Tips for teaching prac attire? (1 Viewer)

Hannelore

HSC
Hi all :) I wasn't really sure where the best place to start a thread on this was, this or a general education thread, so I apologise if it needs to be moved.

Basically I'm needing to shop for appropriate attire for my first teaching prac coming up. To be perfectly honest, I have a total blank when I think back to my own former teacher/student teacher's clothing choices and it makes me nervous to think I might be dressing either too casual or too formal.

Does anyone have any tips? E.g. staples, clothing store suggestions? Maybe some specific tips if there is anything that you thought would be fine but didn't really work especially given the more non-sedentary nature of teaching?

I'm also wondering what the official stance on shoes is. I seem to remember teachers wearing sandals that definitely wouldn't have gone over well in woodwork or science block but does anyone know if some schools have a strict policy for OH&S?

Thank you :)

EDIT: Probably should have mentioned that I'm a girl, whoops!

Last edited:

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Not sure for girls, but for guys, alternate between polo's and shirts (long and short sleeve), chino's and jeans (formal slim fit, no distress) and chukka boots/dress shoes or casual sneakers (vans or converse). I cant stand teachers that come to school dressed like they just got out of bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
smart casual, depends on school if public no tryhard, if private/catholic ~ expect more fancy

Hannelore

HSC
Not sure for girls, but for guys, alternate between polo's and shirts (long and short sleeve), chino's and jeans (formal slim fit, no distress) and chukka boots/dress shoes or casual sneakers (vans or converse). I cant stand teachers that come to school dressed like they just got out of bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would never show up looking like I just rolled out of bed, but I guess my problem is that different people seem to have varying opinions on how smart is either too smart or not smart enough, if that makes sense :)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
That will depend on the school as schools often have 'dress codes' for their staff.

My school insists on enclosed shoes for all staff - including females as well as low heels. Not all schools do the same.

If you are pracing in a private school professional dress will be more likely to be expected than in many public schools. Having taught in both I know the standard of dress in my private school has been much higher than it ever was in my public schools but ... that was a number of years back now.

I also would advise a longer length skirt for a female, unless you are going to take the option of slacks. I have had prac teachers who have turned up in mini-skirts and then been offended when teenage boys make comments so be a bit conservative.

I would advise finding out the name of the school asap and then approach the principal or your supervising teacher asap as well to find out - it will also impress them if you make an earlier approach than is absolutely required (from personal experience of supervising many prac students that sort of advance contact has always impressed me).

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
yeh be wary of the type of dress you wear unless you want all the guys to simultaneously pop a boner when you walk past

Hannelore

HSC
That will depend on the school as schools often have 'dress codes' for their staff.

My school insists on enclosed shoes for all staff - including females as well as low heels. Not all schools do the same.

If you are pracing in a private school professional dress will be more likely to be expected than in many public schools. Having taught in both I know the standard of dress in my private school has been much higher than it ever was in my public schools but ... that was a number of years back now.

I also would advise a longer length skirt for a female, unless you are going to take the option of slacks. I have had prac teachers who have turned up in mini-skirts and then been offended when teenage boys make comments so be a bit conservative.

I would advise finding out the name of the school asap and then approach the principal or your supervising teacher asap as well to find out - it will also impress them if you make an earlier approach than is absolutely required (from personal experience of supervising many prac students that sort of advance contact has always impressed me).
The enclosed shoes was a matter that I was particularly unsure about, so thank you for the input :) I will definitely err on the side of caution with enclosed then.

I'm...a little baffled to hear about prac teachers turning up in mini-skirts XD I thought common sense would dictate that it's not exactly appropriate in the classroom, but okay.

Unfortunately, I likely won't find out the name of the school until a week before practicum begins, and I really don't want to leave it until then. I guess it would be better to go for more smart/businessey just in case.

Thank you very much for the tips and input! :)

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
which subject btw- if ur doing arts/music u can get away by wearing jeans etc

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Again - that depends on the school.

There is no way that any teacher, other than PE, at my school would be allowed to wear anything like jeans. Our Art and Music teachers are expected to dress to the same standard as the rest of the school.

PE teachers are allowed to wear sports clothes - but if their timetable is theory for the day then they are also expected to wear the same standard as everyone else.

That is what I mean about individual schools having dress codes.

sourmilk

HSC
Well to get it out of the way, nothing low cut or too short etc etc because we don't want thirsty 14 year olds lusting af.

I recommend something simple like jeans, or short-healed boots or sneakers. Something comfortable especially for shoeware since you're standing majority of the time.
A nice basic shirt with a cardigan is ideal, don't try and be funky and get a witty shirt because kids are just rude. You can just wear a nice blouse or a long/short sleeved shirt with a pre lowkey pattern.
I'm not sure about skirts or dresses because of the dress code, but if you do get a skirt perhaps a pencil skirt and pair it up with some stockings, especially since summer is now.

