Tips for the Cashier (1 Viewer)

HSC
townie said:
i used to be a coins on top, then switched after a customer came in and showed me the coins on bottom way, one point she made up is that older customers find it easier with arthritis and such, and we have a lot of them, so i switched, found customers tend to be more receptive to coins on bottom
Most people seem to put the coins on top, I've found.

N-voe

HSC
I suppose it's easier to put coins on the top as most cashiers say 20-30dollars and 55 cents.
as opposed to 55cents-20dollars and 55 -30 dollars and 55 cents @_@
hahaha XD

HSC
Oh, and if you know the plastic bags you have are shit, make sure you pack accordingly. Although the ones I had today seemed to break with only one three-litre milk in them.

CieL

HSC
ROFL I'm so picky with the bags!

I know which coloured ones are the nice ones and I always pick the ones with the nicer texture because they're easier to open..

Sometimes we get these rough ones which take forever to open then seem to have a bad static charge on them so the opening tends to close and you end up packing outside the bag..

So I tuck those at the bottom of the stack XD
Or else I go to the back and find a nice box to work with for the night.
Instant +5 scanrate.

HSC
CieL said:
ROFL I'm so picky with the bags!

I know which coloured ones are the nice ones and I always pick the ones with the nicer texture because they're easier to open..

Sometimes we get these rough ones which take forever to open then seem to have a bad static charge on them so the opening tends to close and you end up packing outside the bag..

So I tuck those at the bottom of the stack XD
Or else I go to the back and find a nice box to work with for the night.
Instant +5 scanrate.
I do the same thing, except my CSM only ever brings out two or three boxes and shares them out, so its likely that if I've got one shit box, so has everyone else.
And the scan rate thing is true.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
I really dont give a fuck with im working on the registers cause im so used to soe many fuckwits that ive lost hope in humanity.

IF i say hello and they dont even reply then expect to get shit service for the remainder of the process and im not gonna ask you for cahs out and if u anted it tough shit your gonna have to do it in another transaction.

on the other hand, if your pleasent, im willing to let you slide if your less then a dollar short and may throw in a few free things if the barcode is covered.

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
blakegman said:
I really dont give a fuck with im working on the registers cause im so used to soe many fuckwits that ive lost hope in humanity.

IF i say hello and they dont even reply then expect to get shit service for the remainder of the process and im not gonna ask you for cahs out and if u anted it tough shit your gonna have to do it in another transaction.

on the other hand, if your pleasent, im willing to let you slide if your less then a dollar short and may throw in a few free things if the barcode is covered.
i do that too lol :)

and i cbf manually typing it in/price check

mitch179

HSC
blakegman said:

OMG!
And I thought I was a bad cashier...

Not asking for cash out?
I don't care how shitty I've been treated by the customer, I still ask if they want cash out.

And throwing in free things? I'd be scared about losin my job if I got caught.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
mitch179 said:
OMG!
And I thought I was a bad cashier...

Not asking for cash out?
I don't care how shitty I've been treated by the customer, I still ask if they want cash out.

And throwing in free things? I'd be scared about losin my job if I got caught.
it's pretty easy to give away free stuff if you just do give it away, people only tend to get caught if they try hide the giving away e.g. by scanning then voiding, or no-saling, or price enquiries etc.

N-voe

HSC
Could someone tell me some really common PLUs for fruits and veg?
:D

HSC
^ ..... where do you work ..... ? lol

the other day after i did a heap of fruit and veg really quick, choosing the heaviest stuff first and just numbering them in without even thinking and chucking them in the bag the customer commented about how i obviously have all the numbers memorised lol

N-voe

HSC
HAhaha i work at Coles - but i am pretty sure that most of them are universal except for things like 1 for banana, 2 for tomato (?) etc
:uhhuh: XD

Kiim2507

HSC
Most importantly - Be friendly and polite
I used to work at Coles so now I sort of know what to expect when being served at checkouts and I hate it when the cashiers just mumble 'hi'. Speak clearly and loudly and ask the customer how they're going or how their day has been.

Say how much the total comes to and how much change you are giving back.

And at the end say thank you and/or have a nice day.

Don;t worry it'll only take you a couple of shifts to get the hang of it

Kiim2507

HSC
Oh and you can ask the customers what they prefer
E.g Do you want the washing powder in a bag?

And for packing, pack cold stuff together
Similar items together etc
Look ahead on the conveyer belt to see whats coming up

Don't pack bread with a bottle of coke or something =\

And don't take rude customers personally, and there are a lot of them out there
On my very first shift some old woman screamed at me for squashing her bread
I was like wtf =\

CieL

HSC
Kiim2507 said:
Don't pack bread with a bottle of coke or something =\
Unless that's all they bought and they don't mind having the two items together..

I sometimes just get a *wtf* moment when a customer buys two things and the staff automatically gives them a bag for each item... which would of easily fitted into one..

ekul444

HSC
N/A
like everyone here has said to count the change back to the customer. i have worked at woolies for over a year on checkouts and i have never ever counted the change back, is it really necessary?

HSC
ekul444 said:
like everyone here has said to count the change back to the customer. i have worked at woolies for over a year on checkouts and i have never ever counted the change back, is it really necessary?
YES
Prevents the customer from claiming that you gave the wrong change, also allows you to make sure that you are giving the correct change.
It also forms a part of Mode of Sale Assessments, if your store does them.

ekul444

HSC
N/A
babikakez said:
YES
Prevents the customer from claiming that you gave the wrong change, also allows you to make sure that you are giving the correct change.
It also forms a part of Mode of Sale Assessments, if your store does them.
actually thinking about it, i have had a couple of customers come back claiming to have the wrong change. ive never had a mode of sale assessment but i will definately try to remember to count the chnage back on my next shift.
im impressed, an experienced cashier is still picking up tips to improve, good discussion forum, keep up the good work helping out the newbies!

yoddle

is cool
HSC
I think everything has been covered here yo.

One thing i notice new ones doing is just sort of thrusting the receipt at the customer. Receipts are, for most customers, an annoying piece of rubbish by-product of going shopping, so the the least you should do is fold it up quickly and give it to them with their change, or put it in their bag (this old guy who comes in every night gradually trained me to do that by being really nice when i put it in his bag and grunting at me when i didn't). always fold it if its a big long one from a two hundred dollar lot of groceries.

yes and count back change!! trust me it saves horrible moments in the manager's office with a written warning on the desk because you gave some customer $100 accidently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)