Trials And Hsc (1 Viewer)

seano77

Walk On
HSC
bling05 said:
WRONG.

You keep your external HSC mark no matter what.
I don't know..

From Board of Studies document:
"A useful way of thinking about the moderation process is to view each school group
studying a course as earning a total number of examination marks in the examination.
The moderation procedures then distribute this total of marks in such a way that the rank order of the students as submitted by the school is not changed. "

But there is a lot of conflicting information.. I've heard people say, like here that you keep your external mark.

Also, from 'FAQ: The correct answers to commonly asked questions- read before you post.' from UAI/HSC Marks (Guidance & Counsel)

"Q. What happens if i stuff up the trials? Is it game over?

A. Since the trials will often be worth 40-50% of your assessment mark, performing very poorly in the trials can have a significantly detrimental impact on your final rankings and thus your final HSC marks."

Last edited:

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Twilight25 said:
A friend told me that if i fail trials, that means that i wont be able to redeem myself in the hsc
I got my sights set on you and I'm ready to aim
I have a heart that will never be tamed
I knew you were something special
When you spoke my name
Now I can't wait to see you again

I've got a way of knowing when something is right
I feel like I must have known you in another life
Cause I felt this deep connection when you looked in my eyes
Now I can't wait to see you again

[Chorus:]
The last time I freaked out
I just kept looking down
I st-st-stuttered when you asked me what I'm thinking about
Felt like I couldn't breath
You asked what's wrong with me
My best friend Lesley said "Oh she's just being Miley"
The next time we hang out
I will redeem myself
My heart can't rest till then
Woh woh I
I can't wait to see you again

I got this crazy feeling, deep inside
When you called and asked to see me tomorrow night
I'm not a mind reader but I'm reading the signs
That you can't wait to see me again

[Chorus]

I got my sights set on you and I'm ready to aim

[Chorus]

Woh woh I
I can't wait to see you again

danno1990

HSC
NorthRiversMatt said:
Yes but your school rank too. Lot of people from here last year went to uni this year. So yea my school is in one of top in NSW!!! Sorry made you jealous lol.
Trials doesn't affect your UAI.
Im thinking "NorthRiversMatt" means your from the Northern Rivers and so i can make you jealous... my school was the first in the Northern Rivers, well from newcastle to the border last year!!

runnable

HSC
seano77 said:
But thats only if they're ranked first internally, and if they fail their trials its probably assumed they dont rank first.

A person keeps their external mark.

eddy11

HSC
how does your assessment mark impact on UAI, or is it just your rank that gets used. For example is it an advantage for person A from school A to get 90 in chemistry, rank 1, rather then person B from school B who gets 80 but still rank 1, assuming A and B get the same external.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
seano77 said:
I don't know..

From Board of Studies document:
"A useful way of thinking about the moderation process is to view each school group
studying a course as earning a total number of examination marks in the examination.
The moderation procedures then distribute this total of marks in such a way that the rank order of the students as submitted by the school is not changed. "

But there is a lot of conflicting information.. I've heard people say, like here that you keep your external mark.

Also, from 'FAQ: The correct answers to commonly asked questions- read before you post.' from UAI/HSC Marks (Guidance & Counsel)

"Q. What happens if i stuff up the trials? Is it game over?

A. Since the trials will often be worth 40-50% of your assessment mark, performing very poorly in the trials can have a significantly detrimental impact on your final rankings and thus your final HSC marks."
That's your FINAL HSC mark, not your external.

You keep your external mark regardless.

iluvGG

HSC
so, say if you fail 3 unit maths trial (which i think i did today), but have gone very well in the other assessments and the other trials, this won't hurt your UAI that much if you perform well in the HSC exam?!?

conics2008

HSC
Twilight25 said:
I hope ur right :confused:

I just want 80+

thats all
go to the mcdonalds website if i were yoou..

you screwd up your life.. you might aswell get a job at macs or KFC.

that shit is low man.

