Timetable Clashes (1 Viewer)

Jason Bourne

HSC
N/A
Resolving timetable clashes

Went into the Timetable section of MyUni and realised that I could potentially have a clash between two subjects in semester 2. Haven't encountered any clashes before so was wondering what methods USYD actually implements to resolve the problem.

Do they force you to drop a subject? Assert 'Summer school'? I would REALLY prefer to keep both subjects.

I want to hear your stories.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Re: Resolving timetable clashes

I don't think they force you to drop a subject, usually you can just go to Madsen in person and ask them to force a clash. Which units were these, btw?

Jason Bourne

HSC
N/A

One of my second-year maths subjects and SOFT1001. Fuck, I knew this was probably more likely to happen when I mix nth year and (n + 1)th year subjects. Thing is though, the clash is between two lectures. I dunno if that's good or bad news for solution-finding, but I'm willing to live with that clash and just miss out on one of those lects a week. If the tards make me drop a subject, I'll declare a holy jihad against the Student Center.

tennille

HSC

They won't make you drop it because they're only lectures. I think I'm going to have to deal with the same thing in semester 2. Unless they have another stream of lectures for one of the subjects, I think you're going to be stuck with the clash.

bugs

you know the information on the school's webpages...are they reliable - i mean like the timetable info -are they bound to change ?
cos i checked German and italian ones and my lectures clash!
plus the midday turorials so i have to go 3-5pm tutorials for German - Hence i'm peeved.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

By week 3-4 you won't be attending lectures anyway, so don't worry too much.:)

Jason Bourne

HSC
N/A

Yeah, I figured that all that might happen is that I can't turn up to both lectures simultaneously.. which I guess I'll have no choice but to go by. Definitely better than dropping one sub atleast.

Anyone done SOFT1002? Lectures useful?

Collin

HSC
N/A

bump.

coulda

HSC
Okay I'm just looking at my proposed timetable and it is clear that I have a clash between two lectures 9:00am Mondays: CHEM 1901 - Chemistry 1A (Advanced) with LAWS 1006 - Foundations of Law...

Those are like compulsory lectures ie. um thats the only law lecture per week and there are no other times for that law lecture...
and that chem lecture on Monday is one of the three compulsory lectures per week..there are also no other times for that lecture...

There's no way I have to skip one of them 'cause they're both very important?!! So what's going to happen?!

I rang up the Student Centre and they don't know what to do...they told me to ask the Faculty of Science office...and I told them that about 20 ppl have the same problem as me, and they said that thats quite a "large number" of people with that clash?! and so Faculty of Science might open the lecture another time? Is that possible??

And then I rang up the Faculty of Science office...and they said that they have no idea...er what's going to happen?

tennille

HSC
If a large amount of people have the same problem with the same subject, then it's possible they might open up another lecture stream. Otherwise, you're going to be stuck with the clash. The lectures are not that important. The chances are that they'll supply you with online lecture notes, so you can go through them yourself when you get the chance. Maybe alternate between the two clashes.

Generator

HSC
N/A
If there's an unavoidable clash (that there is in this instance seems very weird), you are just going to have to deal with it. Most lectures aren't compulsory as such, so when the time comes you may have to just inform each lecturer that there is a clash and that you may have to skip their lecture in order to attend the other.

If you are forced to pick one lecture over the other, be sure to make this decision collectively. If you can arrange matters so that you can swap notes with another student who happens to be in the same boat (ie, you attend the law lecture, they attend the chemistry lecture), the clash shouldn't prove to be too much of a hassle if you keep up to date with the material that you miss.

coulda

HSC

Whoops i didnt notice this thread before I started a new one on timetable clash..sorry!!
um yeah i have a clash like next Monday (first day of uni!!) and for the next Mondays....between CHEM 1901 - Chemistry 1A (Advanced) and LAWS 1006 - Foundations of Law 9:00am Mondays....
those are all compulsory lectures with no other times....so...
hm im repeating myself, but i think about 20 ppl (im not sure) are in the same boat as me...so will they open another lecture for one of them?

(i called up the student centre and they said they have no idea and that i have to ask Faculty of Science office...but that they MIGHT open a new lecture? and then i called Science office and they said they have no idea what to do either...WTH?!)

um does it help going to Madsen to change timetables 'cause how will they handle this?
'cause obviously LAWS 1006 - Foundations of Law (the only law lecture per week + two seminars...and i cant drop the subject obviously 'cause according to Law Handbook, i cant take further law subjects until i finish Foundations of Law ) should be very important and so would CHEM 1901 - Chem Advanced..(its one of the three compulsory lectures per week)

:| I really dont want to have to miss any of these lectures...

coulda

HSC
Tennille said:
If a large amount of people have the same problem with the same subject, then it's possible they might open up another lecture stream. Otherwise, you're going to be stuck with the clash. The lectures are not that important. The chances are that they'll supply you with online lecture notes, so you can go through them yourself when you get the chance. Maybe alternate between the two clashes.
yeah well i havent started so i have absolutely no idea how good the lectures are...but its really tough..'cause its a double degree - combined Science(Advanced)/Law degree....so both lectures of both courses are kinda of equally as important?! u have any idea how i can POSSIBLY choose between LAWS 1006 and CHEM 1901?

tennille

HSC
I have no idea. I did CHEM1901 last year, and the first lecturer (Peter Harowell) wrote his own notes up on the board, instead of supplying them over the net. He was a pretty crappy lecturer. The others provided lecture notes. But as Generator mentioned, maybe get some friends to attend CHEM and you attend the LAW lectures. A lot of the stuff learnt with the first lecturer is a revision of year 12.

tennille

HSC
Since LAWS1006 only has one lecture per week, maybe go to that one.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
coulda said:
There's no way I have to skip one of them 'cause they're both very important?!! So what's going to happen?!
believe me when i tell you the law lectures arn't important, they are just guest speakers, I went to 3 the whole semester. 2 cause they were in regard to assignments that were due and 1 cause i was bored, in the 1 wen i was bored and it wasn;t in relation to the assignment about 20% of the year was in there.

coulda

HSC
Tennille said:
I have no idea. I did CHEM1901 last year, and the first lecturer (Peter Harowell) wrote his own notes up on the board, instead of supplying them over the net. He was a pretty crappy lecturer. The others provided lecture notes. But as Generator mentioned, maybe get some friends to attend CHEM and you attend the LAW lectures. A lot of the stuff learnt with the first lecturer is a revision of year 12.
Hehe thanks heaps for all the quick replies!! The prob is that I have no friends doing Science/Law..or friends just doing science and CHEM 1901 and would be willing to give me her notes every week without me going to the lectures...(that would be unreciprocated so I wouldnt do that)

Um Gordo...how do u know WHEN u should turn up to a law lecture?! how'd u know which days the lectures on assignments due were going to on?! and how would u know when an important lecture would be on?

argh sorry...just so worried...keeping my fingers crossed that they will open a new lecture somehow....

heart

sm:)e
HSC
I'm doing science/law too, and i'm having the same clash =P What a pain.

Hopefully they'll fix it.

stine

HSC
I have the same problem. On Thursday at 9am I have a two hour tutorial for ITLN1631 and at the same time one of three compulsory lectures for STAT1021 arghh. So there's another possible dilemma - if i alternate each week is it possible for me to attend STAT1021 and then afterwards go to my italian tute halfway through (i.e. 10-11 rather than 9-11)? Has anyone ever done this? Do you think the tutor would get a little irate about it??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)