Time Travel, is it possible...? (1 Viewer)

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
Zrap said:
Anything is possible with barbie
lol

according to my physics textbook (theoretically) travel to the future is possible, but not the past...

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
they've actually sent a pulse of light or soemthing? back in time/forward in time.

but that's the only thing that they've successfully managed to time travel as it has no mass. If it has mass, it'd be stuffed.

..now if we wonly had the car from Back to the Future... =D

Foxodi

HSC
shinji said:
they've actually sent a pulse of light or soemthing? back in time/forward in time.

but that's the only thing that they've successfully managed to time travel as it has no mass. If it has mass, it'd be stuffed.
I actually believe that was teleportation not time-travel. I think they did it somewhere in Australia a few years ago.

sycho936

HSC
suppose time travel was possible and you went into the past to change something and then changed it, then in your actual time it would be changed and therefore you never would have gone back in time in the first place hence it wouldn't be changed..........

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
well of course, we are traveling through time right now!.

serious answer: you could 'travel into the future" with some sort of cryogenic technolodgy like in futurama.
You could use time dilation with the theory of relativity, travel really really fast [i.e near speed of light] to another star, turn around, speed back up and come back to earth, only say 10 years will pass for you, but much more for earth.

past travel: much harder, now you start using wormholes, most of which is above my comprehension, the only reason i even understand part of it is because i read too much sci fi.

Felix Jones

HSC
shinji said:

..now if we wonly had the car from Back to the Future... =D
aaahhh no they didn't, if your referring to the report in 2000 that L.J Wang and his team apparently produced light that goes faster tha c, you're well mistaken as they later clarified their finding and said that it was only an 'effect'. nothing can travel faster that light as this would violate the principle of causality, which states that basically the cause has to come before the effect.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
hollyy. said:
lol

according to my physics textbook (theoretically) travel to the future is possible, but not the past...
I'm travelling into the future now, retard.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Marky24 said:
how is it ?
Wait, what?

That's pretty self-explanatory.

In regards to OP's question. If you want order in time. Kill the Batman.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
It's possible to travel forwards in time at various different speeds (though not instantaneously - id est, no skipping to a point) with modern physics.

Backwards isn't possible with modern physics, however.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
With quantum mechanics, anything is possible! It's just not probable :(

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
No, no I'm pretty sure quantum mechanics places definite limits on realms of possibility.

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
String theory is supposed to allow for worm holes(rips in space-time fabric) to exist so maybe we can take 'shortcuts' through space and time one day

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Time Travel - is it possible?

In order to grasp the possibility of time travel, you've got to understand what time actually is. Time is merely the movement of matter. That is to say the smallest unit of time, is the time it takes for the fastest moving piece of matter, to move the distance of the smallest piece of matter.

Now considering "time" is only the movement of these particles (time is the constant), how can you go back in time? or unmove all the universes particles?

The speed of the particles can not change, because that would mean the speed of light (a constant) must change, or the smallest unit of matter must change. Both of which are impossible.

Honestly... it's simply impossible to travel back of forward into time.

Even if we looked at the universe through the string theory, multiple identical dimension, bullshit idea of the universe. For something to physically move from this universe to another point in time of the universe is impossible.

1) It would require the matter in the "past" to dissapear, and move to the "future". Matter can not dissapear.

The only rules we have in this universe is "matter/energy can neither be destroyed nor created", time travel breaks those rules.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)