Twilight25

HSC
conics2008 said:
go to the mcdonalds website if i were yoou..

you screwd up your life.. you might aswell get a job at macs or KFC.

that shit is low man.
thanks

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Its not over until you have done your external HSC exams

porquoispas

HSC
eddy11 said:
how does your assessment mark impact on UAI, or is it just your rank that gets used. For example is it an advantage for person A from school A to get 90 in chemistry, rank 1, rather then person B from school B who gets 80 but still rank 1, assuming A and B get the same external.
Both A and B would get the same HSC mark for that subject if they were to get the highest externals in their school. But depending on the calibre of students of the school, if a student who is not ranked first in school A gets the highest extrnal mark in their school, because student A is ranked first that mark will become their moderated assessment mark but they keep their external. So it really would depend on the assessment mark. Although its very likely that the person who ranks first internally also ranks first externally.

tambourine

HSC
ok this is what i've been told...if u get ranked first internally...u get the top mark of the external HSC exams...so lets say u get ranked first and person B is second...and u get say 82 in the HSC exam and they get 92...u get the 92 because u are ranked first internally...thats what i've been told...but what i'm hoping is that we get our external marks regardless of our ranks...because i see it unfair if someone else gets my mark, and i theirs, if i get a higher mark than them...so if its the way i just said it..then u can't redeem urself coz i'm assuming ur rank isn't good with the marks from ur trials...but if its how some other people have said it...(where u get ur external mark regardless)...then yes u can....i'm hoping they're right though :)
also tommykins said something about the final HSC mark...what did he mean? lol

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
tambourine said:
ok this is what i've been told...if u get ranked first internally...u get the top mark of the external HSC exams...so lets say u get ranked first and person B is second...and u get say 82 in the HSC exam and they get 92...u get the 92 because u are ranked first internally...thats what i've been told...but what i'm hoping is that we get our external marks regardless of our ranks...because i see it unfair if someone else gets my mark, and i theirs, if i get a higher mark than them...
It's unfair that someone can bludge throughout the whole year and just smash the externals and end up beating someone whos been working consistently throughout the year.

tambourine said:
also tommykins said something about the final HSC mark...what did he mean? lol
Internal + External divided by 2.

gaaay

HSC
this mite be a stupid questionm
but can we use highlighters in hsc exams
esp english extended response questions, where i can highlight the techniques

karnage

HSC
gaaay said:
this mite be a stupid questionm
but can we use highlighters in hsc exams
esp english extended response questions, where i can highlight the techniques
Um.... my friend uses one in maths to highlight the Q's because its gets really messy at times.

Prob a waste of precious time to point out where you made ur techniques and quotes and stuff. The markers should be able to spot it out.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Your final HSC mark is made up from TWO different marks

1) calculated internally which is moderated by the BOS to the external marks earned by the class/cohort - called your assessment mark

2) your external exam mark

The first mark is where the ranks are really important, along with the relative gaps between students in the class/cohort because the BOS moderates these marks, keeping the ranks and relative differences based on the external exam marks.

The second mark is the external exam mark. This mark is always your own.

The first mark is adjusted so that the range of marks and the total marks earned by the school/class/cohort are equal (at least the top mark will usually be the same and the bottom mark is often the same).

Once the assessment mark has been calculated the two marks are added together and divided by 2 to give you your final actual HSC mark.

With the assessments no one is getting another person's mark as such. The BOS uses the exam marks to determine the range and total marks for your class/cohort. It they didn't do something then teachers could massively inflate students marks. This way the ranks and relative gaps are what are important.

Here is an extreme example but say school A is really hard on its marking and sends in a range of marks of between 50 and 70 and school B is really easy and send in a range of marks of between 70 and 90 if only those marks stood then school A's students would be disadvantaged. However if both schools exam marks are between 60 and 80 then school A will be adjusted upwards and School B downwards to ensure that the students are then on an equal footing. The exam result suggests that the range of abilities is the same in both schools so the BOS moderated the assessment marks to reflect that similarity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)