Tips for the Cashier (2 Viewers)

bethxx

HSC
N/A
Has anyone in here workin as cashier at kmart/target/myer been thru the hectic xmast period?? It gets really annoying especially after the xmast where all the xmast stuffs are freakin discounted down till 10c and u cant just basically scan 1 item and use qty cos of different barcodes and all that..

I got freaked out when a customer comes up to me and bring all these xmast stuffs where i had to put all the similar ones together and the others seperate. Let me tell u my story.

This ol lady brought with her a basket full of xmast stuffs and i started seperating them according to their varieties. I started to lose my concentration when the queue starts to develop. She started to help me to make things faster but its just worse off cos she put some of them on top of the scanner and it really pissed me off cos u need to void and scan the item again. She did that several times and she started to tell me "why dont you count all the items and just scan it once and its done". I told her "I cant do that cos my manager wont let me and it affects the counting of stocks". Then she was like "Ok its your job, you know it better what should be done." Not long after, she TOLD ME THE SAME THING AGAIN. it was over and over and im dying to shut her mouth for good.

I cut myself as well when i din c that one of the figurines was chipped.

She really get on my nerves. she's probably the worst customer i ever experience.

Any tips how to manage these stupid chrismassy stuff? Its easy to lose concentration when you see queues developing..

HSC
bethxx said:
She did that several times and she started to tell me "why dont you count all the items and just scan it once and its done". I told her "I cant do that cos my manager wont let me and it affects the counting of stocks". Then she was like "Ok its your job, you know it better what should be done."
Possibly use some bullshit about not having a quantity button. The staff at woolworths don't, unless they are a supervisor.

bethxx said:
She really get on my nerves. she's probably the worst customer i ever experience.
If she's the worst customer that you've ever had, be grateful.

bethxx said:
Its easy to lose concentration when you see queues developing..
Just know that the queues are not your fault. Apologise to the customer for the queue, even if you don't mean it at all, just to acknowledge their frustration. Don't feel like you have to magically work ten times quicker to get them through, because as you've said, it does affect your concentration.

bethxx

HSC
N/A
Thanks babikakez i really appreciate your reply. Yea bullshit is the key! I reckon i get too carried away with the situation sometimes. Thats smth i should learn not to!

N-voe

HSC
Well- a month from then I am not a noob cashier anymore ;D

Thanks for all the input, you guys - have really helped with me getting used to working service at Coles!

Hmm...for reference, the PLUs I know at my particular Coles store (dunno if it's the same at the other ones)

1=bananas
2=tomatoes
3=potatoes
6=carrots
14=mushrooms
17=lemons
30=brocolli
4545=bok choi, buk choy, bak choy...
4045=cherries
4061=iceberg lettuce
5218=nectarines
4040, 5191 =peaches
5222= lebanese cucumber

...and they are the ones i can remember off the top of my head :rolleyes:
hope someone finds them useful!

greekgun

HSC
Well- a month from then I am not a noob cashier anymore ;D

Thanks for all the input, you guys - have really helped with me getting used to working service at Coles!

Hmm...for reference, the PLUs I know at my particular Coles store (dunno if it's the same at the other ones)

1=bananas
2=tomatoes
3=potatoes
6=carrots
14=mushrooms
17=lemons
30=brocolli
4545=bok choi, buk choy, bak choy...
4045=cherries
4061=iceberg lettuce
5218=nectarines
4040, 5191 =peaches
5222= lebanese cucumber

...and they are the ones i can remember off the top of my head :rolleyes:
hope someone finds them useful!
The most important for when u cant be stuffed calling up grocery for a price and want to make one up is 22000 and then enter the price or 21000 and then enter the price per kilo.

APCSfan

HSC
i hate those customers who come in pist and put it all on me :|

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
I usually tend to put the receipts in the bag rather than handing it to the customer.

Also, do you perform the eftpos transactions for them (barring PIN of course0? Or do you get them to swipe the cards themselves??

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I usually tend to put the receipts in the bag rather than handing it to the customer.

Also, do you perform the eftpos transactions for them (barring PIN of course0? Or do you get them to swipe the cards themselves??
i try get customers to swipe where possible, but i'd say 50% of the time i'm doing it for them

mitch179

HSC

I sometimes (providing i'm in a good mood) prefer to do the eftpos myself. The one thing is, while I'm swiping the card, I know what comes next so I ask them what account, and then I know whether to ask about cashout or not, so I'm always one step ahead of what the customer would be.

greekgun

HSC
I usually get the customer to swipe them most of the time ill do it myself to save heaps of time, and i give the receipt to the customer with the change ontop.

bdude

HSC
4593 is a good one to - Continental Cucumbers (or as I remember them as - wrapped ones)

I hate it when they go and change them. 4030 used to be kiwifruit and now its like 52887 or something. 4023 used to be red grapes and they've given them some other number to.

N-voe

HSC
4593 is a good one to - Continental Cucumbers (or as I remember them as - wrapped ones)

I hate it when they go and change them. 4030 used to be kiwifruit and now its like 52887 or something. 4023 used to be red grapes and they've given them some other number to.
AWw yucky!

I also hate it when you have several options for the same fruit. Except the one that you memorised just happens to be the one that hasn't been updated with the new price ._. so you have to keep using the search (as opposed to memorising a new 5-digit number). they did this last shift with the tomatoes QQ

bdude

HSC
I also hate it when you have several options for the same fruit. Except the one that you memorised just happens to be the one that hasn't been updated with the new price ._. so you have to keep using the search (as opposed to memorising a new 5-digit number). they did this last shift with the tomatoes QQ
I know! I got in trouble because I was entering the codes for Avocados as opposed to scan (they never scan anyway) because the price on the stickered avocados was 50c cheaper than the one on the fruit lookup screen and customers got upset.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
what? what is it? do you just type in 7110, then enter, then...what? can't you just do a dissection dump?

HSC
what? what is it? do you just type in 7110, then enter, then...what? can't you just do a dissection dump?
Yep.
Type in 7110, press enter, it asks you for the price.
Commonly used when people cbf waiting for supervisors for control check (and yes I know that they shouldn't do it, but it gets done at times).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)