Tips for 2008 HSC Class/Things You Wish You Knew Before Starting Your HSC (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
Re: Things You Wish You Knew Before Starting Your HSC

lilster said:
12. free periods should be used wisely
Our school doesn't even allow seniors to have free periods.
I feel cheated !
Are they even allowed to do that ?

dan.121212

HSC

Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
I feel cheated !
wat - no free periods - so how many units u do?
so wat if u do 10, 11, 12 or 13 units????

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Hahahaha when I drop ancient I'll have thirteen frees a fortnight. how sweet is that.

princesscal

Banned
HSC
Why is my school so shit? Other people that do 12 units with no extension classes outside of normal hours, do you get frees?

btw jachie, msn or something

Kujah

HSC
N/A
13 units and 1 free period now.

ChappedKiss

HSC
I have around 5 free periods a fortnight, when we dropped our 1 unit subjects at the end of last term, those periods turned into frees.

Äj

HSC
How to win the hsc

even as i write this i should be studying for my SOR test tomorrow...(its my last :D) but what the hey. this is the way to win the hsc, the power you have been endowed with is limmitless. as long as you follow what it says....

accually study, do abit all the time, even though its not for awhile get in now. you may groan and whinge and not wat to cause youd rather be doing something outside or watching tv or doing something, but when you get to the exams youll be not giving a crap about all those times you had rathered do something else then study cause when the exams come everything in the past will not matter to you and you would have just wished you had done plenty of study beforehand so it would be easy now. Trust me, you will.
dont go study spastic though, you dont need to start doing 6 hrs a day study or anything. and if you just do the homework, revise stuff and so on youll just remember it then when it comes time to studying more for the exams you will know basically all the stuff and youll just have to brush up.
* its ALOT easier and more fun to do that then to have to go crazy near the exams cause you dont know nearly as much as you would like.
* dont stress out about stuff, it doesnt help and only makes you forget stuff, just make the most of the time you have left, stay calm and go over important stuff
* get the sylibus for your subjects, go through them systimatically and revise each one and tick it off.
* make compact, consise notes. cut the crap thats in them and make sure its only the important stuff. you dont want great slabs of stuff to try and remember, because you wont.
* if you dont like a subject, get over it. you have to deal with it so you may as well try and be good at it. get out of the thinking that you 'hate' that subject, if you keep telling yourself you dont like it you wont.

youve only got 1 1/2 yrs of school left. itll go fast so make the most of it, study wise and social wise. As much as you might dissagree now, you do accually like school and most probably will miss it when you leave. you get to see your friends everyday and all the other stuff. you wont be able to do these things once youve left. ive got friends going to Qld, sydney, and all places everywhere for uni or whatever so i wont be seeing half of them much (if at all).
like i said. theres not much time left, so make good use of it. Like Study, not overly but just revise and look over stuff, and your sylibus. Like study, everything is good in moderation, parties are no exeption. Make sure you go to parties and go out with your friends and have fun. None of this "no, you need to stay home and study" crap. yes, you need to study, and make sure you do (truthfully) but all these other things are also important. Theyre fun and keep you happy, with happiness you are more inclined to study and to do so better.
Apart from that. just make sure you do do the work, comeon, youve only got less than 2 yrs then your OUT, done forever, finito, caputt, no more school. you can do what you want then so make sure you do the work now, its not parties and going out that wastes study time, its all the little things like watching to much tv, or doing things that really arent that important or just bumming around in general and wasting time for no real reason. so if you find youself slipping into this force yourself out of it, it doesnt matter what subject you study, or even if its a text you need to read do that just as long as you dont waste your time, because its one thing youll find yourself running out of and its the one most important thing becuase you can only shove so much into your head (and expect it to stick) in any given amount of time.
so by starting early, you can do less at a time instead of building it all up into one great heap at the end and shoving it all in, youll find doing that will work much better.
The Hsc isnt the el mundo festo evil incarnate test of death. its pretty easy, just as long as you know your subjects, and they WILL NOT put anything in the tests that isnt in your sylibus for the subject. Its like the easy sawce way of winning, just learn what the sylibus says to, that it, thats all you have to do to do well in the hsc. you dont have to know everything, only what they tell you to. Its not a test of your intelligence or how smart you are (thats the same thing i think, anyway...) its just a test of how well you know the sylibus pretty much.

so to sum it up
*Get in early and dont waste time (even though i almost guarentee you wont)
*dont need to spend some insane hrs each day studying, just do acouple a day and get into a habit if doing it.
*dont sacrifice important events for study (unless its really close to exams...and you know like nothing)
*remember, when you get to the exams, you wont care about anything that has happened in between then and now. The ONLY thing you will be caring about is how much you have to do THEN. so do more now and you will be thankfull you did.
* this is your last year, make the most of it and have fun!

and that looks about it.... so good luck

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Re: How to win the hsc

If you rote learn, it won't get you too far anywhere.
You literally need skills that really kills (the non literal part) in your subject e.g. problem solving.