Stores like Zara, Sportsgirl, Myer (Miss Shop is a gud brand, their shirts are really nice), Cotton On are pretty good for shirts. Esp the really simple looking ones. Bondi Junction westfield has all the stores ^^ if ya need to find
Platypus, Rubi Shoes (decent boots) for shoes
ALSO! Sportsgirl has really nice accessories, same with Lovisa

Irrelevant but, since it's your first prac I say try write on a whiteboard to see how your handwriting fairs out, honestly I remember this teacher started writing on the board and he penmanship was so horrible I can't, the words just drooped down and it was so illegible.

Last edited:

Hannelore

HSC
Again - that depends on the school.

There is no way that any teacher, other than PE, at my school would be allowed to wear anything like jeans. Our Art and Music teachers are expected to dress to the same standard as the rest of the school.

PE teachers are allowed to wear sports clothes - but if their timetable is theory for the day then they are also expected to wear the same standard as everyone else.

That is what I mean about individual schools having dress codes.
Yeah, I agree; I wouldn't risk jeans. Frankly, they're too hot in summer weather for me anyway :) I understand that opinions on jeans may vary depending on schools, but I'll definitely be avoiding them, at least for my first prac.

Hannelore

HSC
Well to get it out of the way, nothing low cut or too short etc etc because we don't want thirsty 14 year olds lusting af.

I recommend something simple like jeans, or short-healed boots or sneakers. Something comfortable especially for shoeware since you're standing majority of the time.
A nice basic shirt with a cardigan is ideal, don't try and be funky and get a witty shirt because kids are just rude. You can just wear a nice blouse or a long/short sleeved shirt with a pre lowkey pattern.
I'm not sure about skirts or dresses because of the dress code, but if you do get a skirt perhaps a pencil skirt and pair it up with some stockings, especially since summer is now.

Stores like Zara, Sportsgirl, Myer (Miss Shop is a gud brand, their shirts are really nice), Cotton On are pretty good for shirts. Esp the really simple looking ones. Bondi Junction westfield has all the stores ^^ if ya need to find
Platypus, Rubi Shoes (decent boots) for shoes
ALSO! Sportsgirl has really nice accessories, same with Lovisa

Irrelevant but, since it's your first prac I say try write on a whiteboard to see how your handwriting fairs out, honestly I remember this teacher started writing on the board and he penmanship was so horrible I can't, the words just drooped down and it was so illegible.
Too short has never been a problem for me because mini's aren't my style anyway XD

I think I'll avoid jeans for this first prac because they seem to be something that causes quite different opinions and frankly, I want to blend in as much as possible!

I'm super happy to hear you mention cardigans because that's something I'm quite happy wearing :)

Thank you so much for the store tips! Most are local to me so I doubt I'll end up trekking into the city, but it's nice to know about what's available in Bondi if I need to check elsewhere.

Also, thanks very much for the whiteboard tip! My handwriting whenever I have tried to write on a board has NEVER been good; always wonky and sometimes illegible D: I might purchase a cheap smallish whiteboard to practice since I definitely need to and I didn't think about it recently :)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Practising of a whiteboard is a good idea and if I may give some more advice - practice actually standing up and then walk away from the board and see how far away you can really see it.

I have seen many people try to write on a whiteboard and write way too small to begin with not realising just how large it needs to be (I was lucky as for my pracs I was in Primary schools in the old days of blackboards - even before the PC brigade renamed then chalkboards - and they have guide lines for writing - not so much for the teachers but for the students so they could see the relationship between the size of different letters but it helped me write a decent size from the very beginning of my career. Also - try out both printing and cursive as some people have really hard to read one or the other but really clear for the opposite.

ShadowLighte

HSC
Hello fellow student teacher, I'm doing my first prac lesson in about 2 months. From what I've gathered, business formal would be best which is what you've gathered already and I don't really think you can be too formal. So something like a blouse and black pants/ skirt with black leather shoes. T-shirts, singlets or strapless tops or anything that seems inappropriate/ suggestive aren't allowed.

I second Zara and Miss Shop, also Tokito in Myer. I'm pretty sure you'd have most of what you'll wear by now but when you go back to uni, everything will be cleared up. You could drive by schools about 10 minutes or so after the bell rings for the end of the day because a lot of teachers will be walking out and you can take note of their clothes. Best of luck with prac :)

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Yeah just dress pretty conservatively on the first day or two and after that you'll get a feel as to whether slightly more casual attire would be more appropriate. At my school everyone wore jeans lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)