Travelling 1hr+ to uni (1 Viewer)

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
or you could be sitting in a share-y having some beers with cool people your own age and with your own interests, living your own life instead of hanging around with your parents and leeching off their hard work.

lol.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
not that i ever bothered with this, although i do get to pretend when im on campus for 2 weeks..
but..
i think that the essence of university life is marked by poverty and the ability to sustain oneself off noodles, goon and $5 schnitzel nights

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
katie tully said:
not that i ever bothered with this, although i do get to pretend when im on campus for 2 weeks..
but..
i think that the essence of university life is marked by poverty and the ability to sustain oneself off noodles, goon and $5 schnitzel nights
can i get an amen?

...but the thing is, if you work a couple days a week there's no reason why you cant have some nice things once in a while, like 2 for one cocktails.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
and occasionally you can bum out and go to the mess hall for a feed, but self catered is the way to go

and some bars have good uni nights when you can get cheap booze

and most people share stuff, there is nothing like the comradery formed between those who are thrown together and forced to fend for themselves

/end philosophical rant

but im srs, if i had my time again i'd totally live on campus. it's mucheous fun. and by 4th year, if you've had enough you can always rent in town with friends and still have fun

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
I hated hated hated hated living on campus. Completely not for me. I couldn't live in Wollongong either though - I'm too much of a city person.

One good thing about my commute is that I do all my readings and occasionally entire assignments on the train so I don't have to do that when I'm home. I know a lot of people can't do that though but it works out so well for me.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
i can study on the train, but I don't absorb that much

cyl123

HSC
Smeegen999 said:
My dilemma is that I live in wollongong and want to do commerce at unsw or usyd (moving up there is not an option, at least this year anyway). I am wondering if it is worth the travel ??(1.5hrs+ prob by train or car) or should I just go to the local uni.

I'd like to know peoples opinions who travel for over an hour to get to uni (or are planning to). How do u get to uni/how long does it take? What's it like? Do you regret picking a uni so far away etc..
I also live in Wollongong and have been commuting to UNSW for a year now doing commerce/science. Whether the travel is worth it depends what you plan to get out of travelling to UNSW. I'm finding it worthwhile cos I'm doing actuarial studies, something not offered in wollongong. If you are doing something that could be offered in wollongong, i would recommend that you do that instead unless you feel you would gain much more by going to sydney. And if you plan on having a social life in uni while commuting, you will be sorely disappointed.

travelling time is near 2 hours with 1.5 hours train and on avg 15 minutes bus (depends on bus queue, traffic, etc.). I usually catch morning trains (which gets packed as you approach sutherland, hurstville etc.) and come home at times around 4-6 (around peak hour). You can survive while commuting and its a great money saver, but you will definitely get sick of it.

Some tips:
-Its best that you catch trains from the major stations such as Wollongong as they offer express trains, which are fast and dont come with fking annoying school kids who never shut up. If you have the misfortune to catch one of those slow trains, then dont bother trying to sleep on the train.
-MX newspapers from Central station is a great light read on the ride home.
-Since you are doing commerce (around 12 hours of uni a week), you can easily cram all your subjects into 3-4 days, which is best even if you end up having many hours in one day. TRUST ME, doing 6 hours of uni per day for 3 days (what i did) is much better than spreading out hours to all 5 days.
-Plan to use your time at uni wisely. If you have gaps in class, use it to do work/social activities/tutor consultations. since you will use 4 hours a day just to get to uni, you might as well maximise the benefit going there.
-having friends commute with you makes the trip infinitely faster and more enjoyable.
-if you want to study on the train, do light work which only requires a small amount of brainwork such as reading, doing easy exercises. Do not attempt work requiring deep thought or high levels of concentrations.

So far no regrets about the uni, but im definitely getting sick of commuting and plan to move up soon. Also with the train price hike its not getting easier.

HSC
hollyy. said:
I live on the central coast and plan to go to unsw. so thats a long way, but meh. my main worry is getting lost lol.
my school was 15 min away but it took 30mins on the bus to get there and back and in the arvo my friend and i had to wait 40-50 min for the bus to show up after the stupid primary schools, so thats well over an hr.
Same. 2.5 hours to UNSW all up.

Am I the only one who thinks you don't just "get used to it"? I was commuting around 2.5 hours per day for the last 6 years of high school and my body didn't magically wake up ready to go at 5:30 in the morning. Now I'll be doubling my commuting time. At least the train trip after Gosford has some nice scenery...

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
veloc1ty said:
Same. 2.5 hours to UNSW all up.

Am I the only one who thinks you don't just "get used to it"? I was commuting around 2.5 hours per day for the last 6 years of high school and my body didn't magically wake up ready to go at 5:30 in the morning. Now I'll be doubling my commuting time. At least the train trip after Gosford has some nice scenery...
gahh thats heaps :(.
i agreee that waking up is really hard. i also tend to get really crabby when woke up abruptly by an evil alarm clock. where would you get on? tuggerah for me.

the only prob with studying on the train is that i can get extremely motion sick sometimes. spesh if im reading/watching a movie. suxx.

