am not sitting the HSC this year and i am genuinely curious as to whether or not i got screwed last year.

Last edited:

terminator69

HSC
The procedure does not really specify does it? i suppose it could be referring to the exam as a whole. I think it would be a good idea tio call the HSC advice line, all i can do is go off my personal experience and what i have been told.
It is obviously talking about the whole exam. Look at the last point of that set of rules (vii); it states "complete the Student Completion Record listing the number of examination booklets used during the exam". This uses past tense towards the examination (writing time) meaning "written examinations" as you referred to, includes the time before and after writing time.
But let me ask you this, if it was allowed, why did the supervisors mentioned in the above post feel the need to turn back the clock?
Can you rephrase? I don't understand your question.

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
It is obviously talking about the whole exam. Look at the last point of that set of rules (vii); it states "complete the Student Completion Record listing the number of examination booklets used during the exam". This uses past tense towards the examination (writing time) meaning "written examinations" as you referred to, includes the time before and after writing time.

Can you rephrase? I don't understand your question.
It does not specify when, it says 'during a written examination' and trying to interpret what that means exactly from the tense of a sentence does not really give an absolute definition
Yeah she lets us fill it in beforehand, and then just moved the time back on the clock lol.
why would a supervisor do this? Perhaps it is irrelevant. Again, would you like to call the HSC advice line and ask as i am interested to know the answer.

terminator69

HSC
It does not specify when, it says 'during a written examination' and trying to interpret what that means exactly from the tense of a sentence does not really give an absolute definition
If they want you to complete the completion record USED DURING THE EXAM, it means the exam time or writing time has ended. Unless you want to argue that you have to leave the room and then complete your student completion record.

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
If they want you to complete the completion record USED DURING THE EXAM, it means the exam time or writing time has ended. Unless you want to argue that you have to leave the room and then complete your student completion record.
Where are you getting that the completion record is to be used during the exam/writing time? It may that i've been writing an essay on Athenian law today and my brain feels like mush, but i do not see how that specifies it can be written before or after and i don't have the time to argue with you over this. I am guessing by your ignoring my previous two posts that you do not want to call the HSC advice line.

terminator69

HSC
Where are you getting that the completion record is to be used during the exam/writing time? It may that i've been writing an essay on Athenian law today and my brain feels like mush, but i do not see how that specifies it can be written before or after and i don't have the time to argue with you over this. I am guessing by your ignoring my previous two posts that you do not want to call the HSC advice line.
Read my posts again for clarification. Why would I call the hsc advice line? I'm content with my exam centre that allows me to write my numbers on after writing time has ended.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Read my posts again for clarification. Why would I call the hsc advice line? I'm content with my exam centre that allows me to write my numbers on after writing time has ended.
'complete the Student Completion Record listing the number of examination booklets used during the exam' This does not mean that the student completion record is completed during the exam. If you are happy to do your exams ignorant, thats fine, i was just interested and am unable to call myself as i am not a hsc candidate this year.

terminator69

HSC
'complete the Student Completion Record listing the number of examination booklets used during the exam' This does not mean that the student completion record is completed during the exam.
That is my point.
If you are happy to do your exams ignorant, thats fine, i was just interested and am unable to call myself as i am not a hsc candidate this year.
You have yet to prove your argument so I think that saying I am ignorant in my completion of exams is unjustified. Have you called the hsc advice line in the past? I wouldn't have thought they would refuse help to anyone nor would they require proof that someone is currently undertaking hsc.

Last edited:

tonyharrison

HSC
Yeah same with us. People were writing it after the exam, and they were fine. Hmm..weird how it differs so much from school to school...

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
One point to note about when you have to do this is - What are the supervisors going to do if a student doesn't write on any booklet during the exam? They aren't going to stop a student filling in the exam booklets after the exam has finished are they? Or do you think that they are going to send in exam booklets with no information on the front (let alone inside)?

Of course the supervisors will allow students to fill in the booklets after the end of the exam as the alternative is either the supervisors have to do it themselves or send in booklets with nothing on them - not going to happen.

As for the school that put the clock back there is a logical explanation for that - many students have psychologically prepared for an exam to start at a given time and therefore they have the timings for each section of the exam planned so by having the clock match the BOS timetable start time those students who have that idea implanted in their minds aren't confused - nothing illegal by them but more a positive consideration for the students concerned.

wats

HSC
we were given time before the exam started while we were waiting, lucky as i wouldn't have finished my essay without the extra time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)