Tony Abbott new opposition leader (2 Viewers)

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
What you fail to understand is the ETS isn't going to help fight climate change, the government is going about it the wrong way. Renewable energy is the only method that is going to secure our future as well as make effective indents into our carbon emissions. The Howard government were going to institute one by 2012 and it is the same with Rudd, both parties are just opposing for the sake of opposing rather than seeing the big picture and going for long-term improvement rather than short-term.
The ETS is just a market based way to speed that process up (i.e make renewable options more viable)...

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Depends, if you actually believe in freedom its massive. If you're just a greedy person who hides behind the facade of being a libertarian, nothing.

not having the ever loving shit taxed out of everything you own/do = freedom

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
I didn't know where Howard stood, he told me he was going to keep interest rates at record lows, he told me the GST was dead and burried, he told me, He told me that they were throwing the children overboard to force a rescue. Whatever defences of John Howard one might be able to make transparency was not one of them.
This isn't a pissing contest, they're both rubbish, I don't like either of them.

My point was, that your aligning yourself with Labor based on compassion for refugees is ridiculous. Rudd is a monster.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
Absolutely, why would they get out of bed otherwise, they could make more money in the private sector.

You're going to have to compromise your conscience occasionally whatever job you do.

Jaylee42003

HSC
um, idk if anyone else thinks this (i havent the time nor energy to read all previous posts), but I am kind of over all this liberal party leadership crap. I'm OVER it. And with only 1 vote, Abbot will be out soon enough. I just Facepalm everytime I hear about it. And I am (/was...) a Liberal supporter. I would of preferrred Joe Hockey but meh. This stuff is fucked right now.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Senator Troeth speaking in favour of the CPRS. Will cross the floor.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Tony Abbott is a creep, are they nuts??? At least Joe Hockey is down to earth and has charisma. If pushed he could appeal and seem relatable to the masses in the same way Kim Beazley did for Labour (didn't do them much good electorially though...). Even Turnball, despite the fact he reeked of elitism, could actually pass as a human being. Abbott will make the Liberal Party seem even more out of touch with the everyday concerns and general views of the Australian people.
Because being down to earth and having charisma are the chief considerations?
What person on earth votes for someone based on their charisma. God, I hope the majority of us aren't that pathetic.
I don't think Abbott will hold the position for very long, but I'd say it's his overt and permeative religious beliefs that make him an unpopular future PM, not his lack of charisma, lol.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Not into politics, but I was unlucky enough to attend school with one of Tony Abbott's daughters, Francis. This is what happened when I met her...

Francis: Hi, you must be Alex. I'm Francis.
Me: Oh, hi!
Francis: Francis Abbott.

*silence*

Francis: My dad's Tony Abbott.
Me: *silence*
Francis: The politician.
Me: *silence*
Francis: He's really famous, I bet your dad would know him.
Me: Oh, maybe.
Francis: Your dad probably wants to be my dad. Everyone loves him.
Me: Oh.
Francis: Is your dad rich like mine? We get to go on holidays for free.
Me: *backing away slowly*

She was so into herself. Eckh.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Senator Boyce will also cross the floor.

Both Boyce and Troeth have spoke strongly in favour of nuclear.

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
With 2 Coalition senators crossing the floor, the Greens are now essentially responsible for the defeat of the CPRS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)