TMAT! The Martial Arts Thread (1 Viewer)

FlyinTyger

HSC
from his other martial arts i'd guess he was doing japanese jujitsu

only cos his other ones are jap as well

shiny

The Shiny One
HSC
N/A
my friends and i are planning to take up martial arts after the hsc, but the thing is, we dont know wot to do. theres so many different types as well...
i have a crapload of martial arts clips and samplers from national opens (or wotever u call it) and i wish i could just do some of the aerial kicks and stuff like them.

wot type of martial art focuses on speed, and does include those droolworthy jump kicks? (plus how long does it take to get to black belt for that type)

oh btw, does anyone know where to learn staff?

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
sounds like u just wanna learn it to show off, tae kwon do is the way to go

shiny

The Shiny One
HSC
N/A
:(
well martial arts does have its practicalities, like exercise, discipline and MOST IMPORTANTLY self defence :D

but more or less, yes, it is to show off.

if u think about it, doing three 540° kicks and then doing some uber 1200° butterfly of the shaolin temple dragon tiger fist tail kick and then landing on ur head will have a better effect on ur opponents without having to touch them. (they can all run away)

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
in video games yes that may be the case, but in reality you'll probly get stabbed

shiny

The Shiny One
HSC
N/A
lmao yeh i think i went overboard with the example.
but nevertheless, tae kwon do is still self defence right? because i really do hope they teach u how to counter knife attacks and such

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
*crickets chirping* most likely the one that you'll check out would be a sport tkd dojang so.... you can figure the rest out

rishi

Hey mate, sorry for the late reply =P

Yes i train with elvis & anthony, training is by the BEST in australia and way better than the brazilian black belts ive seen. Thats just my opinon, there are no ego's at the gym its really cool and fun and a bunch of great guys. shoot me an email and i'l hook you up! sosinky@yahoo.com.au

Charon.

HSC
N/A
I do taekwondo. Im a 1st dan black belt. And ive been doin it for at least 3 and a half years.

somborac

HSC
i do judo, been doing it around 7 years, won medals at nationals etc.

Atotoi

Beetroot Strudel Anyone??
HSC
I used to do Tae-Kwon do, but that was before high school, i got to blue belt red tip.
I was a fat poonce back then, but Tae-Kwon do taught me discipline and stuff, so im happy i did it.

My arnis teacher told me in year 10 not to be a bruce lee when surrounded by a group.. he filled me with constant anecdotes about fighting yada yada yada.
Arnis was cool...i wish i did more..

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
shiny said:
lmao yeh i think i went overboard with the example.
but nevertheless, tae kwon do is still self defence right? because i really do hope they teach u how to counter knife attacks and such

Do they teach you that you most likely WILL get cut?

Have you ever got rubber knives and had someone try to attack you all out while you defend and counter?

Malevolence

Oh so cool
HSC
N/A
Yes, sorry, I do Japanese Jujutsu, alike all the martial arts I do are Japanese. They complement each other... some of the terminology comes in handy and some of the techniques are similar in a couple of instances... It works for me

PS. Sorry about the time it took me to get back, my computer has been broken for ages :(

Malevolence

Oh so cool
HSC
N/A
We do defence techniques with rubberm or wooden knife weapons called a 'tanto'. we learn how to disarm and how to counter a strike

mr phil

HSC
nice place to meet keen martial artists. seems that some people in this thread haven't done their art any justice by showing disrespect to the various styles. Taekwondo is not shit, just different to your martial art (to whoever said it was shit i don't remember). With that said heres my little profile
Style: Viet Quyen Dao. Another vietnamese form, tho i've dabbled in abit of boxing and judo.
Venue: Bankstown PCYC
How long?: around 12 years

to any Vovinam students, can anyone tell me if you guys would hold a tournament with us? just an idea.. i mean im sure you guys get bored of fighting eachother, so do we.

one more thing, does anyone else do their own choreography? like martial arts movie stuff. check out www.zgstunts.com to see what i mean.

zeropoint

HSC
I'm personally a fan of japanese martial arts. Curently I practice bujinkan style ninjutsu, which is similar to japanese jujutsu, except with more of an emphasis on pressure point attacks and weapons training. I've temporarily put training on hold until some friends of mine get back from overseas, however I usually practice at a dojo held at chatswood public school.

Malevolence

Oh so cool
HSC
N/A
ha ha, youlive near me then. i was sussing out dim mak pressure point fighting a bit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)