Top 120 Schools 2003 (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Fort was 16 last year as well, wasn't it? I have two confirmed .95ers, definitely more to come. Ok maybe not definitely, but probably.

dumbugger

Originally posted by phenol
depends, if you wanna end JR's monopoly - EASY, just chop the science syllabus by another 30%, make it completely essay based.
Oh and make you write 10 mark essays for 4u maths.
And make 2U Eng advanced harder.

North Sydney Girls will overtake them easily

The rankings dont reflect much, getting above 90 uai is piss easy if you try. Does not at all reflect the dude/school is smart

And girls outperforming guys, that's also "media-play" creating controversy. It only shows girls are better crammers and perhaps wont get bored by reading jibberish from Jacqueranda Physics for an hour straight. Not many guys can do that (perhaps when it's a week before the HSC) ...
LOL very nicely said comrade

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
mm fort was 16th last year... yet 12th this year?

ehehe our grade's gunna do fort proud... aim for 8th! :D

Wohzazz

HSC
depends, if you wanna end JR's monopoly - EASY, just chop the science syllabus by another 30%, make it completely essay based.
Oh and make you write 10 mark essays for 4u maths.
And make 2U Eng advanced harder.

North Sydney Girls will overtake them easily

The rankings dont reflect much, getting above 90 uai is piss easy if you try. Does not at all reflect the dude/school is smart

And girls outperforming guys, that's also "media-play" creating controversy. It only shows girls are better crammers and perhaps wont get bored by reading jibberish from Jacqueranda Physics for an hour straight. Not many guys can do that (perhaps when it's a week before the HSC) ...
I agree but that will be deliberately biased towards the girls school- i mean they are more language talented
We could reduce the amount of essays and reduce the hardness of Eng adv to advantage boys, then we'll see maybe nsbhs take 2nd place
Ultimately leaving every as it is not much schools can match JR's standard of teaching and students

Son_e_boy

James Ruse and many other selective schools will always be top for one simple reason: they have a monopoly on the most talented students in the state. From day one they select the best students.

So the rankings don't show anything about how "good" a school is or how well they teach, just how many smart people go there.

Last edited:

doma

rite...
HSC
Originally posted by Son_e_boy
James Ruse and many other selective schools will always be top for one simple reason: they have a monopoly on the most talented students in the state. From day one they select the best students.

So the rankings don't show anything about how "good" a school is or how well they teach, just how many smart people go there.

yup its perpetual(sp?)

MoNNiE

HSC
nah you introduce a wider selection of subjects into JR!

they, along with several top academic schools.. only allow high scalling subjects into their syllabus

phenol

Argonaute
HSC
Originally posted by MoNNiE
nah you introduce a wider selection of subjects into JR!

they, along with several top academic schools.. only allow high scalling subjects into their syllabus
You beat your enemy by trying harder or using a different strategy, not by expecting your enemy to screw up :D

All I can conclude from this is, 100 UAI, top school - all of these are overrated. UAI is not a reflection of one's success in life or his/her intelligence.

I agree there's some smart cookies in JR, but we cant deny the fact that most of the others are crammers with only a mediocre IQ.

Last edited:

MoNNiE

HSC
lol.. oh yes.. true! but one can only hope they would screw up..! not that i want to curse.. them..they tried their best! and so this is the result!

cramming is like part of everyones study routine!

phenol

Argonaute
HSC
Originally posted by MoNNiE
cramming is like part of everyones study routine!
yep i totally agree w/ you! But dont you think the current education system is bad? To many students, the UAI means almost everything ... are we studying for the marks? or are we studying for the knowledge?

By crammer i mean these top UAI guys just study for the marks which I personally think is pathetic and a waste of valuable time.

I hope the system can change so we study for the KNOWLEDGE and marks being of lesser importance (surely this wont happen in the near future, purely hypothetical).

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by rukawasan
minai i missed it... can u tell me why the smh ranking is bs?
Originally posted by Wohzazz
SMH must have a way of ranking that differs from the way telegraph ranks
From what i see the telegraph ranks seem less plausible as all the 'good' schools have dropped massively from last yr, say fort, sbhs
And baulk dropped like 5 place while nsbhs jumped like 5 along with sghs
The ranks are BS from SMH because they ranked based on number of merit list mentions, so obviously larger schools will be ranked higher
The Daily Telegraph ranks are more accurate because they take the merit list mentions, divided by the number of exams sat, which makes it fairer for smaller schools

tempco

HSC
I think one is by percentage while the other is by numbers... percentage would be a better reflection of the school's position.

Wohzazz

HSC
OH, i c
I've been relying on SMH too much, can i still get the telegraph?

yep i totally agree w/ you! But dont you think the current education system is bad? To many students, the UAI means almost everything ... are we studying for the marks? or are we studying for the knowledge?

By crammer i mean these top UAI guys just study for the marks which I personally think is pathetic and a waste of valuable time.

I hope the system can change so we study for the KNOWLEDGE and marks being of lesser importance (surely this wont happen in the near future, purely hypothetical).
Phenol nice idea but it will never work even if considered
I admit that studying for the marks is not good, but there is no absolutely fair way to test students
The current HSC system does have some merit- i mean it tests dedication, consistency, memory and performance under pressure
The student must understand and gain knowledge to a certain degree to achieve
Seen from this way, i think the system is to a reasonable degree, fair

Originally posted by Son_e_boy

True, though teaching may not be in reality 'better', the environment is better. You get to associate with people of your academic standard and teachers feel more happy and willing to work for enthusiastic and concerned students
And yes, some intelligence is measure by such tests ( i mean the selective tests) except on some rarer occasions

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
ha...high did worse than grammer at rugby and academics...what honour have they got left??

nerdd

I must be blind because I can't find the ranks.. in the tele or smh.
i looked on all possible page 22s.
where are they?!

Wohzazz

HSC
LOL if you got the saturday herald, you should of got a liftout called HSC HONOUR ROLL
not sure bout telegraph, i want to buy it

nerdd

nope... still don't see it?
i got the honour roll.
but no "TOP 120 SCHOOLS" rank list..

what's the page no.?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)