To drop or not to drop EX1 (1 Viewer)

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Hi, I'm asking this as a favour for my friend:

Her problem is that she is doing really well in EX1 (1st/6) and she doesn't know whether she should keep it or drop it. She is doing fairly well in her other subjects, but she does not want to have the burden of 13 units in Year 12 (as she is doing Chinese Background Speakers at Saturday School).

Her reasons for dropping EX1 would be because of the workload. On the other hand, her reasons for keeping EX1 would be because of the scaling.

I have advised her to keep it as she is doing extremely well in it and I can really see her doing it in Year 12, but she doesn't know if she will be committed to it. She just wants a second opinion and I told her that I'd ask the nice people on BoS to help (and 'cause I'm biased towards maths and scaling :))

Her other subjects and rankings are:

Maths 2U: 22/69
English 2U: 9/37
Business Studies: =1/
Japanese: 6th or 7th / 12
English 3U: 1/6
Maths 3U: 9/17
Chinese Background Speakers: 4/29

Thanks.

jazzbaby

HSC
well why doesnt she just keep it
and if it gets too much in yr 12 she can always drop it then

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:

Her problem is that she is doing really well in EX1 (1st/6) and she doesn't know whether she should keep it or drop it. She is doing fairly well in her other subjects, but she does not want to have the burden of 13 units in Year 12 (as she is doing Chinese Background Speakers at Saturday School).

Her reasons for dropping EX1 would be because of the workload. On the other hand, her reasons for keeping EX1 would be because of the scaling.

I have advised her to keep it as she is doing extremely well in it and I can really see her doing it in Year 12, but she doesn't know if she will be committed to it. She just wants a second opinion and I told her that I'd ask the nice people on BoS to help (and 'cause I'm biased towards maths and scaling :))

Thanks.
Her move to drop EX would be extremely stupid in that case. I may sound biased but that's just what I am like towards this particular scenario. In terms of workload, in my point of view, Mathematics Extension 1 would easily exceed the EX1. If she does not mind the subject and if she is performing relatively well, why drop it? Tell her to drop a subject that she has the least interest for. The amount of workload should not be the primary reason why she drops the subject. Yes, my point of view is extremely subjective but that's just my opinion.

HSC
hey, doc jolly!
thanks for submitting the question :D
then should i drop anything like chinese background since im not chinese(mando) background anywaY?
o and thanks people for replying so fast :D

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
☆ said:
hey, doc jolly!
thanks for submitting the question :D
then should i drop anything like chinese background since im not chinese(mando) background anywaY?
o and thanks people for replying so fast :D
Hey "star". Nice to see you on BoS.
As I've said, I think you should do what I'm doing, see how you go in Year 12 before dropping anything. That's what I'm doing with Japanese - bloody waste of time :burn:

HSC
haha, but then i don't have much interest in ext. eng...
Doctor Jolly said:
Hey "star". Nice to see you on BoS.
As I've said, I think you should do what I'm doing, see how you go in Year 12 before dropping anything. That's what I'm doing with Japanese - bloody waste of time :burn:

HSC
but then the thing is, i think it was just luck coz the ranking was based only on one assessment task and all the other work we have to submit in, i get an average mark only...

HSC
but i like jap and chinese. the course is alright but then the work load really puts you off and every tiem that happens, i lose interest in it. it's been happening all year
Charity F said:
Maybe you should consider dropping Jap? You're doing better in Chinese.

EE1 is a lot of work for one unit, even though you do keep within the same elective for the whole year. It's much more challenging than English and I found there was an extensive amount of literary theory to read through.

But seeing as you're doing excellent in it, I'd recommend you didn't drop it. Are you planning on doing EE2? Drop the subject you don't feel enough motivation for.

I'm doing 13 units for the HSC, and yes, it is a lot of work. But you deal with it.

edit: well if you don't have much of an interest for it, then maybe do consider dropping it. What is it about the course that doesn't interest you? It really does make English all the less stressful though.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
You'd be crazy to drop 'star' :). Keep extension, maintain that number 1 ranking, and I'm sure that'll contribute positively a lot towards your HSC.

12o9

HSC
Doctor Jolly said:

Thanks.
Keep it for one term and see how it goes, then you'll still have the opportunity to keep the subject if you begin to enjoy it again =). But then if you don't, you can pretty much drop it mid way i think.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
☆ said:
haha, still considering, havent completely decided yet
Well you have to take into consideration; do you really enjoy the subject? Because that's the main factor you should be looking at. From your rankings you look like you're completely capable of doing Extension English, but if you are just doing it on scaling I'd drop it. However if you are doing it because you like it... I'd keep it.

I dropped extension english, and that was the best thing I ever did, because I chose extension english based on Scaling, and I did not enjoy it, however if you enjoy it, then keep it.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
the-derivative said:
Well you have to take into consideration; do you really enjoy the subject? Because that's the main factor you should be looking at. From your rankings you look like you're completely capable of doing Extension English, but if you are just doing it on scaling I'd drop it. However if you are doing it because you like it... I'd keep it.

I dropped extension english, and that was the best thing I ever did, because I chose extension english based on Scaling, and I did not enjoy it, however if you enjoy it, then keep it.
HI-5! I did that too. But I kept with it for the whole year. I can't wait to drop it!

10 weeks of EX1 English left! :hammer:

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Aerath said:
Haha....enjoy it whilst it last? :p
My deputy principal actually told us to 'enjoy the pain', but I can't. I hate EX1! Me and 'star' have the same teacher ('cause we go to the same school) and I think she'll know exactly what I mean in the terms of workload for EX1.

10 more weeks. I hum that to myself before I sleep.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
My deputy principal actually told us to 'enjoy the pain', but I can't. I hate EX1! Me and 'star' have the same teacher ('cause we go to the same school) and I think she'll know exactly what I mean in the terms of workload for EX1.

10 more weeks. I hum that to myself before I sleep.
Why don't you just quit now?
Quit as quick as you can. I'm a huge supporter for people quitting extension english.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)