Last edited:

ToMmmm

HSC

To almost guarantee yourself pretty much at least 75% all you need to do is:
  • Don't spend all year tossing up whether or not to drop to standard english or general maths. If you are not coping - just do it. It will make life alot easier.
  • Pay attention most of the time in class.. try not to wonder off into space too much.
  • Hand in at least one draft for every assessment.
  • Study for all assessable tests at least 4 days before the actual test.
  • Prepare study notes *as you go*.. it's not that difficult, you just need to spend up to an hour each day summarising and refining your notes [possibly in accordance to the syllabus] into a neat little word file. Try not to do this a few days before the test - if anything, summarise your revision notes again before that.
  • Prepare generic essay layouts for English long before essays are due so that you memorise a basic outline of what you need to write. Remember to include and answer the question with the help of a sustained thesis. A quote/technique table will also help.
  • Don't stress: it gets you no where. Everyone else has to do the HSC and unless you have legitimate reason for stressing [such as a death in the family, or something serious] don't get all caught up in worrying - because at the end of the day it's not the be all and end all - it REALLY isn't.
  • Study for the HSC tests by doing past papers, revising and memorising your notes and, although not always possible, actually know how to apply your notes to any question. Do this AT LEAST 2 weeks before the test starts. If you are not motivated, then don't study.. it's just going to waste time... get yourself motivated. Think of your goals.
  • Some people say that recording notes helps... but make sure that your recordings are short and precise. I did this and my notes were FAR too long, and I couldn't be bothered sitting there listening to them.
It's really easy to get an adequate UAI for any level of intelligence. You just need a little bit of motivation and effort and you will get there :). Keep in mind, I will probably get a crap UAI lol.

Last edited:

live.fast

HSC
N/A

Learn to write in a good style too. this fuked me up for english and alot of other subjects in HSC and it can fuck you up for other subjects too - no matter if you know the content awesomely, if you can't put it nicely onto paper in words, you lose. Or a better way of putting it - you know content = awesome. but in eng, you have to be able to write it well - and some in other humanities subjects. i mucked it up for HSC, i didnt learn a proper writing style quick enough or well enough - but its so critical, like you wouldn't believe.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC

ToMmmm said:
  • Hand in at least one draft for every assessment.
Do teachers have to look at this, etc or can they refuse to accept it?

Foxodi

HSC

davidbarnes said:
Do teachers have to look at this, etc or can they refuse to accept it?
They dont have to look at it, but If they refuse to look at it/comment on it then they dont really care for you and you go to a crap school :)
I plan to prob take my MH essay to my teacher 3 times b4 I hand it in at the end of the month (my last MH essay got me my worst mark Ive gotton in all high school, so Im gonna annoy the hell out of her for help :D)

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC

Foxodi said:
They dont have to look at it, but If they refuse to look at it/comment on it then they dont really care for you and you go to a crap school :)
I plan to prob take my MH essay to my teacher 3 times b4 I hand it in at the end of the month (my last MH essay got me my worst mark Ive gotton in all high school, so Im gonna annoy the hell out of her for help :D)
same!, but for all subjects, so the teachers feedback and tell us exactly what we need for full marks

knightclub

HSC
Try to get close to full marks in your assesment tasks!!

It is a million times easier to get the marks here than in your trials! And considering your trials is usually between 25-40%.. the other 60+% is relatively easier to achieve.

I only started studying hard before the trials.. and yea i kinda regret that:)

I would say gluck, but that has a very little part to play!

tambourine

HSC
how often should u study for ext 2 maths? silly question i know :(

Charity F

póg mo thóin
HSC
N/A
tambourine said:
how often should u study for ext 2 maths? silly question i know :(
yes, silly question =)

But if you're going to do Extension 2 Maths properly, then you'd better be working at least 1 hour EVERY NIGHT. That's mainly because the problems are so long, thus is time consuming. You need to put the hard yards in if you want it to scale up your UAI.

Good Luck!

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC

Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
I feel cheated !
I had 23 free periods. :D

Kujah

HSC
N/A

I had 5 free periods = 400 minutes

Now, I only have 1 :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)