Titration Indicators (1 Viewer)

scardizzle

Salve!
HSC
Hey BOS, this may sounds like a stupid question but in what circumstances would i not use phenolphthalein as my indicator in a titration?

According to wiki: An acid-base titration is the determination of the concentration of an acid or base by exactly neutralizing the acid/base with an acid or base of known concentration.

In that case wont the pH we're looking for always be 7? So in what circumstances would I need to use something like bromethyl blue etc. ?

Any input is appreciated.

MetroMattums

HSC
When it's a weak-acid/base titration - in which case the pH would be over 7, or when it's a acid/weak-base titration - in which the case would be under 7.

If it's a weak-acid/weak-base titration there is no equivalence point because not enough acid is neutralised by the base

nawor_

HSC
N/A
the salt formed from the neutralisation may be acidic/basic/neutral which effects the resultant pH

MetroMattums

HSC
the salt formed from the neutralisation may be acidic/basic/neutral which effects the resultant pH
wtf?

Salt isn't formed from neutralisation, it's formed from an acid reacting with a metal..

nawor_

HSC
N/A
acid + base = salt + water

Last edited:

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
A weak acid + weak base are never used in a titration because they are constantly ionising and trying to reach equilibrium

nat_doc

HSC
A weak acid + weak base are never used in a titration because they are constantly ionising and trying to reach equilibrium
this means that there is no definitive "end point" and you cannot use indicators/ titration to find out its concentration.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)