Tough Subjects for HSC 2009 (2 Viewers)

Balmain Pride

HSC
Would having the following subjects for the HSC year be a good idea, if one was intellectual enough and perhaps self-restrained enough to even have a chance of dealing with the difficulty magnitude?

- 4U English
- 4U Maths
- 2U Anything
(This is a possible subject selection, right?)

Personally, I find this to be my best option, after finishing my 1-year TVET course this year and dropping 2 subjects (I have 14 units in year 11) which I find rather unenjoyable, due to a combination of the low quality of teachers & the modules.

My desired selection:
- 4U English
- 4U Maths
- Design & Technology

Note that I have read the syllabuses (sp?) for the 4th unit tiers and I find them to be far more interesting.

Perhaps another 2 unit subject as a back-up? Would it be worth it to deal with another source of unwanted pressure and stress?

What can I expect from the workload of the listed subjects?

Also, a friend of mine has said that doing indepth subjects that require a profound wit is more beneficial to the mind than doing light subjects that cover a large range of subjects.

These are just some of the things I need to know before I decide on what HSC subjects I should do.

HSC
That isn't a possible subject selection because you need to do 10 units but you also need to do at least 4 different subjects.

I would say do that (with another subject) if you feel that you can, but even so it would actually be a good idea not to start off with only 10 units as you may find that it becomes too much, especially since you want to do two 4 unit subjects. I know several people who did this and just ended up dropping EE2 because the workload is overwhelming and no doubt stressful.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Balmain Pride said:
Would having the following subjects for the HSC year be a good idea, if one was intellectual enough and perhaps self-restrained enough to even have a chance of dealing with the difficulty magnitude?

- 4U English
- 4U Maths
- 2U Anything

Personally, I find this to be my best option, after finishing my 1-year TVET course this year and dropping 2 subjects (I have 14 units in year 11) which I find rather unenjoyable, due to a combination of the low quality of teachers & the modules.

My desired selection:
- 4U English
- 4U Maths
- Design & Technology

Note that I have read the syllabuses (sp?) for the 4th unit tiers and I find them to be far more interesting.

Perhaps another 2 unit subject as a back-up? Would it be worth it to deal with another source of unwanted pressure and stress?

Also, a friend of mine has said that doing indepth subjects that require a profound wit is more beneficial to the mind than doing light subjects that cover a large range of subjects.

These are just some of the things I need to know before I decide on what HSC subjects I should do.
That subject combi is impossible as you have to have 4 or more subjects. Having that combi only gives you 3 subjects.

bawd

HSC
As everyone has said before me, that subject combination is impossible. I'd choose another 2 unit subject to do on top.

shaon0

HSC
Balmain Pride said:

- 4U English
- 4U Maths
- 2U Anything

My desired selection:
- 4U English
- 4U Maths
- Design & Technology

Its quite possible if you had another subject. And i have seen a couple of people do these subjects with Chemistry and Physics and they did really well in their HSC and hence got a really good UAI.
So try it if you want.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
shaon0 said:
Its quite possible if you had another subject. And i have seen a couple of people do these subjects with Chemistry and Physics and they did really well in their HSC and hence got a really good UAI.
So try it if you want.
sif 4u english would get you a good UAI. it only scales about as well as 3u. It would be better to do 3u english instead so you can save some time to play DMC4! :D

shaon0

HSC
foram said:
sif 4u english would get you a good UAI. it only scales about as well as 3u. It would be better to do 3u english instead so you can save some time to play DMC4! :D
obviously it would scale well if u did well in it but wats DMC4?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
foram said:
Well, not everyone needs to play computer games. ;)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
foram said:
Agreed. I would prefer doing Business Studies over Economics so that I can have more time playing my PSP.

bettina44

HSC
i would do ext 2 of maths or english but not both cause they're wouldn't be a point doing 12 units

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
as people said that is an impossible selection as for you need 4 differing subjects. Personally if I'd take up a 2 unit subject, but personally i think that will be a very big work load, so think extremely carefully.

and by your subjects (which i got from your profile 3unit maths, 3unit english, DT, physics, modern history, CAD@TAFE ) i would do the 4U Eng or 4U Maths (do one as only 3 unit subject), Physics, Modern, History Ex or keep DT (but thats my opinion don't have to take what i said, just an idea)

Last edited:

catherinet

HSC
sikhman said:
devil may cry 4.....pretty crap game lol

but yeah, if you get 48+ in 4u english....i doubt ur uai would be that low (assuming you did reasonably well in other subs)

WHAT!?
"48+".. Isn't it out if 50?

SimonLee13

HSC
Unless you accelerated in yr 11, you can't do 3 subjects in yr 12. A person above suggested to take up a dud subject so you have 4 subjects but you don't try in that one.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
It is possible to do really well with 4u maths and english. One of my friends did both in 2006 with modern history and society and culture (neither of which are really high scaling subjects) and she got 99+.

But it is a massive workload. 4unit maths is a big enough workload for me :p If you are passionate about both and think that you will be able to manage it, go for it!

If you want to know about workloads for each subject you are best off posting a thread in the subject forums asking about the workload of each subject. Obviously it will depend from person to person based on how much effort they put in etc.

Last edited:

Aplus

HSC
N/A
midifile said:
It is possible to do really well with 4u maths and english. One of my friends did both in 2006 with modern history and society and culture (neither of which are really high scaling subjects) and she got 99+.
Yeah, I know a person who achieved 100 UAI, and she did both 4U Maths and English.

mazarati

HSC
well, why do you want to do both 4 units?

Pride? Scales high?

But if you think you have the self-discipline to work on them...

You need to do a minimum of 4 subjects in yr12.

How about :
4u maths
4u english
2u something
2u something else

12 isn't too big a workload.

jessiminica

HSC
Why is everyone saying you need 4 subjects? We've ALWAYS been told three.

I'm intending to do something similar to you, except I'm keeping an extra 2 unit subject just in case. I'm going for 4U english, 4U maths, physics and music. I reckon you should keep an extra to be safe, but if you're coping well in both the 4U subjects, then ditch one of your 2 units. If you like D&T, then do it. 2x 4U subjects, if you do well in them, will give you a pretty high UAI cmbined with pretty much anything else, and if you do well in D&T, you'll be set.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
jessiminica said:
Why is everyone saying you need 4 subjects? We've ALWAYS been told three.

I'm intending to do something similar to you, except I'm keeping an extra 2
you were told wrong

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)