HSC
hollyy. said:
gahh thats heaps :(.
i agreee that waking up is really hard. i also tend to get really crabby when woke up abruptly by an evil alarm clock. where would you get on? tuggerah for me.

the only prob with studying on the train is that i can get extremely motion sick sometimes. spesh if im reading/watching a movie. suxx.
I'll be getting on at Warnervale (which is a little annoying, because express trains skip it).

I think the best way to wake up and be alert is having your alarm far enough away that you need to get out of bed to turn it off, then immediately leaving the room and splashing your face with cold water. The only problem is that with a groggy mind and warm bed behind you, this course of action is easily forgotten. XD

Smeegen999

HSC
cyl123 said:
I also live in Wollongong and have been commuting to UNSW for a year now doing commerce/science. Whether the travel is worth it depends what you plan to get out of travelling to UNSW. I'm finding it worthwhile cos I'm doing actuarial studies, something not offered in wollongong. If you are doing something that could be offered in wollongong, i would recommend that you do that instead unless you feel you would gain much more by going to sydney. And if you plan on having a social life in uni while commuting, you will be sorely disappointed.

travelling time is near 2 hours with 1.5 hours train and on avg 15 minutes bus (depends on bus queue, traffic, etc.). I usually catch morning trains (which gets packed as you approach sutherland, hurstville etc.) and come home at times around 4-6 (around peak hour). You can survive while commuting and its a great money saver, but you will definitely get sick of it.

Some tips:
-Its best that you catch trains from the major stations such as Wollongong as they offer express trains, which are fast and dont come with fking annoying school kids who never shut up. If you have the misfortune to catch one of those slow trains, then dont bother trying to sleep on the train.
-MX newspapers from Central station is a great light read on the ride home.
-Since you are doing commerce (around 12 hours of uni a week), you can easily cram all your subjects into 3-4 days, which is best even if you end up having many hours in one day. TRUST ME, doing 6 hours of uni per day for 3 days (what i did) is much better than spreading out hours to all 5 days.
-Plan to use your time at uni wisely. If you have gaps in class, use it to do work/social activities/tutor consultations. since you will use 4 hours a day just to get to uni, you might as well maximise the benefit going there.
-having friends commute with you makes the trip infinitely faster and more enjoyable.
-if you want to study on the train, do light work which only requires a small amount of brainwork such as reading, doing easy exercises. Do not attempt work requiring deep thought or high levels of concentrations.

So far no regrets about the uni, but im definitely getting sick of commuting and plan to move up soon. Also with the train price hike its not getting easier.
this is awesome. thanks so much for your help and advice! :)

edit: I've decided to stay in w'gong, basically because I'll be essentially doing the same degree, i cbf to travel + i want to have a social life

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
i live in the blue mountains, and my train ride is roughly 1.5 hours each way (give or take a bit) + maybe 5-15 minutes to bus or train/walk to usyd. it isn't fun, but it's bearable, since the blue mountains line has comfy trains that aren't too crowded. i can't concentrate enough to study on the train, other than maybe skimming readings, so most of the time i just listen to the radio or music on my phone, which makes the time pass fairly quickly. so don't decide that you shouldn't go somewhere just because it's a long way from your home by public transport. it's definitely something you can manage if you really want to go to a particular uni.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
I have a one hour drive from MQ to Penrith. I find driving pretty therapeutic anyway. Its not like i would study on the train anyway - I procrastinate at the best of times.

At the end of the day, its only three years that you have to do it and the long term benefits are there for all to see.

Zeestylez

HSC
MacFields4191 said:
Same problem here. Business UWS or Business Wollongong? Wollongong is like and hour away, so i dont know. PLus, UWS offers the Smart Start $2000 payment. Wat should i do?
sameee situation buddyy.. my parents are so against me going wollongong lol but i dont want to go uws..

Miss Winey

HSC
cyl123 said:
I

-MX newspapers from Central station is a great light read on the ride home..
MX is possibly the worst "newspaper" to ever hit the hands of the Australian public.
It makes us all petty, celebrity enthusied, angry, materialistic small minded idiots.
I wish it would DIE

the rest of that post was pretty good.
I travel 1.5 hours to uni each way.
I love the "chill out" to ponder the meaning of life, read something that will open my mind, talk to randoms (and got a job!!!), catchup on my readings, find random friends i havn't seen in like forever and teaching myself the value of patience and personal discipline.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
The reason i am going to go to wollongong is because of the 20 minute drive there each day ( provided I get my P's otherwise i am screwed).

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Zeestylez said:
sameee situation buddyy.. my parents are so against me going wollongong lol but i dont want to go uws..
why would they be against you going to wolllongong

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
the way my uni timetable's worked out... best possible scenario is 5 days a week, 2 hours per day (except one where there's 3 hours)

And it takes me one and a half hours each way...

that's more travelling time per day then actually being in uni

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)