tired after jogging 1 lap around the block (1 Viewer)

HSC
heys

ive started doing a little bit of exercise to try and get fit for uni.

So far im working on jogging to improve my speed and stamina.

Although, after just 1 lap of jogging, I seem to get extremely tired and I need to drink and take a few mins break till I start again.

Any tips on how I can avoid getting tired too easily, or is this the case with everyone?

Btw also, which time is the best to jog? coz sometimes I jog in the morning at about 8:30am - 9:00am/9:15am (that's if I wake up early). But if I wake up late and miss the morning session, I'd probably start at about 6:00pm or 6:30pm.

What do you guys think???

Pace_T

HSC
fit for uni?
i cant run 50 meters without dying and ive been at uni for 3 years now.

:p

savio23q

Band
HSC
Jogging around the block will help develop your stamina, but it won't help you gain speed. To gain speed you need to do explosive exerices that actually use speed.

A way to develop your stamina is through progressive overload. Start small. You can't expect to do 15 laps straight away. Do 1 or 2 laps with a light jog as a starting point. Then, as you get fitter, try improving on your time, or perhaps add more laps. Eventually, you'll notice an improvement. Maybe invest in a treamill later on? They're convenient for doing the math for you (km covered, time, calories, heart rate etc).

As for the time of day to go jogging, I would say early morning, before 9. If you can't wake up then after 6 or 7 is good, coz after the morning, that's the coolest part of the day.

boris

Banned
HSC
You have no idea what you are doing to you? Jogging around the block is what 50yr olds do to keep from dying. To actually increase stamina you need to run for atleast 30mins. To increase speed you need to go to an oval and sprint up and down it. Just dont bother you have no chance fatty

icelillies

In the twisted branches of the faraway tree
HSC
boris said:
You have no idea what you are doing to you? Jogging around the block is what 50yr olds do to keep from dying. To actually increase stamina you need to run for atleast 30mins. To increase speed you need to go to an oval and sprint up and down it. Just dont bother you have no chance fatty
I think a 50 yr old jogging round the block is more likely to have a heart attack than prolong life/health - is this 50 year old running from a gang???lol

Anyway - to build up on stamina - I usually run up different inclines (just start at a light jog and build yourself up to a run.
I also have a course that I run about 4-6 days a week - a track that measures about 6.4 kms. When I started out I would jog for 3 kms (If the the 1st km doesnt kill you than your home free) and walk the 3.4 home.
Jogging/running is great. But is your not up to it - fast walking for a couple of weeks (starting at 30 min and working your way up by 2 or 3 mins a week) is a good start.

Getting tired happens to everyone - from beginners to the more advanced. Although you should check out some on-line diet plans (so you know what your correct daily intake is) as you may be eating too little to have energy etc for your this new expenditure of energy.

Morning (for exercise) is apparently the best - but also before eating dinner (so aroung 5-6 pm) is also a great time. Most people exercise in the morning due to time restraints or the desire to lose weight (as most people haven't eaten and so will burn fat as opposed to calories the derived from meals throughout the day)...I read about this fitness instructor (due to his hectic schedual) exercised at midnight - I wonder what that did to his quality of sleep eh?

As for me it depends on whether I'm working or whether I want a sleep in *shrug*

BTW - Sorry about the length of this post :rolleyes:

Last edited:

boris

Banned
HSC
Nah im fairly sure exercise is essential to 50yr olds health too

you fraudin?

HSC
Jogging around the block isn't going to do jack shit for stamina or speed, you need to do endurance training if you want to see results.

that bloke

HSC
what the fuck? if you're coming off of a base level of 0 fitness, jogging 'around the block/oval' is as good a place as any to start.

I'd suggest swimming as a better option anyhow if you have access to a lane pool, or the beach. Incorporates a full lower to upper body workout, and works on improving lung capacity too when you try to increase the strokes/breath ratio.

