• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Top 'speed' done and where? (1 Viewer)

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
Valeu said:
180, then the JDM ecu's speed limiter cut in.. I still had 5th gear left to go.
yeah, i hit 175 in my '95 corolla with the overdrive still to go (yup, thats an auto corolla) on the M4. didnt have enough room/downhill at the time to see if i could hit 200 in my overdrive gear and had to slow down cos i thought i saw a cop. then i realised that the probability of seeing a cop at 4am is a little too low, but by then it was too late to reaccelerate.

it took a while though, but only because i have installed a pod filter and the fag that installed it took off the front pipe that leads to the old air filter, so i had to hit 175 with my pod encased in metal and wiring. pretty sure i would have clocked my speedo with that extra piece of plastic, but i keep on thinking that the wreckers are going to want something ridiculous for it, like $50 :worried:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
you calling driving 70km/hr over the speed limit not that bad?

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
depends on the situation. 100 KM/h over the limit on the M4 isnt enough, personally. its just that my car takes too long to reach that, so i'm contempt with a minimum of 50km/h over the limit. but 120 in a 50 zone? come on, almost every street nowadays is 50km/h! sure, 120 is alot, but i've hit 110 in 50 zones (redlining second gear- and that doesnt take long to do in alot of cars)
and 120 isnt that far off. but like i said in the other post, it depends on the timing and the environment at the time.

gelina

HSC
It all depends on traffic conditions. If you're doing that and you theres a few cars that you can even see on the M4, you're a tool.

But other than that, if the road is totally empty, it's all on you - at your own risk.

Collin

HSC
N/A
gelina said:
It all depends on traffic conditions. If you're doing that and you theres a few cars that you can even see on the M4, you're a tool.

But other than that, if the road is totally empty, it's all on you - at your own risk.
In my opinion, you're a tool for going 70km/hr over the speed limit, irrespective of the circumstances. Speed limits exist for reasons, and that isn't 'obeying it when you feel it's prudent'.

The worst I've done is around 140 in a 60 zone, during the first year of my Red Ps. And yes, I was a pretty big tool for driving like that. Not so ironically, my only traffic offence ever was for speeding. My licence got suspended, and now that I think about it, I'm pretty grateful for that.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
note that my "exessive speeds" are mainly on the straights of the M4, and like i said, i meet a car or two every 5kms or so. but seriously, the moment i jump off the m4 and go back to the 60km/h speed limit i feel a thousand microsleeps waiting inside the glovebox, so speeding helps keep me alert.

as for fines, the only one i got was a parking ticket a couple of days ago.

i wont deny some tooliness in me, but i deny absolute toolness, even when i am doing those speeds.

carreau

HSC
Speed limits are all relative to driving skill..

Thus.. Australia is predominately filled with crap drivers -> Lower speed limits

On the other hand many places in Europe have higher speed limits which in turn have required a greater deal of concentration from driver's, which in turn have resulted in fewer crashes believe it or not..

Speeding on suburban streets is stupid, no question about it, whether it's empty or not. The camber and other relative hazards of the street e.g. kids are the reason why the speed limit is so low there.

But.. On a well maintained highway who's to say when speeding becomes dangerous?

-It could be right from the very moment the driver speeds, because of his or her lack of experience in driving.

-It could be because there are many hazards surrounding the highway, e.g. the weather, road surface conditions or traffic.

But, when there is an open highway or a highway where people are required to 'speed' (from our point of view - e.g. the Autobahn')
I Believe there is nothing wrong with it.

That being said.. I am currently waiting for my suspension of license to end, three months to go!

lol..

bizadfar

HSC
carreau said:
Speed limits are all relative to driving skill..

Thus.. Australia is predominately filled with crap drivers -> Lower speed limits

On the other hand many places in Europe have higher speed limits which in turn have required a greater deal of concentration from driver's, which in turn have resulted in fewer crashes believe it or not..

Speeding on suburban streets is stupid, no question about it, whether it's empty or not. The camber and other relative hazards of the street e.g. kids are the reason why the speed limit is so low there.

But.. On a well maintained highway who's to say when speeding becomes dangerous?

-It could be right from the very moment the driver speeds, because of his or her lack of experience in driving.

-It could be because there are many hazards surrounding the highway, e.g. the weather, road surface conditions or traffic.

But, when there is an open highway or a highway where people are required to 'speed' (from our point of view - e.g. the Autobahn')
I Believe there is nothing wrong with it.

That being said.. I am currently waiting for my suspension of license to end, three months to go!

lol..
LOL

I"ll be going to melbourne for the gp. See what we"ll clock it to then :)

Jiga

I will choose to NOT believe it. I have read before this argument that countries like Germany have way better drivers then Australia, but when you look at fatalities wise (one indicator of a good driving nation), Australia is only just behind Germany and in front of many other European countries (note I have read betta links then this one below, but I cant find them... in fact on a per km basis Australia is even betta prity sure but this isnt in the one below):

http://www.driveandstayalive.com/info section/statistics/stats-multicountry-percapita-2003.htm

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
from what i heard, one of the main reasons there are "unlimited speed" roads is so that people actually buy fast cars. currently there is basically no need to get an even slightly fast/powerful car here unless it is for towing/necessity, because you cant push them anywhere other than race tracks without the chance of an officer breathing on your back.

cl3nta

HSC
veterandoggy said:
from what i heard, one of the main reasons there are "unlimited speed" roads is so that people actually buy fast cars. currently there is basically no need to get an even slightly fast/powerful car here unless it is for towing/necessity, because you cant push them anywhere other than race tracks without the chance of an officer breathing on your back.
There are plenty of roads in Australia and other means to speed on. You just need to know them and be part of groups that know them. Fairly 'safe' practice compared to doing it with 4 other mates in the car. knowing what your car can do is kind of important too but generally won't really be much of use for daily driving.

From what I read, I think you are assuming 'fast cars' don't have fast acceleration.. There's nothing wrong with accelerating as fast as you want to the speed limit ;) I'd be very contempt in any performance vehicle doing 0-60 in under 3secs :rofl:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Our roads are horrible in comparison to other countries with higher speed limits, particularly the ones with unlimited speed limits. Though the cars could certainly handle higher speeds even the best roads we have would probably need to be improved.

There are problems with consistent slow speed limits. It is true that you tend to lose concentration and get bored. People also tend to get frustrated and take unnecessary risks to get to where they are going quicker.

Sitting in the left lane trying to keep up 110 for 30 minutes gets extremely boring. Varying your speed between 120 and 130, changing lanes and overtaking really does make you more alert.

Research also shows people who speed moderately (between 10 and 20km/h over the speed limit) tend to be the safest drivers.

CieL

HSC
Haha I learn that crap in Psychology too.. with the upside-down U curve..

I tend to go 10-20kmh over the speed limit.. cos it's not like I'm overly faster than the other cars.. but it's enough for me to concentrate on the road..

But sometimes I think, what if everyone drove like me? That would be fk'd..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)