to cliche? (1 Viewer)

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Oxytocin said:
Hmmm...I unno twists are pretty good...I mean...as long as they're done well...

Characters and smart dialogue just aren't good enough unless you're saying something really 'smart' (a.k.a pretentious drivel) through that...I mean, writing a story is one thing, writing a story for Ext 2 is another...
And easy for you to talk about cutting down when your story isn't (probably) 15 000 words -_- ...at 9000 words, even my teacher doesn't know what to cut out anymore.
By 'intelligent characters' I don't mean 'pretentious drivel'. For example, if, for some reason, the lights go out and everyone is plunged into darkness, don't have someone say "Oh, the lights went out" or question what just happened ...

Nyao

HSC
Uh, well, everyone else seems to have it covered. I'd ask to see some of what you've actually written but I realise how positively criminal that sounds (I never did before joining here, so there goes another thin layer of my innocence).

Personally I'm against the idea of changing between first and third person. There doesn't seem to be any subtle, consistent way to do it. Or any good way, for that matter, as far as I know (which isn't very far, admittedly). You might try introducing a very personal style of third person. I'm not a fan of actually writing what a character is thinking -- you know, 'show don't tell' and all that -- but sometimes this can be a good way to introduce a tiny bit of first-person and if you've violated your own word limit maybe a bit of telling and not showing will help.

Additionally, miss lambeychops, did you do a lot of research on cancer? I was of the idea that once treatment for it began it was kinda obvious through a few symptoms that the person in question, well... had cancer.

Erdkunde

HSC
Girl leaving home, being abused and returning home is cliched.

Girl leaving home, being abused by a giant talking banana and returning home...isn't.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Erdkunde said:
Girl leaving home, being abused and returning home is cliched.

Girl leaving home, being abused by a giant talking banana and returning home...isn't.
It can be construed to be however.
Observe;

giant talking banana -> hallucinogen usage
hallucinogen usage -> drug references
drug references -> teen abused and doing dergssss
teen abused and doing dergssss -> cliche

amberelizabeth

HSC
Why on earth are you doing Extension Two English if you cannot decipher between your 'to' and 'too'.
Dear Me.

sapoi

HSC
carissa. said:
hey, just wondering if you thought a story on a girl taken away from home, getting abused and trying to find her way bak home is to cliche?

HEY.. AWW YOUR TOPIC WOULD BE INTERESTING YET NOT WISE ENOUGH TO BE DESCRIBED ABOUT FOR AN EXT 2 PROJECT!! IF U CAN DRAG YOUR CONCEPT ABOUT THE 'ABUSE' ETC FOR 25 PAGES OR SO THEN GOOD LUCK! DW THOUGH JUST TRY YOUR BEST BECAUSE IT'S REALLLLY TOUGH TO CREATE A SHORT STORY THAT WON'T END UP BEING CLICHE_______________________!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)