Last edited:
HSC
icelillies said:
I think a 50 yr old jogging round the block is more likely to have a heart attack than prolong life/health - is this 50 year old running from a gang???lol

Anyway - to build up on stamina - I usually run up different inclines (just start at a light jog and build yourself up to a run.
I also have a course that I run about 4-6 days a week - a track that measures about 6.4 kms. When I started out I would jog for 3 kms (If the the 1st km doesnt kill you than your home free) and walk the 3.4 home.
Jogging/running is great. But is your not up to it - fast walking for a couple of weeks (starting at 30 min and working your way up by 2 or 3 mins a week) is a good start.

Getting tired happens to everyone - from beginners to the more advanced. Although you should check out some on-line diet plans (so you know what your correct daily intake is) as you may be eating too little to have energy etc for your this new expenditure of energy.

Morning (for exercise) is apparently the best - but also before eating dinner (so aroung 5-6 pm) is also a great time. Most people exercise in the morning due to time restraints or the desire to lose weight (as most people haven't eaten and so will burn fat as opposed to calories the derived from meals throughout the day)...I read about this fitness instructor (due to his hectic schedual) exercised at midnight - I wonder what that did to his quality of sleep eh?

As for me it depends on whether I'm working or whether I want a sleep in *shrug*

BTW - Sorry about the length of this post :rolleyes:
hey thanks for your post, It was very informative.

Yeah I think I will try to jog/run in the mornings more often, it seems like a better option. I still have a long time before uni starts so hopefully if I get some sort of routine happening, I would be able to improve on my jogging/running skils.

I used to play soccer two years ago and I used to like run the 800m lap twice for training, so running isn't that a new thing for me. It's just that I haven't done it for quite some time.

I'm gonna try and get a new bike soon aswell, so some biking should also help me improve my stamina.

Btw u seem like a really fit person... :p

Yeah anyways, thanks for your advice.

Last edited:
HSC
that bloke said:
what the fuck? if you're coming off of a base level of 0 fitness, jogging 'around the block/oval' is as good a place as any to start.

I'd suggest swimming as a better option anyhow if you have access to a lane pool, or the beach. Incorporates a full lower to upper body workout, and works on improving lung capacity too when you try to increase the strokes/breath ratio.
yeah good advice. I normally get a full body exercise when I swim.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
swimmings a good way. seriously just go to the pool and do as many laps as you can, next time do more. great workout.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
回复: Re: tired after jogging 1 lap around the block

Pace_T said:
fit for uni?
i cant run 50 meters without dying and ive been at uni for 3 years now.

:p
the steps on the main walkway are pretty awesome, i can gain exercise in 2 dimensions at least

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
gibbo153 said:
swimmings a good way. seriously just go to the pool and do as many laps as you can, next time do more. great workout.
I'd like to start swimming, but I'm not sure if it would do any good. I'm lightweight, but my heart and lungs are that weak now I could barely swim 50m continously without feeling like vomiting. My heart starts pounding, my breathing gets desperate, my head gets faint. Would it still have any benefit?

At least I can jog mabye a k, which is surely more productive. If jogging around the block is hard, then I don't think you'd be ready for swimming.

that bloke

HSC
Graney said:
I'd like to start swimming, but I'm not sure if it would do any good. I'm lightweight, but my heart and lungs are that weak now I could barely swim 50m continously without feeling like vomiting. My heart starts pounding, my breathing gets desperate, my head gets faint. Would it still have any benefit?

At least I can jog mabye a k, which is surely more productive. If jogging around the block is hard, then I don't think you'd be ready for swimming.
if you mean 50m of freestyle, thats fine. just do as many laps as you can, then switch to breaststroke or something else which you can normally do for yonks, switch back to freestyle when you're ready, switch back etc. Take quick rests between freestyle sets or whatever. Go at least a few times a week and you'll be surprised how quickly 2 laps becomes 3,4,5,6 etc. And the swimming will do your lungs a million more favours than just jogging. I play footy in winter and running around has never seemed to do me much good in the lung capacity stakes, but the swimming does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)