to cliche? (1 Viewer)

T

Testpilot

nichhhole said:
I'd usually let it slide, but considering you're doing EE2...
it's
'too cliche?'
as opposed to
'to cliche?'

:)
If you're going to pick apart somebody's grammar then you should at least correct it properly. It should read "too cliché"

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
I'm not saying you shouldn't do the writing exercises, I'm just saying that in my experience, nothing beats just setting an hour or two aside a day and just writing the first thing that comes to mind.

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
Testpilot said:
If you're going to pick apart somebody's grammar then you should at least correct it properly. It should read "too cliché"
I considered that, but it was too much effort finding the character...
And i thought that i should start on the basics first, as opposed to being overly cavillous.
However, you are correct.

BayLee

HSC
No Offense, all stories with themes of suicide, abuse or mental illness are overused, CLICHED and boooorrring. The markers are looking for something with a hint of originality - try coming up with something more sophisticated, not so predictable that is not going to leave the responder feeling depressed and angry for wasting the last 20 mins of their time reading total rubbish.
I'm not trying to be rude or narky but so many people on all these forums are expressing these concepts as the basis for the MW.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Look even if a topic is cliched, if you're a good writer it doesn't matter how cliched the topic is, the language makes it interesting.

But yes I do agree that those themes should be avoided by EE2 kiddies because they aren't fantastically experienced.

BayLee

HSC
Everything has been done before, nothing is original - but some concepts have been used more than others. If you can come up with an amazingly unique take on an exceptionally overdone concept then yes, you will get GOOD marks - but thats challenging, with a far greater risk of failing than suceeding. Imagine if you did an amazingly unique take on a not so overdone concept - you would get GREAT marks ---> I know I'd rather the latter.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
If you can make something cliched absolutely fascinating then it takes a lot more creativity in my opinion.

However, sticking to what you know and making sure it's not cliched is probably a good bet for EE2 kiddies.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Testpilot said:
Could have sworn that was punctuation.

marthastuart

HSC
That particular topic is over done purely because people try to be conversational or controversial, but fail. It all depends on what angle is taken, writing from the Abuser's perspective is something rarely done whilst writing third person or first person with flashbacks seems to be the main convention.

jimmayyy

HSC
every teacher/former ee2 marker/mentor i have spoken to has told me the same thing when it comes to cliches;

try and stay away from them, but at the end of the day, a well written but cliched peice will still score well, where as a poorly written attempt at being original will not

point im making is it all depends on how well you can write, first and foremost.

TDjie

♥ Hello ♥
HSC
In all honesty, I don't think it's cliche. You can start with the most simplistic idea/concept and own it. What does that mean? Make it into something intricate, with detail, personal, make it voice what you want to say and what you want to explore. I love the idea of EE2, that you can begin with the most simple concept and mould it into what you feel best. Do note though that you should be able to present a more in depth written piece than just a background storyline, dialogue and characters... even if the subject of choice may be a little cliche, you can always make it so it's not if you enjoy writing and have your own personal style.

Oxytocin

HSC
Erm...well what is your critical concept? What are you trying to say with your story, because if all in all, there is a concept which you're tryign to convey through that plot, and you do it well, then it should be fine.

However, if you don't have an original and interesting critical concept, and you're just writing that for the sake of writing SOMETHING...then, it really is far too cliche for Ext 2...or even for English Advanced (sorry to be harsh, but I'd rather be honest).

You really need to get something with more depth happening...but for a first draft, you're better off writing whatever you've got and then moulding things from there.

marthastuart

HSC
jimmayyy said:
every teacher/former ee2 marker/mentor i have spoken to has told me the same thing when it comes to cliches;

try and stay away from them, but at the end of the day, a well written but cliched peice will still score well, where as a poorly written attempt at being original will not

point im making is it all depends on how well you can write, first and foremost.
Exactly. Unless, like, you write something overly cliched and horrible like the OC, which screams fail.

lambeychops

HSC
Im having the same problem! Story writing i reckon is harder than essays! the whole problem is this cliché situation im trying to think of a story that isn’t cliché has a surprise ending and gets the reader! Not bloody well working lol
Any ideas on a good site to find any examples?
xx Alex

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
lambeychops said:
Im having the same problem! Story writing i reckon is harder than essays! the whole problem is this cliché situation im trying to think of a story that isn’t cliché has a surprise ending and gets the reader! Not bloody well working lol
xx Alex
Examples of other short stories?

Read Hemingway.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
lambeychops said:
xx Alex
You don't need to "get the reader". Twist endings are great to pull off, but I'd much rather read something that entertains me well as opposed to something that has a twist ending but is mediocre.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
You don't need to "get the reader". Twist endings are great to pull off, but I'd much rather read something that entertains me well as opposed to something that has a twist ending but is mediocre.
Agreed.

You don't need a gimmick or a twist ending, which can seem pretty crappy but at the same time it has to have a "point", something that the reader can take away. No matter how insignificant, we need to be rewarded for reading it.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Tulipa said:
Agreed.

You don't need a gimmick or a twist ending, which can seem pretty crappy but at the same time it has to have a "point", something that the reader can take away. No matter how insignificant, we need to be rewarded for reading it.
Listen to Tulipa; she knows what she's talking about (I'd like to think I do too, but I'm not going to say it outright). Go for smart dialogue, interesting characters and underlying themes to the work before you start looking at gimmicks. If your readers can't remember anything about your work, chances are your markers will reward you accordingly.

You're going to go through draft after draft before you even get to the final idea (and even then, you'll be looking at multiple re-writes). For every story idea that I've managed to translate into a finished product, there have been half a dozen that have fallen by the wayside owing to various reasons. Plots don't work, themes can't be incorporated into the story and still come in under the word limit, writer's block means pieces won't get finished, etc. But if there's one mortal sin that you absolutely cannot commit, it's deliberately writing to the word limit. Once that 8000-word mark (or however many it is) comes up, you'll start to wrap things up, and the problem is that your ending falls well short of the standard you established with the rest of the work. Sit down and write, and keep writing until you finish the story. If you go over the word limit, you can cut it down to size or do a re-write of parts. After all, that's the virtue of editing. Make sure you get someone to proof-read it before you do so, though. On that note, don't go to an immediate family member, I find they have a tendency not to offer constructive criticisms properly and may lie about it outright to stop you from feeling as if you've wasted your time.

Oxytocin

HSC
Hmmm...I unno twists are pretty good...I mean...as long as they're done well...

Characters and smart dialogue just aren't good enough unless you're saying something really 'smart' (a.k.a pretentious drivel) through that...I mean, writing a story is one thing, writing a story for Ext 2 is another...
And easy for you to talk about cutting down when your story isn't (probably) 15 000 words -_- ...at 9000 words, even my teacher doesn't know what to cut out anymore.

lambeychops

HSC
i ended up doing a twist ending
couple in love chick has cancer guy dies before she does in car crash on way to see her
but you dont find out she has the cancer till the end
i hate short stories!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)