Topic Sentences... Include techniques?? (1 Viewer)

Hanakalala

HSC
Over this past year, i've had a total of two teachers and two tutors.

two of them say to include my techniques in a topic sentence for every paragraph, yet the other two say that is a big no no.

What have you guys been taught? whats the way to go?

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
NO.

Your topic sentence introduces the text and the thematic element, with the text's ideas/themes of for example, belonging. Then you can go on with your analysis which incorporates textual evidence (i.e. quotes/techniques).

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Over this past year, i've had a total of two teachers and two tutors.

two of them say to include my techniques in a topic sentence for every paragraph, yet the other two say that is a big no no.

What have you guys been taught? whats the way to go?
the two who say no are so much more correct.

Hanakalala

HSC
wow thats weird as hell. Today i met with someone who is a hsc marker yet advises all her students to include the technique in the topic sentences.. strange.. :/

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
wow thats weird as hell. Today i met with someone who is a hsc marker yet advises all her students to include the technique in the topic sentences.. strange.. :/
they're obviously not a HSC marker
Or they're lying
Like, did they even go to high school?

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
What so,

Peter Skrzynecki's poem "Post Card" illustrates his cultural ambivalence as he rhetorically questions "what's my choice to be?".

Look how ridiculous that looks, you're establishing your analysis straight away, which looks like you're focusing on one area of the rubric, without contextualising the ideas of belonging present within the texts, which is the purpose of a topic sentence.

Hanakalala

HSC
What so,

Peter Skrzynecki's poem "Post Card" illustrates his cultural ambivalence as he rhetorically questions "what's my choice to be?".

Look how ridiculous that looks, you're establishing your analysis straight away, which looks like you're focusing on one area of the rubric, without contextualising the ideas of belonging present within the texts, which is the purpose of a topic sentence.
nono, not with the quote. For example,

Peter Skrzynecki's Poem "Post Card" illustrates his cultural ambivalence with rhetorical questions and alliteration.

lol.. out of all the english teachers i've met.. there's not one who'd give me the same advice on one essay-.-

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
nono, not with the quote. For example,

Peter Skrzynecki's Poem "Post Card" illustrates his cultural ambivalence with rhetorical questions and alliteration.

lol.. out of all the english teachers i've met.. there's not one who'd give me the same advice on one essay-.-
no

that's ridiculous and pointless

why would you mention them two times lol

you'll already mention the technique with the evidence in your analysis

Hanakalala

HSC
no

that's ridiculous and pointless

why would you mention them two times lol

you'll already mention the technique with the evidence in your analysis
lol, that's exactly what i thought. but with english as my weakest subject and one hsc marker telling me this.. i started questioning myself. thanks for clarifying things up :)

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
lol, that's exactly what i thought. but with english as my weakest subject and one hsc marker telling me this.. i started questioning myself. thanks for clarifying things up :)
also

considering that you use like 4-5 different quotes in the paragraph

what will you say

"through the techniques of alliteration, rhetorical questioning, metaphors, simile"

it just sounds ridiculous and difficult to read

I did hear English teachers divided on this, at my school too...

I can't see why it's not so clear to NOT present it that way

sigh

Hanakalala

HSC
also

what will you say

"through the techniques of alliteration, rhetorical questioning, metaphors, simile"

sigh
blah, well atleast i know now!@ thank you :)
and another question (you'll probably roll your eyes and think im stupid buttt remember english is my weakest subject).. would you advise to leave each paragraph with both texts.. or one paragraph = one text?

^ thats another thing.. whatever teacher i show, they always have a different opinion? sorry to bother you ! (and sound stupid?!)

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
blah, well atleast i know now!@ thank you :)
and another question (you'll probably roll your eyes and think im stupid buttt remember english is my weakest subject).. would you advise to leave each paragraph with both texts.. or one paragraph = one text?

^ thats another thing.. whatever teacher i show, they always have a different opinion? sorry to bother you ! (and sound stupid?!)
You don't sound stupid.

Okay, so

Say you're doing Skrzynecki

One paragraph for one poem

One paragraph for another poem - linking in the first poem in comparisons (differences/similarities)

One body for ORT - comparing ideas of belonging to both poems above

That's how I structure it. You can do thematic elements as well, which is how I structure modules.

pHyRe

HSC
No techniques in intro or topic sentences pretty much I i think. Our teacher, very good, said that each paragraph should be like a mini essay. So your topic sentence your intro, then your analysis and then a conclusion. And like in an intro, your topic sentence should set up your arguement and focus that para on the question.

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
also

what will you say

sigh
O_O I've always done one paragraph for each quote. So would you use multiple quotes that support the same idea? (I do one paragraph one quote one idea)

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
O_O I've always done one paragraph for each quote. So would you use multiple quotes that support the same idea? (I do one paragraph one quote one idea)
One paragraph for one quote is way below sufficient.

What you're going to have is, the quote, then an extended, unnecessary and quoteless analysis which derives meanings which are not even there. If you have a 250 word paragraph with one quote, you will inevitably try to deduce a meaning which is not there. To be frank, you will talk shit for 250 words. You need to be sophisticated and concise. State technique correctly, analyse it relative to your thesis and topic sentence. Next line, "The notion that belonging provides a sense of identity for an individual is evident in..." i.e. you explore more facets of the underlying idea, which is difficult to do with one quote, which would mandate one super quote which possesses multifaceted notions. (i.e. it doesn't exist)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I've heard your topic sentence introduces an idea which supports your thesis. The next sentence introduces your examples, i.e. your text, and you use techniques and evidence from your text to support your idea and in whole, should support your thesis.

i.e. for relationships, if the question was "Relationships allow for the growth of individuals. Discuss." and my thesis was "Conflict within relationships contribute to an individual's growth as they grow from their experiences.", an idea I could probably introduce would be "A contrast within perspectives creates tension within relationships and allow a positive transformation within individuals as they gain new experiences."

This idea would be my topic sentence. And then I can start rattling off about my texts: "This transformation is observed within 'Text A' (text type) by composer, where etc."

Then I would bring in the techniques to support my example and finish off with a concluding sentence that links back to my thesis and idea.

Hope that helped :)

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I've heard your topic sentence introduces an idea which supports your thesis. The next sentence introduces your examples, i.e. your text, and you use techniques and evidence from your text to support your idea and in whole, should support your thesis.

i.e. for relationships, if the question was "Relationships allow for the growth of individuals. Discuss." and my thesis was "Conflict within relationships contribute to an individual's growth as they grow from their experiences.", an idea I could probably introduce would be "A contrast within perspectives creates tension within relationships and allow a positive transformation within individuals as they gain new experiences."

This idea would be my topic sentence. And then I can start rattling off about my texts: "This transformation is observed within 'Text A' (text type) by composer, where etc."

Then I would bring in the techniques to support my example and finish off with a concluding sentence that links back to my thesis and idea.

Hope that helped :)
YES!

This young one has it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)